New Resort Moving Forward in Utah: Mayflower Resort

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,439

    Post New Resort Moving Forward in Utah: Mayflower Resort

    Deer Valley has long planned an expansion towards Jordanelle Reservoir. Anyone who has been to DV lately has seen their models in the base area near the realty offices showing the proposed expansion. Now it appears that another resort is going forward in the area. Extell Development Company is moving forward with the Mayflower Resort, which is separate and apart from Deer Valley. I am not sure if DV sold or leased whatever they owned in this area, or if this is a separate project on different land (according to one article, Extell purchased this area in November 2017, or right after Alterra bought DV).

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46616589...coming-to-utah

    https://www.deseret.com/2019/8/12/20...try-since-1980

    https://fox13now.com/2019/08/12/take...untain-resort/



    $1 billion investment. They have broken ground. 1,000 vertical foot descent. Three hotels and a conference center. Mainly beginner skier focused. Not clear if there will be snowboarding.

    The developer says it will be "2/3 the size of Deer Valley." I'm not sure what that means...perhaps he meant 2/3 the vertical drop.

    One other thing you will notice is that this has a military angle to it. The reason for this is that way back in the late 1990's Hill Air Force Base used to have a cabin on the land of what is now Snowbasin for folks to use. When Snowbasin expanded, they had to find another piece of land for the military to use for recreation. The powers to be agreed that a portion of this tract of land would be that new home and they wanted to at least build a modest hotel for soldiers to use. Now 20 plus years later it looks like there will be something.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  2. #2
    Yay for low angle south east facing terrain

    Where they getting snowmaking from? Jordenelle? Great...

    This will be the lowest elevation ski area in Utah with the worst aspect and probably lowest yearly snowfall totals. I’d expect it to have almost 100% snowmaking and open from Xmas to end March.

    Wasatxh county don’t give a fuck. That area is blown up and getting to be trash.

  3. #3
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,439
    Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Yay for low angle south east facing terrain

    Where they getting snowmaking from? Jordenelle? Great...

    This will be the lowest elevation ski area in Utah with the worst aspect and probably lowest yearly snowfall totals. I’d expect it to have almost 100% snowmaking and open from Xmas to end March.

    Wasatxh county don’t give a fuck. That area is blown up and getting to be trash.
    So there is a positive review.

    Agree that it has bad exposure.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  4. #4
    I wonder what the demand is for 1,000 foot vertical ski area is in the Wasatch? That's basically Blue Mountain in the Poconos or Plattekill in the Catskills, but dumped into the largest ski mecca in the US. Seems very odd, and I have a feeling the ski resort was a necessary evil for them to build eleventy-billion units of retail & residential via-a-vis the military aspect of a required military ski area. In other words, my guess is there be be NO ski area if they could just do the massive development without a ski area.

    That said, frankly, an area like this would be BETTER for the average beginner skier than going to one of the brand name ski resorts like Snowbird or Deer Valley, but the average beginner doesn't know enough to know this.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    That area is blown up and getting to be trash.
    I think "trash" is a wee-bit of an overstatement, but the level of construction build going on right now is positively staggering, and I would 100% agree, alarming.

    My wife & I were there 4 months ago & drove around pretty-much everywhere you can drive around the Back (Heber, Midway, Kamas, Francis, Wanship, Woodland, Coalville, etc..), and it did not matter where you went, construction & trucks & cranes were EVERYWHERE. Mostly residential builds, but also new box store footprints and strip malls as well. At a certain point (and soon) you'd hope someone local would step-in and realize that if they dont protect some open space the Wasatch Back is going to look like the Wasatch Front.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  6. #6
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,439
    So it looks like DV may be part of the mix...

    https://www.kpcw.org/post/deer-valle...xtell#stream/0
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  7. #7
    He said he’s not sure how much ski terrain will be available, but he expects around two-thirds of the terrain at Deer Valley and several lifts that rise about 1,000 feet.

    "We're actually in the midst of studying exactly what kind of skiing we can provide, and I think will determine that the next several months," Barnett said.
    ^From one of TTB's linked articles:

    So yeah, a ski resort is just a necessary evil here, and methinks that doesn't bode well for the quality of the ski offerings, but hopefully I'll be wrong about that.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I think "trash" is a wee-bit of an overstatement, but the level of construction build going on right now is positively staggering, and I would 100% agree, alarming.

    My wife & I were there 4 months ago & drove around pretty-much everywhere you can drive around the Back (Heber, Midway, Kamas, Francis, Wanship, Woodland, Coalville, etc..), and it did not matter where you went, construction & trucks & cranes were EVERYWHERE. Mostly residential builds, but also new box store footprints and strip malls as well. At a certain point (and soon) you'd hope someone local would step-in and realize that if they dont protect some open space the Wasatch Back is going to look like the Wasatch Front.
    It’s the difference between summit and wasatch counties. Wasatch county doesn’t care. Hence the blow up right over the county line. This shit won’t fly in summit county.

  9. #9
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,439
    Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    It’s the difference between summit and wasatch counties. Wasatch county doesn’t care. Hence the blow up right over the county line. This shit won’t fly in summit county.
    It's all about the $$$$.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    It's all about the $$$$.
    Real estate ski area with a connect to Dear Valley is the name of the game here. Lakeside properties too I imagine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:13 AM.