Recommendations Wanted: First-Time Ski Trip (PA) - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    December in the Poconos is likely not going to be great (although you never know), so your suspicion that January will have better odds for conditions is correct.

Given the skiers are never-evers, forget Camelback & Blue Mountain. I'd go with Shawnee instead, as it will be much less crowded, and a much more low-key mountain, and the beginner terrain will be fine for them.
    Ah yes, I completely forgot about shawnee, I went there almost 10 years ago and it was pretty beginner friendly and had a pretty big snowtubing hill

That is a great idea. So mellow on top. Really slow lifts. Beats the crowds. The Poconos is crowded and has a lot of dangerous skiers that can intimidate beginners. And I think the danger is real.

The steeper terrain at the bottom is fun, especially the one with a headwall, but the slowwwww lift ruins it.

Quote Originally Posted by danimals View Post
    Montage if open. Wide mellow trails up top, great lodge and bar, right in Scranton and no crowds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by burntpancakes View Post
    Also, not to add to much to your plates, but I actually wanted to try cross country skiing for the first time this season (I've snowboarded for several years now). Based on the location I'm looking at do anything of these locations offer a scenic XC trail?
    XC skiing in the Poconos? Wow, you really are snowptimistic. Dont bet on it.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JoeB-Z View Post
    That is a great idea. So mellow on top. Really slow lifts. Beats the crowds. The Poconos is crowded and has a lot of dangerous skiers that can intimidate beginners. And I think the danger is real.
    This is precisely why I recommended it. Best place in the Poconos for beginners. I still go there maybe once every 2 or 3 years if they get a big storm. With plenty of snow I think the place is entertaining if I cant get to the Cats/ADK/VT.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I’m not much of a fan of camelback but for what you are looking for I think it’s the best choice.
    Plenty of beginner runs, plenty of lodging and a lot more things to do nearby.
    Jack Frost/Big also have plenty of beginner trails and lodging but not much to do afterwards other than a small indoor water park and a handful of restaurants a short drive away.

[QUOTE= small indoor water park and a handful of restaurants a short drive away.[/QUOTE]

https://www.kalahariresorts.com/penn...anding_pages=1

Forgot about this place up the interstate from Camelback
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by burntpancakes View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning a first-time weekend ski trip with a couple folks that are beginners at skiing/snowboarding....
    • Other activities in area (snow tubing, snow mobiling, restaurants, lodge quality, anything fun)
    Whichever resort you go to, do NOT say any of these phrases to beginners the entire weekend:
    "You don't need a lesson, I'll show you how."
    "Come with us on this Blue run, it's fun and you can do it"
    "You're not tired, come on out for one more run"

Good thinking on finding other activities.
    Last edited by mister moose; Aug 19, 2019 at 7:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asnowmobiler View Post
    I’m not much of a fan of camelback but for what you are looking for I think it’s the best choice.
    Camelback is a good choice - the most resort-like area in the Poconos, with plenty of lodging and non-ski-related options. I like the Shawnee recommendation, too, for first-timers. I learned to ski at a small hill where I didn't have to worry about being buzzed by yahoos or getting in over my head. I think those are important factors if you want the beginner to stick with it.

Another idea worth considering for someone from NJ - the ski dome in the Meadowlands is supposed to open in October. Might be worth taking the never-evers there for a lesson and get them used to being on skis/boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    https://www.kalahariresorts.com/penn...anding_pages=1

Forgot about this place up the interstate from Camelback
    Camelback back also has an indoor water park, the small one I was referring to is between Frost and Boulder. Lake Harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Another idea worth considering for someone from NJ - the ski dome in the Meadowlands is supposed to open in October. Might be worth taking the never-evers there for a lesson and get them used to being on skis/boards.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Thread Information