• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020

machski

Nothing overly promising in the long-range forecast, and the leaves seem to be a bit behind schedule for fall foliage. So maybe they have time to get something done before winter sets in hard.
I am assuming other than running the power lines under the trails, carpets don't take too long to install as compared to other lift types.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Correct, the trail just has to have the correct gradient and then the power and comm lines run. Sometimes there is a vault built below the motor on some models.

Last edited:

Bayside

Not sure about improvements, but it is worth noting that the Maine Brew Fest is at Sunday River today!

machski

I'm not sold the stuff you posted has got done because Boyne owns the whole thing outright. The Jordan Road has been a long work in progress and I think if you check, you will find the HOA kicked in a lot for that road project. Ditto for the Grand Summit drive, the HOA is covering a large chunk of that as well. The Portion beyond Merrill Brook I'm sure is being added partially into the glades real estate bill (after all, those roads in there are paved but the shared driveway with South Ridge Condos isn't and the road to it was a mess.). I also know for a fact the mountain wanted all the condo associations off Barker MTN Road to chip in to redo that while the mountain still managed all of us. We refused, and thus Barker MTN road is still a mess. So roadwork at SR doesn't get done on company $$ alone, Boyne owning it has nothing to do with it.

The T-Bar was completely paid for by Gould/SR Ski Club and I think one of the college's may have kicked in for it too. True, the mountain will operate and maintain it now, but the cost to the running point was not mountain $$. So all the mountain funded this year really is the three new carpets (which I would guess total the cost of the T-Bar maybe) and the second phase of the snowmaking boost (biggest $$ here with 4 new 500hp pumps and the installation of HKD Klik hydrants.). Boyne company wide, the only big money spent at a resort again this summer was Big Sky.

machski

Boyne dropped millions for a new quad chair at the Summit at Snoqualmie.
True, I forgot about that. Well, they have pressure from the Vail upgrades at Stevens and it's former sister resort Crystal to keep up with. Boyne just isn't being pressed to do much with it's New England resorts. Sure VT areas are doing a lot, K most of all. But I don't think they view them as direct competition. It will likely take Vail doing something bold at Attitash to even catch Boyne's attention.

I still like the push to doubling the snowmaking capacity at SR, makes a ton of sense especially if you buy into shorter windows as we move forward. It's what SR has always been known for and they had been at least caught if not passed by the likes of Snow. That's great and incrementally increasing it is wise. But the lift ages are growing and the lodges have other problems than just some peeling paint and rotted siding board. They seem to keep up with South Ridge to some extent but Barker and obviously White Cap need some help. And while Peak has been dressed up with Mountain Room, it could still use some love too. I am curious to see if capital starts getting pumped up over the next two years after Boyne gets some breathing room from the acquisitions. I know Loafer's would like to see some and Loon is still waiting for the full build out of lower South Peak.

WoodCore

71278873_10220231676171912_7985704930507751424_n.jpg

71099672_10220231675931906_1011388674207645696_n.jpg

Somehow, it wasn't until they had the road all graded and ready to pave that someone figured we need to get that culvert replaced. At least, they realized this before it got paved....

Nice Pipe! Looks like ADS N-12, quality stuff.

machski

I think the River has learned that once you go thru the expense of engineering the proper sized culvert, dig out the old one, clean up the trench, install the culvert and backfill, you can throw a better pipe in for relatively little more.
When you were on hill, did you see any of the new Klik hydrants?

machski

The new trail at SR this year. Apparently only available after exiting Yetiville for now. Word I have received us that the mountain has bought one of the stalled developments off Monkey Brook Road (road to Jordan hotel and golf course). This particular development is off the backside of the rise that the Glades development is on (the homes off Ridge Run). Apparently the 10 year plan with that involves lifts and trails and the new ski back run is just the start. Whether these runs/lifts will be public or whether they will be private real estate access lifts I am unsure. All to be determined based on the real estate market as things move forward I am sure. You can also see a couple of the new carpets depicted in the lower blow up off the new map.8219.jpg

crazy

I was doing a little work at a condo in Merrill Brook today and took a moment to look at Sundance. They have two gravel pads running a couple hundred feet, but not the third one yet. I also see some precast concrete squares getting set, top and bottom stations??? So that is happening.

And I saw the snow guns running. They had blown some snow onto Cascades, but those guns were off when I got there. Pretty much, they were blowing snow on T-1 and Upper Punch, Jim's Whim between them, a piece of Jungle road and a piece of ecstasy, basically between Punch and T-2. They also blew snow to just below the Locke Mid station. So it looks like that's what we'll get again on opening day.

75485195_10156722264062876_7121584869494226944_o.jpg

I just learned why they blew snow on Cascades, apparently, to brag about making snow top to bottom!

Soon!!!!

Do you believe that Sunday River could have top to bottom by next weekend? Or is that pretty much out of the question? I know historically they start with just the upper half of Locke Mountain, but given that this year's opening day is late, and there are some cold temps this week, is it possible?

machski

I would say there is no way that they are open top to bottom next weekend. I don't have a crystal ball in good working order, but I really doubt it. The snow they had blown onto Cascades amounted to a dusting, and I suspect any rain or decent sunshine will wash it away. It's a promotional/marketing gimmick. They actually were blowing snow top to bottom, doesn't mean it all mattered.
I have to disagree here. Given the weather that is suppose to come in later Thursday with below freezing highs even in town for 72 hours, they will be TTB on at least Sunday Punch if not Cascades too. High probability of Barker spinning too with Ecstacy/Jungle as well. Now, if what some of the Mets are forecasting Thursday pans out and we get some natural to boot, even better. Remember, the big all skier investment right now is in the Snowmaking plant. They will want to show off especially given we are into the second weekend of November.

slatham

I have to disagree here. Given the weather that is suppose to come in later Thursday with below freezing highs even in town for 72 hours, they will be TTB on at least Sunday Punch if not Cascades too. High probability of Barker spinning too with Ecstacy/Jungle as well. Now, if what some of the Mets are forecasting Thursday pans out and we get some natural to boot, even better. Remember, the big all skier investment right now is in the Snowmaking plant. They will want to show off especially given we are into the second weekend of November.

Pretty serious arctic cold air coming in on Wednesday and lasting through the weekend. Mid winter like temps. Gonna be a lot of snow made.

machski

Sunday River is being weak this early season. Just announced opening for Saturday (ok, temps haven't been favorable up til now), but on FB they announced it's just Sat/Sun, they won't go midweek full time til next Friday. What the F? Monday is a holiday to boot!!

machski

It should also be noted that the Sundance and learning improvements will also include MASR being forced from its current home at some point in the near future. I've heard rumors that a spot on White Cap (the island between lower starburst and starlight behind the Grand has been discussed) will be the relocation. How they are supposed to get curbside dropoff there I have no idea. Some of the changes SR is making have terrible optics right now from the T-Bar to the learning area.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

crazy

So does this mean that opening weekend will mean lapping the upper half of the Locke chairlift?

machski

So does this mean that opening weekend will mean lapping the upper half of the Locke chairlift?
Probably to start given zero real base below midstation currently. My guess is they will allow skiing below midstation late morning on Saturday and on provided the temp forecast starting tonight verifies true.