• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Ikon resort to spend week after christmas?

NYDB

So, last year I took the family out west for their first time Feb Break week to soli/brighton for 5 days. Little to no crowds. Looking to move the annual 'out west trip' up to Christmas break this year since it is easier for my work schedule (week after xmas 12/29-1/4). Looking at a few options and are receptive to any and all options. Budget really isn't a concern, but travel time and convenience is with 2 kids 11 and 7. Looking to stay slopeside for 5-6 days.

My main concerns are Intense Crowds and a low tide snowfall situation.

Big Sky would seem to be the best bet for crowd avoidance. Copper maybe too, but I don't see that as a 'destination'.

Is everywhere just going to be jammed with people and we should stick to Feb break (would suck for work but can deal)?

Snowbird/Alta?

Jackson Hole?

I just don't have any 'holiday week' experience out west in the past 20 years and am seeking opinions

jaytrem

My best guess for lower crowds would be Taos (if you don't have the black out pass). Not a lot of condos there compared to other places. Not sure about direct flights to ABQ. Unfortunately for me they no longer have them from Newark. as nice when they did, could hop off the plane and ski Sandia. At any rate, Taos is real nice when they have snow, bit riskier than other places.

Big Sky also an option for lower crowds(compared to others) and has potential for direct flights to Bozeman.

As for JH, the crowds seem to be increasing all the time. I assume it would be mobbed that week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hate to say it, but pretty much any of those resorts is going to be busy at Christmas time. Even Solitude. Of those, I'd have to agree that Big Sky or Taos, at baseline, are not as crowded, so it won't be quite as bad, but still expensive and busy.

abc

I was at Copper last Christmas - New Year. It's not bad. No big lines. No big mob on the runs. But I understand that's not your favorite.

I've also been at Steamboat during Christmas/NY time frame. It's busier than usual, though no big hang ups once you get off the gondola, no mob scene on the slope.

I wouldn't go to Taos so early in the season.

machski

Hate to say it, but pretty much any of those resorts is going to be busy at Christmas time. Even Solitude. Of those, I'd have to agree that Big Sky or Taos, at baseline, are not as crowded, so it won't be quite as bad, but still expensive and busy.
Both Big Sky and Taos can be a bit risky that early in the season. Big Sky is a bit better, it does have some snowmaking if thin but Lone Peak is very Rocky and needs a lot of the dry snow they tend to get to open up fully. I'd be aware of that. I would tend to lean myself towards either Copper/winter Park/ABasin or Utah. Those two options have resorts that have really amped up their snowmaking capabilities over the past decade. If you are planning it now and acting on it, those would be my options.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

I've heard Steamboat does a nice job over the holidays. Probably more fun for family. I've heard the skiing is kinda lame though besides the trees. Night skiing a plus.

abc

You're being greedy!

I've heard the skiing is kinda lame
Skiing before New Year WILL BE LAME!

Most places may or may not have their best terrains open that early, including the trees in Steamboat can be hit or miss.

I've had good luck at Jackson pre-NY. I also had good luck in Steamboat. But the locals in both places kept reminding me my good luck wasn't to be counted on as a norm.

The advantage of both Steamboat and Jackson, and for that matter Copper, are they have "lame" terrain covered by snow making!

Taos, on the other hand, can be quite limited without their advance terrain open. And it's rare it'll be open that early.

Last edited:

jaytrem

I've heard Steamboat does a nice job over the holidays. Probably more fun for family. I've heard the skiing is kinda lame though besides the trees. Night skiing a plus.

They've always had a lot of nice bump runs when I was there. Not sure if that's your thing at all. The trees are quite nice. I guess they don't have bunch of crazy steep stuff. I wouldn't say the skiing is at all lame though. Can also get direct flights from Newark.