Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020 - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    When you were on hill, did you see any of the new Klik hydrants?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Had to look it up!

Sorry, I didn't take any notice of new ones. I could see snow guns laying on the ground, and I could see new pipe with new fittings recently welded onto the pipe to accept the pipes that the hoses hook onto. They had that "new" rust on them. Kind of a hodgepodge of pipes and pieces of pipes here and there. Winding down, but not finished look about things.
    lovin life,

Bob

Drove over to the River today, while I was there, I checked out the new carpet lift area. The gravel pads appear to be done, just awaiting the carpet lifts.

They have a stockpile of gravel and PT lumber:

For anyone who wants, here is a picture of the snowmaking pond, with Sunday River running right by it.

You can see on this google earth map, where the pond is located relative to the pump house off Easy Street (Trail from Barker to South Ridge) You can also see where the pipe line runs in the woods.

Soon they'll be making snow and we'll be skiing!
    lovin life,

Bob

The new trail at SR this year. Apparently only available after exiting Yetiville for now. Word I have received us that the mountain has bought one of the stalled developments off Monkey Brook Road (road to Jordan hotel and golf course). This particular development is off the backside of the rise that the Glades development is on (the homes off Ridge Run). Apparently the 10 year plan with that involves lifts and trails and the new ski back run is just the start. Whether these runs/lifts will be public or whether they will be private real estate access lifts I am unsure. All to be determined based on the real estate market as things move forward I am sure. You can also see a couple of the new carpets depicted in the lower blow up off the new map.8219.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    For anyone who wants, here is a picture of the snowmaking pond, with Sunday River running right by it.
    Wow great photo of the foliage

Great picture!

I was doing a little work at a condo in Merrill Brook today and took a moment to look at Sundance. They have two gravel pads running a couple hundred feet, but not the third one yet. I also see some precast concrete squares getting set, top and bottom stations??? So that is happening.

And I saw the snow guns running. They had blown some snow onto Cascades, but those guns were off when I got there. Pretty much, they were blowing snow on T-1 and Upper Punch, Jim's Whim between them, a piece of Jungle road and a piece of ecstasy, basically between Punch and T-2. They also blew snow to just below the Locke Mid station. So it looks like that's what we'll get again on opening day.

I just learned why they blew snow on Cascades, apparently, to brag about making snow top to bottom!

Soon!!!!
    lovin life,

Bob

I was doing a little work at a condo in Merrill Brook today and took a moment to look at Sundance. They have two gravel pads running a couple hundred feet, but not the third one yet. I also see some precast concrete squares getting set, top and bottom stations??? So that is happening.

And I saw the snow guns running. They had blown some snow onto Cascades, but those guns were off when I got there. Pretty much, they were blowing snow on T-1 and Upper Punch, Jim's Whim between them, a piece of Jungle road and a piece of ecstasy, basically between Punch and T-2. They also blew snow to just below the Locke Mid station. So it looks like that's what we'll get again on opening day.

I just learned why they blew snow on Cascades, apparently, to brag about making snow top to bottom!

Soon!!!!
    Do you believe that Sunday River could have top to bottom by next weekend? Or is that pretty much out of the question? I know historically they start with just the upper half of Locke Mountain, but given that this year's opening day is late, and there are some cold temps this week, is it possible?

I would say there is no way that they are open top to bottom next weekend. I don't have a crystal ball in good working order, but I really doubt it. The snow they had blown onto Cascades amounted to a dusting, and I suspect any rain or decent sunshine will wash it away. It's a promotional/marketing gimmick. They actually were blowing snow top to bottom, doesn't mean it all mattered.
    lovin life,

Bob

I would say there is no way that they are open top to bottom next weekend. I don't have a crystal ball in good working order, but I really doubt it. The snow they had blown onto Cascades amounted to a dusting, and I suspect any rain or decent sunshine will wash it away. It's a promotional/marketing gimmick. They actually were blowing snow top to bottom, doesn't mean it all mattered.
    I have to disagree here. Given the weather that is suppose to come in later Thursday with below freezing highs even in town for 72 hours, they will be TTB on at least Sunday Punch if not Cascades too. High probability of Barker spinning too with Ecstacy/Jungle as well. Now, if what some of the Mets are forecasting Thursday pans out and we get some natural to boot, even better. Remember, the big all skier investment right now is in the Snowmaking plant. They will want to show off especially given we are into the second weekend of November.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I have to disagree here. Given the weather that is suppose to come in later Thursday with below freezing highs even in town for 72 hours, they will be TTB on at least Sunday Punch if not Cascades too. High probability of Barker spinning too with Ecstacy/Jungle as well. Now, if what some of the Mets are forecasting Thursday pans out and we get some natural to boot, even better. Remember, the big all skier investment right now is in the Snowmaking plant. They will want to show off especially given we are into the second weekend of November.

Pretty serious arctic cold air coming in on Wednesday and lasting through the weekend. Mid winter like temps. Gonna be a lot of snow made.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Thread Information