Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    I suspect there will be a lot of year to year switching between passes for all but those who live on mountain. Big factor will be trips West as that will dictate which pass makes the most sense (assuming to a Epic/Ikon mountain). And if they keep the buy in March, ski rest of season, it makes tons of sense to flip each year.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Unless Vail is insanely desperate to make a play for the Montreal market, it looks like they will not be interested in Jay Peak now.
    If Alterra buys Jay Peak, it will essentially own the Ottawa-Montreal market with its Tremblant-Jay Peak combo.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Frankly, I think that this may be the death of Burke.
    Agreed. Burke is a great mountain, but it's just stuck in nowhere land. No really good reason to drive there, because there is something equivalent (or better) closer to where almost everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    If Alterra buys Jay Peak, it will essentially own the Ottawa-Montreal market with its Tremblant-Jay Peak combo.

Agreed. Burke is a great mountain, but it's just stuck in nowhere land. No really good reason to drive there, because there is something equivalent (or better) closer to where almost everybody lives.
    Don't underestimate the holiday (and maybe even most Saturday's) crowds at Epic/Ikon mountains and the desire of many skiers to avoid those crowds. I'd take an uncrowded Burke over a packed *fill-in-the-blank* any day.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by boston_e View Post
    I wonder how many Northeast skiers will do that. At least for the greater Boston based skier, I'd still think that Killington/Pico/Sunday River/Loon/bush/Loaf/Stratton is a more appealing option than Snow/Attitash/Wildcat/Stowe/Okemo/Sunapee/Crotchet.... maybe Sunapee / Crotchet gets the nod for day trips but other than that I think the Ikon collection is better.
    agree ikon is better for the boston metro folks, but for the NYC metro people epic just became very attractive
    gladerider

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Don't forget Blue. Yes, they would have gotten the Montreal market wrapped and sealed.

I've been wondering why they haven't. It maybe the price Jay asked for is unrealistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    You are correct, but Crotched was Peak's 1st eastern acquisition in the East in 2003, so there was a Crotched only pass until 2013(+/-). Then everyone was forced to the Peak's pass and I protested to management that Crotched was a local area and needed a separate pass, to no avail. Now, I am no longer in the minority, as it seems that many "local" areas will be at the new $699 rate. I wish that Vail would consider a local pass for all of the smaller hills. Just my $.02
    Got it. That is a good reason to speak up.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gladerider View Post
    agree ikon is better for the boston metro folks, but for the NYC metro people epic just became very attractive
    I guess it depends on your perspective. Are there a lot more resorts close to NYC on Epic now? Sure. But are they resorts I personally want to visit? Not really. Not sure what I would do if I was still a day-tripper and random long weekend a couple times a year skier. Maybe the NY3 pass would be my choice (along with a Sugarbush quad pack and/or a K spring pass maybe).

Bottom line for me, while this theoretically makes the Epic make sense with the addition of a Pokes and Catskills mountain, I still won't do it. I don't ski as much as I'd like to, so I feel like every day counts to much to feel locked in to specific mountains. Want to go where I think the best day awaits.

Only exception will be if we plan trip out west, like last year. Then the Epic is a no brainer because I usually ski 3-4 days at Stowe every year anyway.

But I wonder if anyone is talking about an 'Independents Pass'. Or 'Independence Pass!' Some kind of counter balance to Ikon/Epic. Like Magic, Platty, maybe the NY State mtns, Sugarbush, MRG, etc... marketing a shared pass or discount card.....

Magic, Platty, Whaleback, Bolton, etc already on Freedom Pass.

I think the shockwaves are already still too strong to see any new multi area passes this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Magic, Platty, Whaleback, Bolton, etc already on Freedom Pass.

I think the shockwaves are already still too strong to see any new multi area passes this year.
    I didn't realize that. I thought the freedom pass was more NH product.

Thread Information