• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

cdskier

Depends on what Epic pass product that you're interested in and when when you bought your Peak pass as I understand it. The details of all the options I'm guessing will be released in the very near future.

The details are pretty much in the FAQ right now. If you purchased your Peaks pass prior to 7/22 (when the merger was announced), you pay the difference based on the Epic prices as of the announcement date. If you purchased after the merger was announced, you pay the difference of whatever the price is today (or rather on the day you call to upgrade).

thebigo

Its 40$. Just called them. Its a no brainer! I get to ski at Park City for 40$ for a week. I am gooood with that!

How did they calculate $40? I thought it was $70. Are they going to mail your pass or do you have to pick it up?

drjeff

How did they calculate $40? I thought it was $70. Are they going to mail your pass or do you have to pick it up?

Looks like for everyone who had bought the Peak pass products before the merger was announced that Vail decided to use the cost of an Epic pass product on that date (7/22) instead of the 9/1 date when the last increaes happened as many had thought they would.

A nice gesture to those Peak pass early purchasers on the part of Vail to help say "welcome" to the family. Can't say that as a beneficiary of that, that me and the other 3 Peak passholding members of my family are complaining as our travels for races and just plain old fun days on the hill will have us likely at 3 or 4 Epic resorts that our Peak passes wouldn't have covered this season

drjeff

Nice. It’s done. Let’s get some people fired now.

Hate to brake it to you, but your "pink slip jubilation party" is going to have to wait until at least the end of this ski season...

One of Rob Katz's formal statements today. And I'm changing the color of his text that directly pertains to this...

"InsideEpic.com

Today, I am excited to share that the following 17 ski areas have joined Vail Resorts, bringing our total number of resorts to 37:
• Mount Snow in Vermont
• Hunter Mountain in New York
• Attitash Mountain Resort, Wildcat Mountain and Crotched Mountain in New Hampshire
• Liberty Mountain Resort, Roundtop Mountain Resort, Whitetail Resort, Jack Frost and Big Boulder in Pennsylvania
• Alpine Valley, Boston Mills, Brandywine and Mad River Mountain in Ohio
• Hidden Valley and Snow Creek in Missouri
• Paoli Peaks in Indiana
These additional offerings near major urban areas including New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Columbus, St. Louis, Kansas City and Louisville will expand access and diversify the experiences available to our guests.
In anticipation of this milestone, we recently announced that Doug Pierini, currently COO, Okemo and Northeast region, will expand his leadership responsibility to oversee the newly formed Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions that include the 17 Peak Resorts ski areas.
We have carefully considered the alignment of the new ski areas within the Vail Resorts operating model,and in order to maintain business continuity and tap into their knowledge of their unique resorts, each of the general managers and senior leadership teams that are located in resort will remain in their roles as part of this new regional leadership structure reporting into Doug effective today. Please see here for more details.
From an operations perspective, we are focused on ramp-up for the upcoming winter season and are committed to minimizing disruption. We plan on spending the next several months understanding the current systems and processes in order to build a robust integration plan, with the majority of the critical integration activities taking place following the 2019-2020 season. I hope you will all join me in welcoming what will be more than 10,000 new employees to Vail Resorts on this very exciting day for our Company.
Rob

Rob Katz
Chief Executive Officer"

thebigo

Looks like for everyone who had bought the Peak pass products before the merger was announced that Vail decided to use the cost of an Epic pass product on that date (7/22) instead of the 9/1 date when the last increaes happened as many had thought they would.

A nice gesture to those Peak pass early purchasers on the part of Vail to help say "welcome" to the family. Can't say that as a beneficiary of that, that me and the other 3 Peak passholding members of my family are complaining as our travels for races and just plain old fun days on the hill will have us likely at 3 or 4 Epic resorts that our Peak passes wouldn't have covered this season

I called on the way home and was told it would cost my wife and I $70 each to swap from peak to epic local and we bought in march. $40 vs $70 isn't a big deal but it would be $310 for my older daughter to switch. Not worth $450 for a few days at sunapee.

Does vail do the ski free in the spring with early buy deal? When does epic typically go on sale?

Was disappointed to be told they do not offer a direct to lift pass for kids under 5, waiting in line everyday for a ticket will get old fast.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I called on the way home and was told it would cost my wife and I $70 each to swap from peak to epic local and we bought in march. $40 vs $70 isn't a big deal but it would be $310 for my older daughter to switch. Not worth $450 for a few days at sunapee.

Does vail do the ski free in the spring with early buy deal? When does epic typically go on sale?

Was disappointed to be told they do not offer a direct to lift pass for kids under 5, waiting in line everyday for a ticket will get old fast.
Check with your local mtn on this.

drjeff

I have from a very good source, and new as of today Vail Resorts employee, who knows a wee bit about the marketing side of this, that there will very soon be a chart put out with the upgrade costs based on when you purchased your Peak pass product

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

"We plan on spending the next several months understanding the current systems and processes in order to build a robust integration plan, with the majority of the critical integration activities taking place following the 2019-2020 season."

Next year is when the changes will come, ala Stowe and Okemo. Not advisable or in some cases even possible to make changes at this point for the upcoming season. Hope its not a cluster F*^#.

cdskier

"We plan on spending the next several months understanding the current systems and processes in order to build a robust integration plan, with the majority of the critical integration activities taking place following the 2019-2020 season."

Next year is when the changes will come, ala Stowe and Okemo. Not advisable or in some cases even possible to make changes at this point for the upcoming season. Hope its not a cluster F*^#.

Yup...no major changes this year should have been completely expected. Put another way, the quote from Katz is essentially saying "we need time to figure out what you're doing now so we can figure out who/what is expendable and what can be done by our existing corporate staff in CO." Pretty standard in many large mergers.

drjeff

Yup...no major changes this year should have been completely expected. Put another way, the quote from Katz is essentially saying "we need time to figure out what you're doing now so we can figure out who/what is expendable and what can be done by our existing corporate staff in CO." Pretty standard in many large mergers.
You also figure that with Peaks bringing 10000 employees (and yes I know the vast majority are seasonal, low level employees) that it's not like Vail could cut thousands of existing Peak jobs and still be able to fully operate those resorts....

Guessing the mid to high level, year round employees of Peak now get that the have a year, to show why their full-time employment, and or advancement through Vail Resorts, is warranted. That's a big potential opportunity

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

njdiver85

Does anyone know what type of pass Mount Snow instructors and junior instructors will be given for the 2019/20 season? Peak Pass or Epic,etc?

BenedictGomez

Guessing the mid to high level, year round employees of Peak now get that the have a year, to show why their full-time employment, and or advancement through Vail Resorts, is warranted. That's a big potential opportunity

Depends how "high" you mean, because those "mid-to-high-level, year round employees" are precisely the ones who need to worry about their job come May 2020. Or who may not want to relocate across country to Colorado.

urungus

Unfortunately not. I bought my Epic pass in the spring and their customer service confirmed that I would have to wait until the fall to use it. As a point of comparison, the Ikon pass does have that benefit.