Crowd factor Sunday River on Saturdays - advice please

AlpineZone

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Crowd factor Sunday River on Saturdays - advice please

    How crowded does it get at Sunday River on a Saturday?
    Iím actually more concerned about trails being scrapped down to ice by noon, which is what typically happens at any NH, VT ski resort on any given weekend but Iím hoping that this is less of an issue at SR, perhpas? Their snow making is renowned and being further up north, may be not so crowded?



    I have not skied there in years and usually avoid skiing on Saturdays in general, but family trip is being scheduled. More than likely we wonít get there until noon next Saturday. Is scraped ice all over the place the likely scenario up there too?
    Iím debating an alternative way of spending that Saturday aftrenoon up there (hike up Grafon Notch instead)and hitting the slopes first thing on Sunday.
    Opinions of SR regulars will be greatly appreciated.
    Live for today

  2. #2
    MEtoVTSkier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aroostook County, ME
    Posts
    1,057
    As in this coming Saturday in the rain?

  3. #3
    Certain spots on the big groomers definitely get scrapey. How big the scrapey spots are and how quickly they get scraped depend on conditions and how much is open. Usually it's just specific spots, not everything. If the whole place is hardpack I quickly call it a day, but that almost never happens.

    Looks like this Saturday will be a meltdown, then we'll see how quickly they can rebound from that.

    Some scrape zones are the last pitch of Risky Business before the lift, most of Right Stuff, and the top of Lollapalooza.

    Overall SR handles crowds very well when it's fully open, but it isn't yet.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    As in this coming Saturday in the rain?
    next weekend, 12/21
    Live for today

  5. #5
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    6,947
    Not much different than any other large NE ski area when it comes to being scrapped off by noon. Like any other large NE ski area if it has snow itís fine. All I am saying is their snow making isnít renowned. There are better there are worse on any given day.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Long Island / Killington
    Posts
    171
    December is such a crapshoot with the weather, even that far north. Was there about the same week you are going a few years back and it sucked. I've never had an issue with the crowds though, like at K or Mt Snow. Even on a Saturday it seems fine. Go and make the best of it.

  7. #7
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,672
    Based on the 10 day forecast, after this Saturday's R@!n, temps look to dive early next week. They are still in expansion mode but should push some capacity to recovering on open terrain too. The stuff that has been open will likely be a bit scratchy by afternoon outside of any trails recently or that day being resurfaced. Anything opening newly that Saturday or immediately before should ski very nice all day. So I'd say keep an eye on the reports and Target recently opened trails. Jordan has yet to open this season, so I would expect whichever of the primary 3 over there are open to ski well all next Saturday if weather pans out. Beyond that, mostly just the Double Blacks and Oz have yet to see any snowmaking, so if any of those are open by then, they would also be good all day bets.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Not much different than any other large NE ski area when it comes to being scrapped off by noon. Like any other large NE ski area if it has snow itís fine. All I am saying is their snow making isnít renowned. There are better there are worse on any given day.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Huh? You sure about that...

    It's on more % of trails and largely more modern (as far as pipes) than Killington's snowmaking...
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Based on the 10 day forecast, after this Saturday's R@!n, temps look to dive early next week. They are still in expansion mode but should push some capacity to recovering on open terrain too. The stuff that has been open will likely be a bit scratchy by afternoon outside of any trails recently or that day being resurfaced. Anything opening newly that Saturday or immediately before should ski very nice all day. So I'd say keep an eye on the reports and Target recently opened trails. Jordan has yet to open this season, so I would expect whichever of the primary 3 over there are open to ski well all next Saturday if weather pans out. Beyond that, mostly just the Double Blacks and Oz have yet to see any snowmaking, so if any of those are open by then, they would also be good all day bets.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I like the outlined tactics.
    Thanks for everyone’s input. I hope that the the slopes will get through the rainy weekend with minimal damage and the following week’s cold temps are looking promissing.
    Live for today

  10. #10
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Huh? You sure about that...

    It's on more % of trails and largely more modern (as far as pipes) than Killington's snowmaking...
    Not sure about the pipes, Killington has been on an aggressive pipe replacement path for a couple of seasons. Other resorts have blown by SR in terms of GPM water pumping capacity. SR is finally catching back up and if they complete the planned doubling of water capacity, they would be up to around 16000 GPM onto the hill. They were renown back in the late 80's and 90's when no one else could touch their 8000 GPM, but they sat on that too long and got passed.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:48 AM.