• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bos - den

jaytrem

I'm 15 from Newark.

Same here, you must live next door. When you live that close it doesn't make much sense to go elsewhere. I've flown out if JFK once, only because it was a group thing.

abc

If we are talking Jackson, WY, this Southwest story of yours is a tall tale. The closest Southwest gets to Jackson is Boise, ID.
You’re probably right. It might have been bozeman, not Jackson. But not salt lake or denver.

machski

You’re probably right. It might have been bozeman, not Jackson. But not salt lake or denver.
Not Bozeman either. Southwest has zero flights to WY and MT. Boise is the only option in that three state range on Southwest (make it five and include ND/SD too.) And you cannot get from the East to Boise on a single ticket with Southwest (I've tried, they won't connect it).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

And you cannot get from the East to Boise on a single ticket with Southwest (I've tried, they won't connect it).
I have no idea whether it's a single ticket or not. I wasn't the one traveling.

He wasn't flying to/from the east either. I think he was at the time living somewhere in the middle of the country (not east/west coast). It might have been a two legged flight, which would have made re-scheduling more problematic.

I try not to fly with a connection if I could. But to places like Jackson/Bozeman/Reno/Steamboat, there're very limited direct flights. Expensive and not always suit one's schedule. Taking the risk of a connected flight sometimes is a necessary evil.

Also, when I go for trips later in the season (late March/April/May), the risk of big storm is considerably less. If a connected flight is significantly cheaper, I would happily jump on it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Starting to plan trip for next spring. Best I can determine JetBlue, frontier, united and southwest all fly direct. What experiences have people had? Frontier is cheap and there is some kids fly free gimmick but I get the feeling they wil killl you on bags and booze. Southwest let's you check two free bags and they count skis and a boot bag as one bag. It will be my wife plus 3 and 7 year old daughters.

It's probably been already said, but Delta flies direct to SLC if you are interested in going a bit further.

thebigo

It's probably been already said, but Delta flies direct to SLC if you are interested in going a bit further.

We are going the last week of april and prefer to use epic over buying tickets, best I can determine Breckenridge is the only option.

AdironRider

I used to fly Jet Blue quite a bit. Even though their schedules don’t suit me the best, they were slightly cheaper than the “majors”.

Then one year, a snow storm hit, and I was stranded in Colorado for 3 days, while all the “majors” cleared their backlog in 24-36 hrs. At the time, my ski buddy out there happened to work at JB. I got the inside scoop of why. At the time, I was an hourly contractor. I lost 3 days pay. At least my buddy was able to fast track me for compensation of my hotel/rental SUV bill.

I also knew a friend got stranded at Jackson by Southwest for A FULL WEEK! Same scenario. I flew out only 1 day late on a “major”. He missed his second trip that was scheduled a week later because he couldn’t get back. No compensation.

Knowing what I know, I will only fly JB or SW when there’s a significant price difference. They’re not in the same class as the majors. I see little difference between the two.

Now Frontier, that’s a whole other level of risk!

Jet Blue and Southwest do not fly into Jackson, nor have they before, so cool internet story bro.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We are going the last week of april and prefer to use epic over buying tickets, best I can determine Breckenridge is the only option.

Yeah, I think that Breckenridge is going to be Vail's only late option. PCMR closes pretty early.