• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

FBGM

Lol at last 4 posts saying exactly what I said.

Make Mount Snow Great Again 2020. Fire the low hanging fruit. Thin the idiot herd.

thebigo

Unfortunately not. I bought my Epic pass in the spring and their customer service confirmed that I would have to wait until the fall to use it. As a point of comparison, the Ikon pass does have that benefit.

Thanks for the reply but that sucks, what sense does that make?

Guess it will be killington spring passes rather than a week at breckenridge in april.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
As veterans, our $649 pass is now $549....rebates for us! :flag:

The details are pretty much in the FAQ right now. If you purchased your Peaks pass prior to 7/22 (when the merger was announced), you pay the difference based on the Epic prices as of the announcement date. If you purchased after the merger was announced, you pay the difference of whatever the price is today (or rather on the day you call to upgrade).

machski

Depends how "high" you mean, because those "mid-to-high-level, year round employees" are precisely the ones who need to worry about their job come May 2020. Or who may not want to relocate across country to Colorado.
Not fully buying this now. Sure, some things may get pulled central to Broomfield, but my guess is Vail has so many East coast areas now that they set up an East Coast office. May just be on the operations side more, but I think they will go in this direction.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Not fully buying this now. Sure, some things may get pulled central to Broomfield, but my guess is Vail has so many East coast areas now that they set up an East Coast office. May just be on the operations side more, but I think they will go in this direction.

You think they're going to open up an east coast office? Not happening. Unless it's so tiny it's next to a Subway in a strip mall. Vail is not Google.

Opening up an east coast building runs completely counter to their business model, and would not be well-received by Wall Street. The entire point is consolidation and elimination of COGS, of which, salaries & wages are almost certainly the #1 contributor. People (sadly) are going to be laid-off.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So back to Mount Snow...I got a copy of the Mount Snow magazine for 2019-2020. There's a whole article on Sunbrook enhancements. Little Dipper is now a beginner trail with snowmaking and has been widened. They also "moved" many trails within the Sunbrook complex. The "new" beginner Little Dipper runs from Little Dipper, to Big Dipper, onto Moonbeam. Lower Big Dipper is now Moonbeam. The article also had the GM saying how they want to get to 100% snowmaking within the not-so-distant future.

Also a quick glimpse at the 2020 trail map did not have snowmaking on Fool's Gold over in Carinthia. Dr Jeff saw pipes with his own eyes so I'm thinking the map was rushed out to production (but it did have Little Dipper as a beginner trail).

Not sure what to think about all this without a new lift over there still. Normally I'm all for terrain improvements over lift upgrades but the Sunbrook Quad has been "due" for replacement literally half its life now. I distinctly remember rumors in the 00s about a new lift over there and I believe the permit to replace it was granted in 2011 or 2012!!

Well I'll be damned...they changed their mind....

Sunbrook Winter Map 2019_20.jpg

They posted a video on Youtube about their snowmaking improvements and didn't say anything about Little Dipper being a beginner trail, but did talk about how it was going to be re-routed and have snowmaking added. Also confirmed Fool's Gold on Carinthia with snowmaking and having small features.

drjeff

Well I'll be damned...they changed their mind....

View attachment 25436

They posted a video on Youtube about their snowmaking improvements and didn't say anything about Little Dipper being a beginner trail, but did talk about how it was going to be re-routed and have snowmaking added. Also confirmed Fool's Gold on Carinthia with snowmaking and having small features.

Can't say that I'm totally surprised that they kept the "new" Little Dipper route an intermediate trail. The top section, which used to be Moonwalk has enough of a pitch where it met into Little Dipper (now Moonwalk) before, and the bottom section, which used to be Moonbeam where it broke off from Little Dipper also had a pitch more than they probably wanted someone who is just progressing off of say Long John on, regardless of how much widening and grading they can do.

Me and the camera will have to take another hike Columbus Day weekend and see what the finished product looks like first hand

jaytrem

Can't say that I'm totally surprised that they kept the "new" Little Dipper route an intermediate trail. The top section, which used to be Moonwalk has enough of a pitch where it met into Little Dipper (now Moonwalk) before, and the bottom section, which used to be Moonbeam where it broke off from Little Dipper also had a pitch more than they probably wanted someone who is just progressing off of say Long John on, regardless of how much widening and grading they can do.

Me and the camera will have to take another hike Columbus Day weekend and see what the finished product looks like first hand

I hiked it on Monday, was surprised how far into the woods they put the pipes. Guess that makes it easy to widen the trail later if they want to. For now it keeps the trail looking more natural, very nice! I remember skiing back there as a kid before they put in the quad and new trails. You really felt like you were in the middle of nowhere.

Edd

drjeff

Any idea if they are fan or air/water?

Not sure.

I know that they had a mix of Techno Alpin fanguns and the orange HKD air/water towers that one now sees at most every resort, all of which were of "new" vintage, and have low use hours on them currently. Who knows if it's 1 kind or the other or both based on how that article written??

mbedle

From some article about Lakeland Bank - "The approximately 46 snow guns and two tower-mounted TechnoAlpin fans" and "The bank said last July [2018], the equipment had been appraised at $365,000".

Newpylong

IIRC, it was the Fan Guns that were repossessed, due to their mobility and ease of removal. I think all the air tower HKD guns are still there.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

The tower guns are actually far easier to remove than fans. Two people can remove them from the bracket without any equipment and lower to a Ranger, etc to move around the hill.

I would think the Impulses would be more "tasty" to them than the TAs. Peaks and Vail (East) are generally SMI and HKD fan customers, but who knows if the price is right anything could happen.

jimmywilson69

The southcentral PA resorts use a mix of TA and Areco fan guns. Although my local place Ski Roundtop just got a whole trailer full of HKD Impulse towers in the other day, which they've also been adding and replacing ratniks with.

FBGM

Dem TA fans are the best product out there. Scoop them up. Super easy to move just gots to have power. And water. Does sons of bitches can push upwards of 400gpm depending on model. And all auto. Not that anyone in the east coast knows auto. They would rather spend the money on $11/hr snowmakers who smoke the weeds and point guns into the woods.