• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

mister moose

Yeah, Vermont isnt much of a fly-to-ski destination. As you say, it obviously happens, but if flying to Vermont to ski became illegal (LOL) I doubt the resorts would bat an eyelash. I will say, however, that when I worked at Stowe I was always surprised how many Brits came here to ski given they have far superior terrain closer, but when you look at their itinerary closer, they almost always tended to be people who were going to visit NYC or other USA sights on a 2 week trip, and skiing was just a 2 to 4 day diversion.
The Brits I talk to on the lift come here for the language, the hospitality, and shopping in NYC; they rotate trips with Europe. I talk to folks from FL & DC that flew to VT or frequently BOS. Many that do have family to visit in the Northeast. You also see a fair bit of Canadians that came from Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, etc, many drive but some fly. I've also seen Bermuda. I've seen Alaska license plates in the lot!

Last edited:

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I'm trying to think of another season pass to a mountain in the Northeast in general (never-mind just the Cats) that is as pricey as the Windham one...so far I'm coming up empty. Could they really now be the most expensive pass in the Northeast?
I think they are!
Nice town and restaurants though. 14 miles from Hunter. If you can force yourself to drive by Vesuvios's without just stopping there.

Quietman

So I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out Crotched's window prices for tickets for the coming season. Weekend tickets went up only $2 from $69 to $71 and weekdays went from $55 to $61. Online tickets are still discounted to $45-$55 for most weekends. I don't know what Mount Snow was last year, but I think that the daily window rate of $118 has to be a decent increase. Online tickets are currently available from $40-$60.
I wonder if the online discounts will change after the sale is closed.

urungus

So I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out Crotched's window prices for tickets for the coming season. Weekend tickets went up only $2 from $69 to $71 and weekdays went from $55 to $61. Online tickets are still discounted to $45-$55 for most weekends. I don't know what Mount Snow was last year, but I think that the daily window rate of $118 has to be a decent increase. Online tickets are currently available from $40-$60.
I wonder if the online discounts will change after the sale is closed.

Last year at Mount Snow the window rate was $110 according to https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/timeline/vt-ticketprices.php

BenedictGomez

So I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out Crotched's window prices for tickets for the coming season. Weekend tickets went up only $2 from $69 to $71 and weekdays went from $55 to $61.

Unless they had not raised prices for several years, I would not view 3% & 11% increases positively.

Quietman

Unless they had not raised prices for several years, I would not view 3% & 11% increases positively.

A $2 increase with online discounts intact at the Crotch is a lot better than I expected. Wawa, an independent area is also going up by $2 from $71 to $73, just saying. I don't have the time to look up other major areas, because I don't ski them. Crotched is a local mountain, not a resort.

cdskier

A $2 increase with online discounts intact at the Crotch is a lot better than I expected. Wawa, an independent area is also going up by $2 from $71 to $73, just saying. I don't have the time to look up other major areas, because I don't ski them. Crotched is a local mountain, not a resort.

Any increases you see this year are just pretty much business as usual and what was already planned before the merger. What (if anything) changes next year once the merger is actually complete and Vail better understands how each property works will be more telling about the actual Vail impact.

Quietman

Any increases you see this year are just pretty much business as usual and what was already planned before the merger. What (if anything) changes next year once the merger is actually complete and Vail better understands how each property works will be more telling about the actual Vail impact.

Agree 100%!

BenedictGomez

Any increases you see this year are just pretty much business as usual and what was already planned before the merger.

THIS.

Deal is not closed, Vail cannot yet effect any price changes on tickets.

That said, an 11% increase in weekday tickets is a huge YoY increase, and just another, albeit minor, data point supporting the rampant single day lift ticket increases taking place in the industry.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Interesting note... the website headline for Mount Snow is no longer "Mount Snow is now EPIC" and all Vail literature/logo has been removed. They still have links to Peak Passes available and no sign of Vail corporate anything.

mbedle

Interesting note... the website headline for Mount Snow is no longer "Mount Snow is now EPIC" and all Vail literature/logo has been removed. They still have links to Peak Passes available and no sign of Vail corporate anything.

That is interesting. Not sure what is going on. nothing at vailresorts.com. Interesting that the epicpass.com website is also different, not listing the peak resorts in the list of resorts, just noting it on the side.

drjeff

Given that Vail Resorts made some corporate level personel moves via a press release today - some home offices retirements and promotions of various GM's to either home office company wide positions or bigger resort GM positions, as well as announcing that the guy who was GM at Okemo was promoted to a position where he will oversee all of Vail's Eastern Resorts including the Peak Resorts once the deal closes, not sure one should read much into the lack of mentioning the other properties on their respective company owned resorts websites
That is interesting. Not sure what is going on. nothing at vailresorts.com. Interesting that the epicpass.com website is also different, not listing the peak resorts in the list of resorts, just noting it on the side.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Given that Vail Resorts made some corporate level personel moves via a press release today - some home offices retirements and promotions of various GM's to either home office company wide positions or bigger resort GM positions, as well as announcing that the guy who was GM at Okemo was promoted to a position where he will oversee all of Vail's Eastern Resorts including the Peak Resorts once the deal closes, not sure one should read much into the lack of mentioning the other properties on their respective company owned resorts websites

And in the e-mail I just received that the last chance for the lowest Epic pass prices is coming up it still mentions that the Peak resorts are "Coming soon" and lists them all.

drjeff

Given that on the latest episode of Vail Resorts Epic by Nature podcast, which was released yesterday (8/28) Rob Katz, Vail Resorts CEO, literally says "and when we close on the Peak Resorts properties we'll have 37 resorts that we operate" I definitely wouldn't read much at all into the changes to the webpages

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app