• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

icecoast1

Not sure.

I know that they had a mix of Techno Alpin fanguns and the orange HKD air/water towers that one now sees at most every resort, all of which were of "new" vintage, and have low use hours on them currently. Who knows if it's 1 kind or the other or both based on how that article written??

The original loan was for 720K. Almost has to be all or mostly fans. Hkd air/water towers arent 15,000 each

drjeff

The original loan was for 720K. Almost has to be all or mostly fans. Hkd air/water towers arent 15,000 each
Having skied there, while it was open a few seasons ago, while they certainly had a number of techno-alpin fan guns, they also had a decent number of HKD's in all their orange colored glory lining a number of trails off the summit, in the witches area, and a number of other trails generally to skiers/riders right of their 6 pack as you headed down to their "clubhouse" (main lodge)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Dem TA fans are the best product out there. Scoop them up. Super easy to move just gots to have power. And water. Does sons of bitches can push upwards of 400gpm depending on model. And all auto. Not that anyone in the east coast knows auto. They would rather spend the money on $11/hr snowmakers who smoke the weeds and point guns into the woods.

No. The max a 2" hose can push is a little over 200 GPM and 180 to 200 is the design max for the TF10, their largest model. Most people use 1.5" hose, so down to around 150 GPM, and you need good pressure and insane wet bulb to hit design max.

Many areas have automated fans in the East.

jimmywilson69

Ski Roundtop has TA Automated Slope and 3 or 4 Aerco Automated Slopes. They still tend to walk the line and reposition and power up and off the fans though. I think its so the lines don't freeze to be honest. The automation comes with not having to adjust each fan guns output as conditions change. when they are in full production mode with their air/water and fan guns its an impressive site for a little mole hill in PA. They pump out 4000 GPM. I believe they put in a 500 GPM booster pump to increase the capacity this summer.

Last edited:

FBGM

No. The max a 2" hose can push is a little over 200 GPM and 180 to 200 is the design max for the TF10, their largest model. Most people use 1.5" hose, so down to around 150 GPM, and you need good pressure and insane wet bulb to hit design max.

Many areas have automated fans in the East.

Except the tf10 can get two hoses hooked up to it. Boom. You do the math. Make the snows.

Who got auto? Some lil mole hill with like 35 guns? That actually would be smart and sweet

Newpylong

Is that standard? I used one 3 season ago, single 2" inlet. That is impressive...

I prefer the HKD Diablo over all fans - due to the ability to change the stream with a lever and sheer simplicity.

I don't consider 35 guns a mole hill. Regardless - Wachusett is automated (HKD Klik), Ragged has 2 automated trails (HKD Klik), Suicide 6 has 1 trail this year (TAs), Stowe has 36 automated fans (SMI), the list goes on... You're not going to see hills entirely automated, but it's certainly out there on core trails.

FBGM

Is that standard? I used one 3 season ago, single 2" inlet. That is impressive...

I prefer the HKD Diablo over all fans - due to the ability to change the stream with a lever and sheer simplicity.

I don't consider 35 guns a mole hill. Regardless - Wachusett is automated (HKD Klik), Ragged has 2 automated trails (HKD Klik), Suicide 6 has 1 trail this year (TAs), Stowe has 36 automated fans (SMI), the list goes on... You're not going to see hills entirely automated, but it's certainly out there on core trails.

It was a bunch of years back. Before the TF10 really came over to the states so maybe it was some one off thing. I vaguely remember the Puma being up there with Gpm - looking at the computer and it was saying like 260gpm. It’s been a while but one them suckers had the ability for 2 hoses to go into it.

Auto should have been the future 5 years ago. Press button. Make snow. Auto from compressors to pumps to guns. Can even do it on your phone. I was involved in some cool ski area shit back in the day.

deadheadskier

Staff member

When I worked at Wisp in Maryland, their entire system was automated.

http://www.snowmakers.com/wisp.html

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

That explains why FB doesn't bother with "threads". You just ramble on and on...

It bugs the hell out of me. But I'm accepting that's what the majority want. Random topics that came up...

JimG.

Staff member
I believe that Racer's Edge at Hunter had the first automated snowmaking install.

A relatively lame segue back on topic.

KustyTheKlown

wasn't sure what thread this really belongs in...

keystone officially opening tomorrow. congrats to keystone and the evil empire for winning the race to open.

so excited that lift served skiing in the usa starts tomorrow.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
wasn't sure what thread this really belongs in...

keystone officially opening tomorrow. congrats to keystone and the evil empire for winning the race to open.

so excited that lift served skiing in the usa starts tomorrow.

Abasin opened today.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
we've seen that gamesmanship between Sunday River and Killington in the East. One announces an opening, then the other beats them to the punch either late afternoon the day prior or spins a lift earlier the next morning

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
we've seen that gamesmanship between Sunday River and Killington in the East. One announces an opening, then the other beats them to the punch either late afternoon the day prior or spins a lift earlier the next morning

I liked the year after Irene Sunday River explicitly opened at 9:01am to let Killington open at 9am to be the first to open.