Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 104

AlpineZone

Page 104 of 113 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1125
    Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Who is dying from poaching something at a resort? Unless you’re running into a snowcat on a closed trail or snap a femur on a ground gun on a closed trail. If that’s the case, we are just thinning the heard of the dumb.
    Responded to that very scenario, years ago @ SR.
    Made for a bad day for a whole bunch of people.

Dude did OK after a lil help from Life Flight
    Last edited by 2Planker; Dec 17, 2019 at 4:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in what the ambassadors and patrolers are doing.

What I have noticed, is that more folks (not a huge amount, but sure feels like more folks) are pushing the boundaries on what they're doing on the hill (speed, rope ducking, being courteous, respecting the posted rules, etc) and I think that that may be more of what's going on verses a complete change in the enforcement policy
    Agreed. I think once the season hits full steam we'll see more folks out there 'policing' in the slow zones. However, that seemed to be more common/more of a trend the past few seasons anyways.

Not sure I agree with the 'pushing boundaries' portion... any good examples on that one? Perhaps just some different clientele who ride/ski as they normally do at their regular results, however, have come to check out Mt. Snow early season.

[rant] One thing that always bugs me is people stopping in terrible spots. I understand it's the person coming downhill who is responsible to keep things safe and not cause problems, but people need to stop on the sides of the trail and not on down-slopes, etc. I have seen a bunch of that this season with people putting themselves in possibly dangerous positions. [/rant]

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    I understand it's the person coming downhill who is responsible to keep things safe and not cause problems, but people need to stop on the sides of the trail and not on down-slopes, etc.
    Debatable, run em down, see #3....

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
    2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
    3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
    4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
    5. Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
    6. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
    7. Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

^^ Sooo many people are oblivious to #4 on that list

Yeah amazingly bad at #4. Like do these people pull out into traffic like that in their cars??!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Ski Roundtop
    11/16, 11/17, 11/23, 12/20 (LR), 12/21, 12/22, 12/23, 12/26 (LR), 12/27 (LR), 12/28, 12/30 (LR), 12/31 (LR), 1/2 (LR), 1/3 (LR), 1/5, 1/17 (LR), 1/18, 1/20, 1/24 (LR), 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/14 (LR), 2/15, 2/16, 2/28 (LR), 2/29, 3/1, 3/2 (LR), 3/5 (LR), 3/6 (LR), 3/7, 3/8, 3/13 (LR), 3/14
    Breckenridge 1/9,1/10
    Keystone 1/11
    Arapahoe Basin 1/12
    Montage Mountain 1/27, 1/28
    Stowe 2/7, 2/8, 2/9
    Killington 2/22
    Okemo 2/23, 2/24

LR=Lunch Runs

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    ^^ Sooo many people are oblivious to #4 on that list
    know the code, chode!

I don't think I made a single run without violating rule 6 yesterday. None of the poaching was done alone. I think that's the biggest problem with skiing closed terrain is that if you were alone, and something were to happen, and you couldn't summon help with your phone, you could be in trouble.

The shit we were skiing was definitely hazardous to your equipment, little or no base, but except for the occasional water bar, the risk was minimal. Sometimes it's hard to believe the closures aren't just "suggestions". We skied Belleayre on 12/2 after 23" and there were 3 trails officially open. I'm pretty sure the ropes were to prevent the, "Let's ski this one" only to be confronted with two foot high brush poking through the steep parts, with the inevitable water bar at the transition to the flatter part. To expect everyone to stay on 3 groomed blue and green trails with two feet of fresh snow is just unrealistic.

Poaching out west is a whole different animal. I don't think I would ever do it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    Yeah amazingly bad at #4. Like do these people pull out into traffic like that in their cars??!!
    Yes, many of them drive just as poorly as they ski, and they park almost as badly.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    The motto makes sense. No one likes to hear it. But makes sense from a business and money line. Vail needs to keep the shareholders happy. Robby Meow Cats needs that extra bonus to keep that smile that big.

Thread Information