Recommendations Wanted: First-Time Ski Trip (PA) - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco DaSkia View Post
    if the place starts feeling small after a couple of days you can always shift over to Berkshire East just up the road. It’s nice to have these two places right next to each other like this. It really makes it convenient to stay in one spot and ski in two different places.
    I enjoy both places, but Catamount and Berkshire East are a solid hour and a half drive apart (and neither are anywhere near Pennsylvania) ... I wouldn’t call that “right next to each other”. I guess you could stay midway between them in Pittsfield (check out Bosquet while you are there, a little shabby but dirt cheap and usually empty)

Last edited by urungus; Aug 20, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Huh? There is far more "to do" in the Poconos than there is anywhere near Jay Peak. Again, this is terrible advice.
    That's what I'm here for. Giving terrible advice!

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    And there is more to do in the winter in the pocono's than there is in VT, also why would you pay the price of killington's tickets and rentals when they wouldn't even leave snowshed?
    Because obviously these people are dumb as shit and have too much money. So why not? What better place to waste it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbannedalot View Post
    Sounds like they are going there for other activities besides skiing.
    That's why I recommended Camelback. I don't see any reason to travel any more for first times skiers, in fact the bigger ski areas can be intimidating at first.

Quote Originally Posted by asnowmobiler View Post
    That's why I recommended Camelback. I don't see any reason to travel any more for first times skiers, in fact the bigger ski areas can be intimidating at first.
    I've always felt bad having friends who are new skiers pay top dollar to ski on Snowshed or Ramshead, but they come up anyway. It's more about the party scene that Killington has anyway. If you want to learn to ski for low cost, there are tons of places in metro NY/NJ/PA

If you are staying 3 days it sounds more like a vacation. PA doesnt sound like a vacation destination to get away. If you are just looking to learn to ski, just goto the closest place and day trip it. Let me know if you need any more terrible advice. I'm here for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    I've always felt bad having friends who are new skiers pay top dollar to ski on Snowshed or Ramshead, but they come up anyway. It's more about the party scene that Killington has anyway. If you want to learn to ski for low cost, there are tons of places in metro NY/NJ/PA
    The dude didn't bring up cost as a factor in his decision making. However he did say he'd like to book something for December. That is why I suggested heading north somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbannedalot View Post
    If you are staying 3 days it sounds more like a vacation. PA doesnt sound like a vacation destination to get away. If you are just looking to learn to ski, just goto the closest place and day trip it. Let me know if you need any more terrible advice. I'm here for you.
    Well there's always Bear Creek ?. Good beginner area low to moderate crowd, nice hotel ,tubing , shorter drive . Nice bar and general atmosphere .

https://www.bcmountainresort.com/?gc...SAAEgKy5vD_BwE

I rode the lift one night with a guy from Philly who was happy as a clam ...."Its close to home his place is great ! "
    A novice who was having a great time so some people don't know what they don't know.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    I'm of the opinion ...Why waste the dollars if you can't ski whats there?
    It should be mentioned that many resorts steeply discount learn to ski packages. I don't know what they do in the Poconos, but in VT January is learn to ski month, and most areas offer stupid cheap deals. Killington (in January) a few years ago was $29 the first day and 80 or 90 for the next 2 days. That's for lift, lessons and equipment. There's even a 4 day deal where you get free skis on the 4th day. Don't know the next season's prices, but it's way cheaper than pricing separately. If the Poconos don't do that, that might be reason enough right there. (non January rates are higher)

OK, checked the website, non-January learn to rates last season were $140 first day, $90 more for days 2 & 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    It should be mentioned that many resorts steeply discount learn to ski packages. I don't know what they do in the Poconos, but in VT January is learn to ski month, and most areas offer stupid cheap deals. Killington (in January) a few years ago was $29 the first day and 80 or 90 for the next 2 days. That's for lift, lessons and equipment. There's even a 4 day deal where you get free skis on the 4th day. Don't know the next season's prices, but it's way cheaper than pricing separately. If the Poconos don't do that, that might be reason enough right there. (non January rates are higher)

OK, checked the website, non-January learn to rates last season were $140 first day, $90 more for days 2 & 3.
    Yea...they definitely do some impressive things. Sugarbush has a "First timer to life timer" program for people ages 13+ who have never skied. $299 gets you 3 days of tickets, lessons, and rentals plus a free season pass if you complete the program successfully. You can add on a 4th day for another $105 and get a free pair of skis just like Killington does too.

Thread Information