Recommendations Wanted: First-Time Ski Trip (PA) - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    December is just a terrible time in general to plan in advance as it is so variable. Even Vermont can have a low number of trails open in December some years (and other years they can be 100% open).
    I don't think this matters too much for beginners. With the exception of places competing to be the first to open, resorts will typically not open unless their beginner areas have snow. That being said, I definitely wouldn't recommend planning in August on skiing the Poconos before Christmas week (although they often do open before than as your stats show).

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    I don't think this matters too much for beginners. With the exception of places competing to be the first to open, resorts will typically not open unless their beginner areas have snow.
    I completely disagree. Beginner trails are rarely the first to be targeted with snowmaking in Vermont and many resorts open before those trails are available. You often see warnings in snow reports early in December at VT ski areas stating no beginner terrain is available. Core early season trails will be covered first (some advanced and some intermediate terrain designed to cater to the majority of the early season skiers). Once enough of that is open and covered they will spread out to the beginner locations.

Sure, the goal is to always have some beginner terrain open by around mid-December at many VT areas prior to the Christmas week, but it is still weather dependent and there is definitely still risk. Is there less risk than the Poconos? Absolutely. But we shouldn't mislead people either into thinking that beginner terrain would definitely be open just because a resort is open.

Yea...they definitely do some impressive things. Sugarbush has a "First timer to life timer" program for people ages 13+ who have never skied. $299 gets you 3 days of tickets, lessons, and rentals plus a free season pass if you complete the program successfully. You can add on a 4th day for another $105 and get a free pair of skis just like Killington does too.
    So if I were to fake being a beginner for 3 days, I could get a season pass for $299 ?

I completely disagree. Beginner trails are rarely the first to be targeted with snowmaking in Vermont and many resorts open before those trails are available.
    Are most resorts in VT opening with one or two WRODs for the diehards? I certainly wouldn't recommend a beginner heading up to K in October hoping to ski Snowshed. Wasn't aware that the VT resorts that open later were just offering intermediate and expert options. That's certainly not how it works in the Poconos. Sure, they won't try to open all their green trails to start, but the beginner areas are definitely a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    So if I were to fake being a beginner for 3 days, I could get a season pass for $299 ?
    Supposedly they are pretty good as figuring out if someone is trying to pull a fast one...

Are most resorts in VT opening with one or two WRODs for the diehards? I certainly wouldn't recommend a beginner heading up to K in October hoping to ski Snowshed. Wasn't aware that the VT resorts that open later were just offering intermediate and expert options. That's certainly not how it works in the Poconos. Sure, they won't try to open all their green trails to start, but the beginner areas are definitely a priority.
    I wouldn't call them WRODs at all. Sugarbush's typical progression is to open some combination of Snowball, Spring Fling, Jester, Downspout, and Organgrinder first. Then temps dictate a lot of what they hit next. If they only have temps up high, they'll do Ripcord. Otherwise they'll do some combination of Lower Downspout, Middle Jester, Lower Organgrinder, and sometimes even Steins next to get more lower mountain alternatives open and go back up to Ripcord only when temps force them off the lower mountain. At this point they'll usually start to move over to the beginner terrain off Gate House (Pushover, Easy Rider, Hot Shot, etc) to have them ready for usually around the 3rd week of December. Really the only reason Gate House would ever be done before some of the other trails I mentioned is if weather isn't cooperating at all and you're well into December with only a few trails covered.

Most VT resorts have their "normal" opening around Thanksgiving to early December. There's no major push to have beginner terrain by that point. The key with beginner terrain is having it available prior to Christmas (whereas in the Poconos this is around the time many of those resorts are just opening period, so it makes sense that they need to have beginner terrain right away).

Off the top of my head -

Thanksgiving - Killington has entire North Ridge, World Cup and usually top to bottom on K-1, 50% chance of 1 trail on Ramshead. Most other major VT areas open.
    1st week of December - Killington opened Ramshead, blowing Snowshed. Okemo usually overtakes Killington in open acres about this time.
    2nd week December - Snowshed open, Skye Peak open, possibly Needles.
    3rd week December trying for Bear, expanding trails resort wide, Skyeship base.
    4th week December Bear open

All this varies of course, the horrible year about 4 years ago saw zero expansion into Ramshead and Snowshed until after Christmas, only to lose it again. That season really didn't get going until the 1st week of January.

I'm not familiar with trail rollout at other mountains, but in general I'd say 2nd weekend in December for dependable beginner terrain in VT. (Obviously varies by season and latitude)

I wouldn't call them WRODs at all. Sugarbush's typical progression is to open some combination of Snowball, Spring Fling, Jester, Downspout, and Organgrinder first. Then temps dictate a lot of what they hit next. If they only have temps up high, they'll do Ripcord. Otherwise they'll do some combination of Lower Downspout, Middle Jester, Lower Organgrinder, and sometimes even Steins next to get more lower mountain alternatives open and go back up to Ripcord only when temps force them off the lower mountain. At this point they'll usually start to move over to the beginner terrain off Gate House (Pushover, Easy Rider, Hot Shot, etc) to have them ready for usually around the 3rd week of December. Really the only reason Gate House would ever be done before some of the other trails I mentioned is if weather isn't cooperating at all and you're well into December with only a few trails covered.)
    SB doesn't try to open the Village Quad right off the bat? That's what I have in mind as beginner terrain - basically learning areas for true beginners. If areas like that are not priorities for VT resorts, then I agree that planning a December learn-to-ski trip in VT is not a sure thing.

SB doesn't try to open the Village Quad right off the bat? That's what I have in mind as beginner terrain - basically learning areas for true beginners. If areas like that are not priorities for VT resorts, then I agree that planning a December learn-to-ski trip in VT is not a sure thing.
    Nope. Village is not a priority lift/area and won't come online until Gate House as a whole opens. Thanksgiving to mid December is just Super Bravo (and/or Valley House) and Heaven's Gate for lifts. You may get one of the beginner carpets open earlier once in a while, but no guarantees.

Supposedly they are pretty good as figuring out if someone is trying to pull a fast one...
    So if your a skier just learn to snowboard or vice versa.

Thread Information