Recommendations Wanted: First-Time Ski Trip (PA) - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    The Take 3 Beginner Package allows you or someone you love to take 3 beginner ski or snowboard lessons at participating Vermont resorts for one low package price of $129.
    Beginner skiers and riders can choose to redeem all three lessons at the same resort* or they can choose to visit a new resort for each lesson – it’s up to them. Each pass will include rental equipment for the day plus a group lesson with a professional instructor and a lift ticket to access limited beginner only terrain.

https://skivermont.com/take-3

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    I enjoy both places, but Catamount and Berkshire East are a solid hour and a half drive apart (and neither are anywhere near Pennsylvania) ... I wouldn’t call that “right next to each other”. I guess you could stay midway between them in Pittsfield (check out Bosquet while you are there, a little shabby but dirt cheap and usually empty)
    You are right. I mixed the locations of Berkshire East and Bosquet in my slow mind.......

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    If the Poconos don't do that
    The Poconos does do that. I was under the impression that virtually everywhere in America did that.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The Poconos does do that. I was under the impression that virtually everywhere in America did that.
    I think Metro areas are a little different. In the Hartford area, Ski Sundown only offers the first day deal at $86, after the first day it's the rack rate for anything. Sundown's packages are 5 or 6 week programs once a week in various flavors, marketed to residents and schools, not weekenders.

So 3 days of lift lessons and equipment at Sundown is $270(Restricted to Sunnyside), at Killington it's $230 (Unrestricted).

Which part of December?

If it’s during the Christmas period, you better book your lodging now!

But mid-december? Wait till the Wednesday before!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco DaSkia View Post
    The Take 3 Beginner Package allows you or someone you love to take 3 beginner ski or snowboard lessons at participating Vermont resorts for one low package price of $129.
    Beginner skiers and riders can choose to redeem all three lessons at the same resort* or they can choose to visit a new resort for each lesson – it’s up to them. Each pass will include rental equipment for the day plus a group lesson with a professional instructor and a lift ticket to access limited beginner only terrain.

https://skivermont.com/take-3
    Thanks for this.

I've taken all this information in, and I was just about set on Camelback (due to the variety of activities) or Montage, but the family threw a wrench in the mix. They are now leaning towards December over January. If we decide to risk it and do December would you say all of the PA resorts are out? (i.e. Camelback, Blue, Elk, Montage.)?

If thats the case, would going upstate new york be enough? Or would I need to go all the way up to Vermont?

Quote Originally Posted by burntpancakes View Post
    Thanks for this.

I've taken all this information in, and I was just about set on Camelback (due to the variety of activities) or Montage, but the family threw a wrench in the mix. They are now leaning towards December over January. If we decide to risk it and do December would you say all of the PA resorts are out? (i.e. Camelback, Blue, Elk, Montage.)?

If thats the case, would going upstate new york be enough? Or would I need to go all the way up to Vermont?
    Dec 1 or Dec 31 ?

Thanks for this.

December is just a terrible time in general to plan in advance as it is so variable. Even Vermont can have a low number of trails open in December some years (and other years they can be 100% open).

For PA, here's some information on recent opening dates to give you an example of what we're dealing with as far as December risks in the Poconos. And just because a resort was "open" doesn't tell you how much terrain they actually had available.

Camelback
    11/30/2018
    12/15/2017
    12/15/2016
    12/22/2015
    11/28/2014

Elk
    12/12/2018
    12/13/2017
    12/13/2016
    01/05/2016 (apparently they didn't make December at all in the 2015/2016 season)
    12/04/2014

Montage
    11/23/2018
    12/14/2017
    12/14/2016
    01/07/2016 (Another PA resort that didn't make December this season)
    12/18/2014

Thanks for this.

Elk ...maybe ? 2yrs ago I had a 2' powder day ( well more like snowed for 5 days straight ) at Elk mid December lake effect was kind but can't be planned.

If you want to ski December find a place that has solid snow making and cold that time of year ..so New England not Pa.
    Killington works and for all the things on your non ski list .
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    December is just a terrible time in general to plan in advance as it is so variable. Even Vermont can have a low number of trails open in December some years (and other years they can be 100% open).

For PA, here's some information on recent opening dates to give you an example of what we're dealing with as far as December risks in the Poconos. And just because a resort was "open" doesn't tell you how much terrain they actually had available.

Camelback
    11/30/2018
    12/15/2017
    12/15/2016
    12/22/2015
    11/28/2014

Elk
    12/12/2018
    12/13/2017
    12/13/2016
    01/05/2016 (apparently they didn't make December at all in the 2015/2016 season)
    12/04/2014

Montage
    11/23/2018
    12/14/2017
    12/14/2016
    01/07/2016 (Another PA resort that didn't make December this season)
    12/18/2014
    Nice job on the stats
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Thread Information