Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 42

AlpineZone

Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    But there're others who's been skiing all over northeast mountains. To them, each mountain has its pros and cons. They may own property not near ONE mountain, but in a town that has easy access to multiple mountains. Their cost of switching is not that high.

(I happen to know one such retiree. Though for them, they're no longer skiing full days at all. So this may actually be a motivator to move to a smaller mountain instead)
    True, but this type of retiree is probably just as hard to capture (unless it's by one of the major multi-passes). If you like chasing storms and skiing a variety of mountains, you're probably already comfortable paying more for that experience than you would for a season pass to a single mountain. Maybe the senior discount pushes you over the edge, but for every such senior skier, you might have five regulars who would be willing to pay full price for the pass.

I'm not saying that no senior skier is influenced by the availability of senior discounts - I'm sure many are; I'm just not wholly convinced that resorts make more money by offering them than by charging seniors full freight. If senior discounts were obvious money-makers, I would expect Vail to be fully on board.

This thread is jumping the shark.

Literally no one is going to change their ski destination because some other guy they don't know lost his lifetime pass. Even if they do know the guy, they aren't going to change their ski destination.

Outside of pointless debate on ski forums, this decision will have zero effect on Vail's bottom line other than increasing it by getting new passholders. Why? If someone loved a place to ski so much they bought a lifetime pass (which has proven over and over again to be the lifetime of the current ownership of the place), they aren't leaving.

In terms of senior discounts, they'll get over it also. Old men yelling at clouds and such. If you are out there skiing you can pay full freight just like the rest of us.

You chase cheap skate customers you are going to make shitty revenue. Vail knows where their bread is buttered and it isn't by cheap skates who only ski where they get the best deal. If 20 bucks on a lift ticket is driving your commitment, you aren't worth the hassle compared to a customer that will bring literally thousands more.
    Last edited by AdironRider; Aug 7, 2019 at 2:22 PM.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

I know they don't have anything yet on the east coast, but Vail does sell senior passes at other resorts. Maybe something will come to east coast after the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    I know they don't have anything yet on the east coast, but Vail does sell senior passes at other resorts. Maybe something will come to east coast after the sale.
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You chase cheap skate customers you are going to make shitty revenue. Vail knows where their bread is buttered and it isn't by cheap skates who only ski where they get the best deal. If 20 bucks on a lift ticket is driving your commitment, you aren't worth the hassle compared to a customer that will bring literally thousands more.
    Actually, I've always wondering about that. Why did Vail even offer the lower priced Epic Local pass? I (not being a "local" of the west) would have opened up my wallet for the full Epic pass!

Every year, I contemplated buying the full of either Ikon or Epic. But so far had mostly gone with the cheap Local version. Had that version not even exist, they would have gotten $300 extra out of me!
    Last edited by abc; Aug 7, 2019 at 3:03 PM.

Where?
    Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Afton Alps and Mt Brigton.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Afton Alps and Mt Brigton.
    I see. I forgot about those. Basically local mountain passes that don't have "free" access to the rest of the Vail resorts. (**)

They may indeed bring those over to the northeast.

(**)
    (those 50% discount are really only symbolic. With half price Park City costing ~$90, you'll be buying a "real" Epic pass at the tune of $600 if you even have an inkling of skiing elsewhere!)

Actually, I've always wondering about that. Why did Vail even offer the lower priced Epic Local pass? I (not being a "local" of the west) would have opened up my wallet for the full Epic pass!

Every year, I contemplated buying the full of either Ikon or Epic. But so far had mostly gone with the cheap Local version. Had that version not even exist, they would have gotten $300 extra out of me!
    To draw and lock more people into the Vail resorts network. Give them a taste of what their resort portfolio offers, and if folks so choose, they'll upgrade at some point to the full Epic, with less restrictions and go to one of the resorts, when they want, that the full Epic allows them to do over the Epic local.

Also helps in a way with crowd management, since if someone wants to go to Vail or Whistler or Park City for example over one of the 3 big Holiday periods (X-mas/New Years week, MLK Weekend and Presidents Week) they're going to buy the full Epic, if someone doesn't want to go to an Epic resort during a time that it's blacked out, then they will get the local. They still have an Epic product hanging off their coat, and Vail Resorts is in essence helping to limit some of the crowds that would likely hit up their restricted resorts during traditionally the busiest times of the season.
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

Well they got the better part of 700 bucks out of you for one, just to start.

Plus you need to travel and pay for food, lodging and incidentals at one of their western properties or Stowe. Not exactly cheap ya know.

Vail is basically guaranteeing themselves over a g in revenue just from you, before you even get in the liftline.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Also helps in a way with crowd management, since if someone wants to go to Vail or Whistler or Park City for example over one of the 3 big Holiday periods (X-mas/New Years week, MLK Weekend and Presidents Week) they're going to buy the full Epic, if someone doesn't want to go to an Epic resort during a time that it's blacked out, then they will get the local. They still have an Epic product hanging off their coat, and Vail Resorts is in essence helping to limit some of the crowds that would likely hit up their restricted resorts during traditionally the busiest times of the season.
    But that would argue FOR offering midweek passes, which neither do.

I almost never ski Saturdays. Too crowded to start with. Plus almost none of my ski companions at the destination ski Saturdays. (they're local so they're more choosy. I do the same at home here, rarely ski Saturdays) I either go x-c skiing with them (if they xc ski). Or in some cases, I was just travelling TO the destination on Saturday.

Had there been a cheaper midweek version of both Epic & Ikon, I probably would get BOTH (instead of "rotating" from 1 year to the next). Same with some of my friends.

Thread Information