• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cell Phone Service at Hunter?????

Creakyknees

I’m thinking of switching from AT&T to T-Mobil how is the service at Hunter for T-Mobile?

FBGM

You worried you and the bros won’t be able to get on that Tinder after a day of shred? Good call looking ahead. Important stuff.

Domeskier

I sometimes struggle for a signal in Manhattan on T-Mobile. Forget about it in Vermont. No experience with it at Hunter, but if I didn't have a work phone on another service, I'd drop T-Mobile in a heartbeat for its tendency to drop out in the middle of NYC.

rjc1976

I have had no issues with T Mobile service while skiing at Hunter. The signal is good on the mountain.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Creakyknees

I'm back to changing from AT&T to T-Mobile. Any feedback on how the T-Mobile service is at Hunter?

da-bum

Are you talking about signal at ski resort and trails? If so, signal is strong there since it looks like they have a cell tower right there. I do stay in some places that seems to be a bit off the main road and frequently the Tmobile signal is non-existent or comes and goes. Those places usually have wifi, and you can use Tmobile's DIGITS to still dial or receive calls from/to your number. There were a few times I was driving in the dark when it is snowing and the lack of signal prevented goog1e maps from telling me when to make the crucial turn.

da-bum

FYI, you can download your Google map in advance, for example I have all of Vermont cached offline on my phone. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838
It wasn't the unavailability of maps, but w/o cell phone signal, the phone is purely navigating on gps, which is not accurate enough to tell me to make a turn until I passed the turn. The app doesn't utilize internal gyroscope for dead reckoning like the way my car's gps does.

I used OsmAnd offline maps when I go overseas and/or sail somewhere that's in the middle of the ocean. I've also use cached goog1e maps the last time I ventured into the open water.

rebel1916

Are you talking about signal at ski resort and trails? If so, signal is strong there since it looks like they have a cell tower right there. I do stay in some places that seems to be a bit off the main road and frequently the Tmobile signal is non-existent or comes and goes. Those places usually have wifi, and you can use Tmobile's DIGITS to still dial or receive calls from/to your number. There were a few times I was driving in the dark when it is snowing and the lack of signal prevented goog1e maps from telling me when to make the crucial turn.
It's been a couple years since I was at Huntah, and probably a couple of years since I had T-Mobile, but the service was not reliable all over the mountain. Texting was adequate, uploads were sketch.

Funky_Catskills

I live in Hunter and T-Mobile used to work before I switched to AT&T and then Verizon. I have no issues with Verizon or AT&T cell service at all now where it used to be spotty a few years back... Tannersville still sucks for cell.. Can even get service sometimes on the mountain road..