• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020

machski

Very shocked with the reopen today and only 7 trails available. Sister resorts SL and Loon are kicking SR's butt on open terrain today. Not sure where the increased water capacity from last year and this summer have gone, but it certainly wasn't onto the hill this week. Not sure what is going on here, maybe a bit too much focus on serving the race community? Probably not. Hoping this is a staffing issue and not some systemic issue with the snowmaking plant.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Not quite, all I will say now that I know is that they are currently water limited. This should be corrected in time for the push to Christmas and then we should see the full power of the system.

On another note, Carpet install is happening. Poor shot while I waited for a binding mount I will admit.8925~2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Glad to see The Mountain Room is still operating. The website says open Thursday to Sunday. Hoping they switch to daily when the season gets going. Not sure what they usually do.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

machski

They do not go daily except for holiday weeks up there. Supposedly Mountain Room pizza will be available in peak cafe line this year, not sure if that is every day or not. The bar is open every day up there, just not the kitchen.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

Had a fun morning at Sunday river. Left Brooklyn at 1:15 am. Arrived at 730 and got one of the last spots in barker lot. Would not have been happy shuttling from south ridge. Ripped the 4 routes repeatedly, racked up 25k vertical by 12:30, and my legs told me to quit. Drove to Lincoln and checked into the motel and I’ll hit loon for a similar schedule tomorrow.

KustyTheKlown

Had a fun morning at Sunday river. Left Brooklyn at 1:15 am. Arrived at 730 and got one of the last spots in barker lot. Would not have been happy shuttling from south ridge. Ripped the 4 routes repeatedly, racked up 25k vertical by 12:30, and my legs told me to quit. Drove to Lincoln and checked into the motel and I’ll hit loon for a similar schedule tomorrow.

Zand

Holy shit, 6 hours is a long way to ski one lift at Sunday River lol. Hope it was worth the drive.

KustyTheKlown

I have an ikon pass and hardly get to Maine or NH. Using SR and Loon days this weekend and saving Vermont for later. I don’t miss a weekend unless it’s raining pretty much from here on out. These early weekends are important for getting my legs back so I’m ready when the snow falls. I like the driving for the most part, especially the middle of the night drives with no one else on the road

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Jiminy Peak was open if you're just looking for laps, vertical, and cheap tickets...

KustyTheKlown

free tickets. not cheap tickets. i don’t mind the drive, im staying on my ikon + magic 4 pack + champlain card

machski

Machski, I just looked at the map, and they are blowing on Broadway, Tourist Trap, Lazy River and Ski Back. That IS weak. What do you know about the water issue?
Doubt they are making on ski back, they said earlier this week they were hitting Agony and Rocking Chair (Not!). Although they may be for real estate sales, I could see the first home site had been cut in off the upper side of upper road in the glades development this week and ski back would be their access trail.

So the water thing, Donny Pelletier said as much if you YouTube his video. The increased water pumping capacity this year is because they had to replace some of the river pumps that burnt down sometime in the spring or summer (not sure that exact timeline). So the "new" pumps are replacements and are not yet installed and/or operational. I don't have a solid number but just speculation that they are running at 50% or so of water capacity as of last year right now. I'm told the new pumps will be online shortly or at worst when we really need them. To me, that would be two to three weeks ahead of Christmas week. We'll see, but all their posts about we're using our extra 10% right now, that's BS.

That's soooo lame. If this happened this past summer or spring and it still hasn't been fixed WTF! Especially considering all the marketing BS that the mountain is "pumping" out. Heads should roll! :angry:

skiberg1

I actually went to SR last weekend, got out of car looked at line, creeping lift, surprisingly limited snowmaking results and left. Did not even ski and I have a pass. I would not pay for what they have produced so far, loon is better option right now. Cannon way ahead by looks of it. They open next weekend.

machski

That's soooo lame. If this happened this past summer or spring and it still hasn't been fixed WTF! Especially considering all the marketing BS that the mountain is "pumping" out. Heads should roll! :angry:
I agree, they keep tooting about the 10% increase but they are currently running on half or so of what they had last year. Need I spell out part of the delay here? It deals with $$$...

They really should just fess up to their customers about what is going on (and not leave that to Donny). They keep on about their big 10% increase yet they only have 8 trails open. One might think they tossed in the towel on Snowmaking (which they didn't) but right now their communications and what they have done are producing horrible optics!

KustyTheKlown

I actually went to SR last weekend, got out of car looked at line, creeping lift, surprisingly limited snowmaking results and left. Did not even ski and I have a pass. I would not pay for what they have produced so far, loon is better option right now. Cannon way ahead by looks of it. They open next weekend.

SR only had 4 routes Saturday but I didn’t wait for any chairs. I was a single, but the group lines were minimal

Loon had more routes, more overall vertical on offer, less in the way of consistent steep pitches, but way more people than sr. a couple of runs with skiing under the guns with soft dry man made. They started loading the gondola at 7:40 or so and I got a lot of skiing in from 7:45-10, but then the gondola line got long and I called it at 11 to head home.

stopped in a pretty snazzy disepnsary in Worcester. expensive but very nice product. prices will come down eventually as more open and the other states get their systems up and running I suppose

Good to get my first set of consecutive ski days in. Legs are burnin a little

New pipeline, new pumps, "10% increase in snowmaking this year" so where does this leave us???????????????
On a handful of trails, oh boy! I'm a pass holder who is anxious to ski, but not on 8 trails. No thanks I'll spend my money elsewhere till things improve(?) thank you.
Just back from the ski show and saw where some of our $$$ went. It went to a fricking "she shed" full of crap. :thumbdown::angry::puke:

FWIW, the Beast had a great booth with a band and a live feed from the mountain showing what looked to be mid winter conditions......

Think I'll go to the Beast next weekend.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have been to SR twice. Once in 2012 and once last year. Last year was probably the most "luxurious" ski trip I've had in 5 years or so. I stayed at the Boyne-owned White Cap Lodge 3 nights, and walked to the mountain to ski each day (3 days). I give no craps about the following things I will mention but they did stand out to me...everything off-mountain was bare-bones...the lodges, the hotel. The hotel has old-style CRT TV's. That shocked me! Blast from the past, lol! Things were just "tired" looking...but it was everywhere. Each lodge looks like it's falling apart.

The place needs some serious investment. One new lift in the past 10 years if I have my history correct...and that was because the damn thing failed catastrophically...I think that says a lot.

Riverveteran

I don't get the complaining, its early, it will get better. Skied Sunday and it was great.

machski

I don't get the complaining, its early, it will get better. Skied Sunday and it was great.
See this post from the SR community board. Currently the system is running at only 50%. Yes, I thought conditions were good on Friday but it was a lot less terrain than I expected them to have or be working towards given what I know they can do. There is a reason, the new pumps are yet to come online. All will be good and Snowmaking capability should be super impressive once they are running full capacity!

http://sundayrivercommunity.proboards.com/thread/217/all-2019-2020-season?page=41