Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 33

AlpineZone

Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    So congrats again to the new soon-to-be Dads in the thread.

As to Vail takeover, I encourage folks to listen to their Podcast that recently came out. Be forewarned there is a lot of self-administered pats on the back and some spin (to be expected), but the sense I have gotten is that they generally come in and see who is on the ground and try to work with them and keep them in the company if they can. Granted, there are some exceptions of course, but the impression I got and they seem to put out there is that they will use the better talent of an acquisition and even move or promote them. The guy in the first episode was a higher-up at Park City and Vail retained him and promoted him. Another guy (it might be the same guy...I can't remember) was excited to be promoted to the head of Keystone (IIRC) or something like that.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post

As to Vail takeover, I encourage folks to listen to their Podcast that recently came out. Be forewarned there is a lot of self-administered pats on the back and some spin (to be expected), but the sense I have gotten is that they generally come in and see who is on the ground and try to work with them and keep them in the company if they can. Granted, there are some exceptions of course, but the impression I got and they seem to put out there is that they will use the better talent of an acquisition and even move or promote them. The guy in the first episode was a higher-up at Park City and Vail retained him and promoted him. Another guy (it might be the same guy...I can't remember) was excited to be promoted to the head of Keystone (IIRC) or something like that.
    Listened to that one as well this past week. It was the same guy who wasa finance guy at Park City pre Vail merger, then was identified by Vail as a leader they saw talent in, was promoted into a GM roll about a year after the Park City merger at their newly acquired Mount Brighton to oversee a full redevelopment of the mountain post Vail aquisition, and then through lateral promotions was then promoted to the GM at Keystone.

I thought Rob Katz's comment about what Vail does post acquisition when they start the integration of a new resort into Vail Resorts operations was quite interesting when he said (paraphrasing here) - it's not like on Day 1 after the merger goes through a bus full of current Vail Resorts employees shows up and tells all existing employees of the acquired resorts that they're fired.

The other one of the Epic by Nature podcast episodes I felt gave some decent insight into what their corporate philosophy about identifying, developing, and then placing people into leadership roles within the company, and then continuing to help those individuals expand their leadership skills and achieve their career goals, was the podcast about women leaders.

I agree with TB that obviously Rob Katz and Vail Resorts are going to put their best shine on these podcasts, however, there's a bunch of substance in them as well, where you get the distinct sense that just like any business, they want to identify, recruit, develop, retain, and help enable talent to allow the company to thrive as best possible

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    Let's say you wake up at 4:00 on Saturday morning in Newark and have the option to go to the west (let's say Utah) or let's say Killington. You can head to the airport and be on a flight, on the ground, in a car, and skiing Snowbird at 9:30. Good luck being at Killington by 9:30. South of NYC it's definitely quicker to fly west and, depending on where you're going, easier.
    Uh... no.

Let's look at Saturday, February 1st as an example. The earliest arrival into Salt Lake City for a flight departing Newark is 10:37 AM. After you land, you still have to get your luggage and get to Snowbird. Add at least an hour for that. So the earliest you could pull into the parking lot, assuming everything goes absolutely perfectly, is 11:37 AM - which is really 1:37 PM EST.

Congrats to BG and EPB as well!

In terms of the Vail takeover - As someone that has been through multiple corporate mergers, take anything said by execs as part of their "strategy" with a grain of salt. They almost always say the "right things" initially about what they want to do. And there absolutely will be examples of people they want to keep and promote, etc. However there will also be many redundant positions eliminated and many people that quietly disappear once they understand who does what and how valuable or necessary different people are.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    In terms of the Vail takeover - As someone that has been through multiple corporate mergers, take anything said by execs as part of their "strategy" with a grain of salt. They almost always say the "right things" initially about what they want to do. And there absolutely will be examples of people they want to keep and promote, etc. However there will also be many redundant positions eliminated and many people that quietly disappear once they understand who does what and how valuable or necessary different people are.
    This is spot on. Did you really think that they are going to say, "Yeah, we are going to do some cleaning house."

Mergers and acquisitions always involve the elimination of redundancy. Always.

It is possible that they like to retain as many people as is commercially reasonable, but they will definitely be looking at improving efficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    You just got lucky
    Pretty much. Though truth be told Lake Placid is such a great town that even if we have to bail on a day of skiing we can find something else fun to do. My wife grew up XC skiing in Vermont, and snowshoeing is always fun, etc... Still need to take their "Be a Biathlete" course one of these days too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Congrats epb and BG!
    Congrats to BG and EPB as well!
    Thanks guys.

THIS.

If management is telling the truth immediately post any acquisition, you need new management.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

This should stop all the ongoing argument and 2 cent comments - thankfully.........

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...hoo&yptr=yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by catskillman View Post
    This should stop all the ongoing argument and 2 cent comments - thankfully.........

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...hoo&yptr=yahoo
    Translation: EPB knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Here's a great example of management BS regarding M&A, directly from that article.

While Katz wouldn’t rule out investment in more urban areas, he also said there were “only select locations left” near major snow-generating cities that aren’t under the Vail umbrella.
    That is a 100% Wall Street placating answer designed to keep his stock from dropping. And it is the correct answer, meaning it is a lie.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Not having the Midweek pass at Hunter is going to piss off a lot of locals
    NEVER SUMMER!

Thread Information