• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020

Very good authority that the new pumps will be up and running once its cold again.....

And that's the rub. We had a decent cold snap to make snow but SR missed the opportunity because they didn't get there asses in gear to replace those pumps......MONTHS ago! So they end result is limited trails with the hope that another cold snap arrives soon so they can make more "limited" snow. This whole thing smells of piss poor management!:angry::angry::angry:

machski

And that's the rub. We had a decent cold snap to make snow but SR missed the opportunity because they didn't get there asses in gear to replace those pumps......MONTHS ago! So they end result is limited trails with the hope that another cold snap arrives soon so they can make more "limited" snow. This whole thing smells of piss poor management!:angry::angry::angry:
Insurance carriers don't typically cut checks very fast, especially when you've had several now large claims the last several years (Spruce Triple, now the pumphouse). Add to that, perhaps the pumps are a bit different from the previous and took a bit more engineering to link them in than anticipated? Lord knows I was cursing trying to replace a 15 year old garage door opener this weekend when it didn't smoothly integrate with everything even though same brand.

Anyways, hopefully this is in the rearview mirror. Next real good cold blast lurking for right after Turkey day. Hopefully they show off and we can all give thanks!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Insurance companies are the worst, and I can personally attest that they are no better for ski areas. They rake in thousands and thousands per month in premiums and then take months to dispense for claims. At a minimum all 4 of those would cost them $600,000 just for the motors and pumps alone. Then you have electrical hookup, mechanicals to the rest of the piping, welding, and PLC integration.

machski

Insurance companies are the worst, and I can personally attest that they are no better for ski areas. They rake in thousands and thousands per month in premiums and then take months to dispense for claims. At a minimum all 4 of those would cost them $600,000 just for the motors and pumps alone. Then you have electrical hookup, mechanicals to the rest of the piping, welding, and PLC integration.
Don't forget they apparently have Donny Pelletier working on it too. That won't throw a wrench in the proverbial cogs at all [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

SR was pretty awesome today. More of a spring surface than midwinter. Feel like I just skied a pow day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

More work on the covered carpet lifts. Skiing was fun today!
76751722_10206524353423471_9009107813653282816_o.jpg
Glad to see they went with red covers keeping the lift color theme. That would lead me to believe if they ever decided on a bubble chair it would also have red Plexi.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

On Wednesday, we saw a man setting up a total station, and he had a pole with a key board attached and a large cup or globe on top. He took some readings from the Barker base lodge, then some near the lower Barker lift station, and later, as we were riding up the lift, he was taking readings of each of the poles.

So.... one might suspect something is up with the Barker lift.
I heard a strong and credible rumor/report that if not this coming summer, then absolutely summer 2021 Barker will be replaced. The push at the mountain is for 2020, we will see if Boyne bites on that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bubble Six to keep up with the Joneses?

Would the Barker quad likely be scrapped or rebuilt and moved elsewhere on the mountain or to Loon or Sugarloaf?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Definitely what Newpy said with the Barker Quad. That thing is a nightmare being a Yanoma.

Pretty sure it becomes a Six, unsure if it gets a bubble or heated bubble. Boyne has become keen on those (BS and Stephen has remarked they would look heavily at bubbles where temp appropriate). Powder seeker is considerably shorter at BS so who knows.

skicub

Reposted comments from Trailboss’s thread: Reports out that Big Sky will send a HSQ to replace White Cap Quad.

I predict this will be huge for SR. While a replacement for Barker is essential, a HSQ on white cap will essentially negate the biggest downside to white cap, getting out of WC basin in a hurry. The current white cap quad is at least a 10 minute ride, and when you are trying to get back to South Ridge in a hurry, it’s just not possible with the current Yan. As someone who is always trying to get in “one more run” before I link up with family, this is a game changer. Some may decry that this makes White cap more likely to get skiied off faster, but most of the terrain off this lift is accessible from barker anyways, so that’s mostly moot. This will also allow better flow out of WC on busy days, and gives me a much better option for a place to base myself on busy days. I think White Cap is the most underrated trail pod, and when you consider all three trail pods together, white cap alone could rival some full resorts (Ragged or Sunapee for example). This also means that skiing out from the Summit lodge could get you to South Ridge in about 10 minutes door to door (almost a 20 minute trip now).

As I said before, this will be a game changer, but does not make up for any of the lift replacement woes looming for Barker quad, south ridge express, or other older lifts.

SkiCubby : The original opera singing Skibear
andypapas.com