Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 44

AlpineZone

Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    I believe Vail has not done their due diligence in regards to pass holder demographics/statistics on the mountains they acquired. They have attempted to implement their existing sales model in the East, with much different demographics and smaller destinations. I believe there is a large portion of former Peak pass holders that have no interest in going out West, let alone visiting other mountains in the East several times. They are not going to see the value add in the Epic - they want a local pass and as such, they will jump ship if there are alternatives.

Now that is funny. Vail is just shooting from the hip? Right......
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time.

I got to agree with you on that one. Vail absolutely knows before they purchased the resorts exactly how many Triple Peaks and Peak Resort pass holders, and to some extent daily pass purchasers, have travel out west to ski their resorts (including which resort they typical ski at on the east cost and which resort they visited out west). A simple cross check of address and name databases would clearly indicate how many east coast pass holders have visit each Vail resort out west.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    I got to agree with you on that one. Vail absolutely knows before they purchased the resorts exactly how many Triple Peaks and Peak Resort pass holders, and to some extent daily pass purchasers, have travel out west to ski their resorts (including which resort they typical ski at on the east cost and which resort they visited out west). A simple cross check of address and name databases would clearly indicate how many east coast pass holders have visit each Vail resort out west.
    I agree with AdironRider that Vail Resorts certainly did not make this acquisition without its' fair share of due diligence, but that's not to say that it wasnt a mistake, only time will tell. However, I do not believe that Peak Resorts would share its' customer profile databank with Vail as a part of that due diligence.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I agree with AdironRider that Vail Resorts certainly did not make this acquisition without its' fair share of due diligence, but that's not to say that it wasnt a mistake, only time will tell. However, I do not believe that Peak Resorts would share its' customer profile databank with Vail as a part of that due diligence.
    I'm guessing that this is also a case where Vail saw a greater upside for their company in some of the Peak resorts than others, and in an "ideal" world in Vail's eyes, the deal wouldn't of included all of the Peak properties.
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I'm guessing that this is also a case where Vail saw a greater upside for their company in some of the Peak resorts than others, and in an "ideal" world in Vail's eyes, the deal wouldn't of included all of the Peak properties.
    Outside of Wildcat, I don't really see how all of Peaks properties don't fit exactly into Vail's business plan.

This isn't a miscalculation at all. While some properties certainly are more attractive than others (Mt Snow notably) Peaks was tailor made for a takeover by Vail. Their CEO literally just said so and they now own basically every mountain close to major population centers that get snow in the winter.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Outside of Wildcat, I don't really see how all of Peaks properties don't fit exactly into Vail's business plan.

This isn't a miscalculation at all. While some properties certainly are more attractive than others (Mt Snow notably) Peaks was tailor made for a takeover by Vail. Their CEO literally just said so and they now own basically every mountain close to major population centers that get snow in the winter.
    Generally agree. Crotched seems to be a bit outside of other resorts Vail has bought in the past, and one might make the argument that a few of their mid western properties are in redundant geographical areas. Overall, I'm guessing that over a dozen of the properties that Peak had acquired looked like an attractive fit to the Vail folks and their model of expansion/acquisition
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Prior to finalizing the sale this fall, they absolutely shared it. Prior to signing the agreement to buy out Peaks, maybe not. Although Vail might have required it in order to even discuss a potential buyout. It is possible that right now Vail is evaluating that data to determine what type of passes they are going to have on the east coast. If the data they have indicates a strong regional area the skiers typically don't ski anywhere else, they might offer something similar to the Epic Summit Value or Tahoe Local Passes. I think that people need to understand that Vail does not only sell Epic Pass and Epic Local - they actual have 13 different types of passes. Adding a couple of more on the east coast would not be unreasonable.

Edit - they actually have far more than just 13 different passes.
    Last edited by mbedle; Aug 8, 2019 at 2:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Generally agree. Crotched seems to be a bit outside of other resorts Vail has bought in the past, and one might make the argument that a few of their mid western properties are in redundant geographical areas.
    They offer a Keystone only pass for $369, I'm really hoping that they do something for Crotched!

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Prior to finalizing the sale this fall, they absolutely shared it. Prior to signing the agreement to buy out Peaks, maybe not.
    I thought that's what you were talking about? It is what I was referring to.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information