• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommendations Wanted: First-Time Ski Trip (PA)

Domeskier

Nope. Village is not a priority lift/area and won't come online until Gate House as a whole opens. Thanksgiving to mid December is just Super Bravo (and/or Valley House) and Heaven's Gate for lifts. You may get one of the beginner carpets open earlier once in a while, but no guarantees.

That makes sense. There's probably not much demand to learn to ski before winter sets in, while many intermediates and advanced skiers are champing at the bit to get back on snow as early as possible.

cdskier

So if your a skier just learn to snowboard or vice versa.

Of course if you've ever been there in general they probably have your name on file thanks to technology today. So that may not work either if you were ever there. It even specifically says you're not eligible for the season pass if you're switching from one to the other, but you can still otherwise take advantage of the lift/lesson/rental part of the package. I don't know how they check whether you are truly a first timer or not if you've never been to the resort.

mbedle

2017/18 All Mountain Season Pass offer is available only to those guests for whom the First Timer to Life Timer Package is their first ever snow sports experience, and who take all three lessons within the 2017-18 season. The season pass will be withdrawn from those with prior experience. Guests switching from skiing to snowboard and vice versa are not eligible for the season pass offer but still may participate in the lesson, lifts and rentals components of the package.

Smellytele

So if your a skier just learn to snowboard or vice versa.

Thinking of just doing 3 days of snowboard lessons then getting the pass and skiing. Is it a whole mtn pass or just the beginner lifts?

Damn just saw above that switching between skiing and snowboarding you don't get the free pass. There goes that plan.
Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

burntpancakes

December is just a terrible time in general to plan in advance as it is so variable. Even Vermont can have a low number of trails open in December some years (and other years they can be 100% open).

For PA, here's some information on recent opening dates to give you an example of what we're dealing with as far as December risks in the Poconos. And just because a resort was "open" doesn't tell you how much terrain they actually had available.

Camelback
11/30/2018
12/15/2017
12/15/2016
12/22/2015
11/28/2014

Elk
12/12/2018
12/13/2017
12/13/2016
01/05/2016 (apparently they didn't make December at all in the 2015/2016 season)
12/04/2014

Montage
11/23/2018
12/14/2017
12/14/2016
01/07/2016 (Another PA resort that didn't make December this season)
12/18/2014

awesome tabulation, really puts things into perspective. Based on the group, we'd probably need to go opening week, which would be impossible to plan and reserve out.

asnowmobiler

Blue Mountain opens a beginner trail first, they have to, it's right in front of the lodge and the only hit the slopes from the summit.

mbedle

But how can they tell if you ski and are take snow board lessons and visa versa?

Good point, maybe they wouldn't know. With the RFID and a box checked off on your pass in the computer system, they will be looking at you at the gates making sure that you are still snowboarding and not going back on your skies.

Smellytele

Good point, maybe they wouldn't know. With the RFID and a box checked off on your pass in the computer system, they will be looking at you at the gates making sure that you are still snowboarding and not going back on your skies.

After I get the pass would they take it away?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I see you also asked about Cross Country. No XC that near any of the Pocono areas. Closest is High Point XC in NJ.
But XC places do not make snow and this far south some winters they are only open a handful of days. December opening is quite unlikely.