Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020 - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Spent some time at the River this weekend, part of Prime Time Weekend for our ski club. Lots of improvements going on. A little here, a little there. They are rebuilding the last stretch of road up to the Jordan Inn. A project they started some 2 or 3 years ago and looks like they are finishing it up this year. They have also removed the blacktop on the road that goes beyond Merrill Brook, past Maine Adaptive and up to the North Peak Condos, with the plan to pave it late last week. Only, there is a problem, dare I say, in typical Sunday River fashion.

Somehow, it wasn't until they had the road all graded and ready to pave that someone figured we need to get that culvert replaced. At least, they realized this before it got paved....

The access road to the Summit has also received a rebuild, with at least 3 layers of blacktop, 2 inches each layer.

The T-bars look to be all installed on the new t bar. And it looks like the new poles are all in at the crossover and , well, it just looks like they are done.

I'm thinking maybe I like that Boyne owns the whole ball of wax now!
    lovin life,

Bob

I'm not sold the stuff you posted has got done because Boyne owns the whole thing outright. The Jordan Road has been a long work in progress and I think if you check, you will find the HOA kicked in a lot for that road project. Ditto for the Grand Summit drive, the HOA is covering a large chunk of that as well. The Portion beyond Merrill Brook I'm sure is being added partially into the glades real estate bill (after all, those roads in there are paved but the shared driveway with South Ridge Condos isn't and the road to it was a mess.). I also know for a fact the mountain wanted all the condo associations off Barker MTN Road to chip in to redo that while the mountain still managed all of us. We refused, and thus Barker MTN road is still a mess. So roadwork at SR doesn't get done on company $$ alone, Boyne owning it has nothing to do with it.

The T-Bar was completely paid for by Gould/SR Ski Club and I think one of the college's may have kicked in for it too. True, the mountain will operate and maintain it now, but the cost to the running point was not mountain $$. So all the mountain funded this year really is the three new carpets (which I would guess total the cost of the T-Bar maybe) and the second phase of the snowmaking boost (biggest $$ here with 4 new 500hp pumps and the installation of HKD Klik hydrants.). Boyne company wide, the only big money spent at a resort again this summer was Big Sky.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hmmmm... good to get an owner's perspective of some of the behind the scene stuff. Thanx.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Boyne company wide, the only big money spent at a resort again this summer was Big Sky.
    Boyne dropped millions for a new quad chair at the Summit at Snoqualmie.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier View Post
    Boyne dropped millions for a new quad chair at the Summit at Snoqualmie.
    True, I forgot about that. Well, they have pressure from the Vail upgrades at Stevens and it's former sister resort Crystal to keep up with. Boyne just isn't being pressed to do much with it's New England resorts. Sure VT areas are doing a lot, K most of all. But I don't think they view them as direct competition. It will likely take Vail doing something bold at Attitash to even catch Boyne's attention.

I still like the push to doubling the snowmaking capacity at SR, makes a ton of sense especially if you buy into shorter windows as we move forward. It's what SR has always been known for and they had been at least caught if not passed by the likes of Snow. That's great and incrementally increasing it is wise. But the lift ages are growing and the lodges have other problems than just some peeling paint and rotted siding board. They seem to keep up with South Ridge to some extent but Barker and obviously White Cap need some help. And while Peak has been dressed up with Mountain Room, it could still use some love too. I am curious to see if capital starts getting pumped up over the next two years after Boyne gets some breathing room from the acquisitions. I know Loafer's would like to see some and Loon is still waiting for the full build out of lower South Peak.

I took a drive up to the River today. The access road from Merrill Brook up to North Peak has been repaved. I stopped by Maine Adaptive to drop off paperwork, and took a look out at the slopes. There is a big ole mudhole out there. Nice long trenches for the carpet rides on Sundance. I heard they are taking the zip line out next year.

Then I drove over to Barker and there are .... 6" or 8" pipes laying on the ground below the T-bar. Additional or replacement snowmaking pipes, I'm guessing.

That's all for now.
    lovin life,

Bob

I was up to the river for the wife carrying contest, and afterwards hiked over to the new T-bar. At the top, we heard the bell ringing, and it started moving. They did this several times, then ran it full speed for a few minutes.

We looked over the trail up the mountain that the T-bar riders would have to traverse and it looks steady. We were wondering it they have any plans to run some kind of groomer up it, doesn't look like there will be enough height clearance to do so.

There are pipes cut up and laid about here and there, wondering if they are reconnecting them, re-routing them and if they are done???

Then we looked at the crossover of the Locke Triple and the T-bar (sorry, left my camera at home). The triple goes over the T-bar with 2 higher poles, then immediately comes back down under the wheels of the next pole, then continues on up the hill.

At the top, we are trying to figure out their plan for skier traffic. It very much looks like that if you are coming down T-2, you will not be able to head over to Sunday Punch. Coming down Ecstasy or Upper Punch, it appears you could go to Sunday Punch, or over to Cascades, basically splitting at the top of the T-bar. It also appears that you could access T-2 and Cascades at the top of Grand Junction thru a 30' opening in the trees over the snowmaking lines. It hasn't been open in the past, but it seems an easy fix. We're wondering, since they have some 4X4's in the ground above the top of the T-bar upper wheel, if they are going to put a permanent screen or some other kind of fencing to direct skiers around the top station.

Typically, T-2 is the first trail open in the early season, and you need to access the Locke Triple mid station to go up the lift.

This winter will prove fun and interesting, just seeing how this all works out. I'm sure they have a plan.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post

Somehow, it wasn't until they had the road all graded and ready to pave that someone figured we need to get that culvert replaced. At least, they realized this before it got paved....

Nice Pipe! Looks like ADS N-12, quality stuff.
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

Quote Originally Posted by WoodCore View Post
    Nice Pipe! Looks like ADS N-12, quality stuff.
    I think the River has learned that once you go thru the expense of engineering the proper sized culvert, dig out the old one, clean up the trench, install the culvert and backfill, you can throw a better pipe in for relatively little more.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    I think the River has learned that once you go thru the expense of engineering the proper sized culvert, dig out the old one, clean up the trench, install the culvert and backfill, you can throw a better pipe in for relatively little more.
    When you were on hill, did you see any of the new Klik hydrants?

Thread Information