• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommendations Wanted: First-Time Ski Trip (PA)

Sirbannedalot

If it is only 1 hour 20 min to these shitty PA hills, you would be better to take them up to a real resort up north. I know you dont want to drive it but, there will be more for them to do if they dont end up skiing the whole time. And for 3 days, does a drive really matter? Shit, I've day tripped Jay Peak solo 6 hrs each way.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
If it is only 1 hour 20 min to these shitty PA hills, you would be better to take them up to a real resort up north. I know you dont want to drive it but, there will be more for them to do if they dont end up skiing the whole time. And for 3 days, does a drive really matter? Shit, I've day tripped Jay Peak solo 6 hrs each way.

I'm of the opinion ...Why waste the dollars if you can't ski whats there?

Sirbannedalot

Yeah, because that's just what a first-time-ever on skis person needs; Jay Peak.

Where's the facepalm emoji?

I didnt say take them to Jay. But, that's not a bad idea due to the things there are to do. I was thinking something along the lines of SVT, Windham or Killington. An area with separated beginner terrain and activities other than skiing. If it was an hour and 20 min from home I'd rather come home and sleep in my own comfortable bed and drive back the next day. I usually goto ski not spend time doing the other things. Which is why I suggested taking them to a real resort with other activities. I can't imagine booking a trip in PA and staying there for 3 days. One day at anywhere in PA is more than enough.

skiur

Sounds like they are going there for other activities besides skiing.

And there is more to do in the winter in the pocono's than there is in VT, also why would you pay the price of killington's tickets and rentals when they wouldn't even leave snowshed?

Bosco DaSkia

If you’re looking for cheap skiing for beginners, you should check out Catamount. They have an excellent beginner area. They’ve been doing a lot of upgrading at the ski area. Many new trails and a very nice new lodge. But it still one of the best deals out there.

You can get mid week tickets online for only $20 a day. You can get a ski and stay package for as low as $45 per person per night that is lodging and lift ticket. They also have a learning package that gives you lift, rentals and lessons for only $45 a day for the second and third days.

Mid week you will basically have the place to yourself. Never a line midweek, but even on the weekends, not many people actually go there. Which is a shame, because it’s a really nice place. Especially at the prices they charge.

They have an excellent snowmaking system. They are the place that invented fan guns. So the place is just lined with these very unique ancient guns. As a result, they always have a fairly excellent base no matter what the snowfall has been to date.

Not sure which part of “central New Jersey” you be from, but it’s about three hours or less from Flemington.

859A08CC-9744-4738-A8A9-1D7A2B3A5487.jpeg

4D450BC2-F901-4264-9BAE-DD869CAA82AA.jpg

https://www.catamountski.com/deals-savings/

https://www.catamountski.com/lodging-dining/

And, if the place starts feeling small after a couple of days you can always shift over to Berkshire East just up the road. It’s nice to have these two places right next to each other like this. It really makes it convenient to stay in one spot and ski in two different places.

9ED7B9D0-6A74-4412-8DCE-37BACAB3CB64.jpg

https://berkshireeast.com/tickets/

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Aa
[ aQUOTE=Bosco DaSkia;1024702]If you’re looking for cheap skiing for beginners, you should check out Catamount. They have an excellent beginner area. They’ve been doing a lot of upgrading at the ski area. Many new trails and a very nice new lodge. But it still one of the best deals out there.
Hunter ski mountain made the snow guns
Do some research
Catamount is a nice choice for the this group but probably farther than they wanted to drive

You can get mid week tickets online for only $20 a day. You can get a ski and stay package for as low as $45 per person per night that is lodging and lift ticket. They also have a learning package that gives you lift, rentals and lessons for only $45 a day for the second and third days.

Mid week

They have an excellent sonwmaking system. There are the place that invented fan guns. .

View attachment 25386

View attachment 25385

https://www.catamountski.com/deals-savings/

https://www.catamountski.com/lodging-dining/

And, if the place starts feeling small after a couple of days you can always shift over to Berkshire East just up the road. It’s nice to have these two places right next to each other like this. It really makes it convenient to stay in one spot and ski in two different places.

View attachment 25387

https://berkshireeast.com/tickets/[/QUOTE]

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I think the best place for beginners in PA is Shawnee. If the goal is lots of non ski activities and a nice place for a vaca for non skiers, I would go to Camelback which has a nice hotel with an indoor waterpark, a huge snow tubing area, a mountain coaster and a couple nice restaurants - as well as being close to many other Pocono attractions. Really the only place in NEPA that is a ski resort rather than a ski hill.

Driving an extra 5 hours would be silly for beginner skiers IMO, but if I were to do all that extra driving it would be to Lake Placid where there are a huge number of non downhill winter activities including XC and Olympic Ski Jumping (fun just to watch or to go up tower), Bob sledding, luge and skating facilities

urungus

if the place starts feeling small after a couple of days you can always shift over to Berkshire East just up the road. It’s nice to have these two places right next to each other like this. It really makes it convenient to stay in one spot and ski in two different places.

I enjoy both places, but Catamount and Berkshire East are a solid hour and a half drive apart (and neither are anywhere near Pennsylvania) ... I wouldn’t call that “right next to each other”. I guess you could stay midway between them in Pittsfield (check out Bosquet while you are there, a little shabby but dirt cheap and usually empty)

Last edited:

Sirbannedalot

And there is more to do in the winter in the pocono's than there is in VT, also why would you pay the price of killington's tickets and rentals when they wouldn't even leave snowshed?
Because obviously these people are dumb as shit and have too much money. So why not? What better place to waste it?

Killingtime

That's why I recommended Camelback. I don't see any reason to travel any more for first times skiers, in fact the bigger ski areas can be intimidating at first.

I've always felt bad having friends who are new skiers pay top dollar to ski on Snowshed or Ramshead, but they come up anyway. It's more about the party scene that Killington has anyway. If you want to learn to ski for low cost, there are tons of places in metro NY/NJ/PA

Sirbannedalot

If you are staying 3 days it sounds more like a vacation. PA doesnt sound like a vacation destination to get away. If you are just looking to learn to ski, just goto the closest place and day trip it. Let me know if you need any more terrible advice. I'm here for you.

Sirbannedalot

I've always felt bad having friends who are new skiers pay top dollar to ski on Snowshed or Ramshead, but they come up anyway. It's more about the party scene that Killington has anyway. If you want to learn to ski for low cost, there are tons of places in metro NY/NJ/PA

The dude didn't bring up cost as a factor in his decision making. However he did say he'd like to book something for December. That is why I suggested heading north somewhere.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
If you are staying 3 days it sounds more like a vacation. PA doesnt sound like a vacation destination to get away. If you are just looking to learn to ski, just goto the closest place and day trip it. Let me know if you need any more terrible advice. I'm here for you.

Well there's always Bear Creek ?. Good beginner area low to moderate crowd, nice hotel ,tubing , shorter drive . Nice bar and general atmosphere .

https://www.bcmountainresort.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjffnndKS5AIVAbbICh0bcwJrEAAYASAAEgKy5vD_BwE

I rode the lift one night with a guy from Philly who was happy as a clam ...."Its close to home his place is great ! "
A novice who was having a great time so some people don't know what they don't know.

mister moose

I'm of the opinion ...Why waste the dollars if you can't ski whats there?
It should be mentioned that many resorts steeply discount learn to ski packages. I don't know what they do in the Poconos, but in VT January is learn to ski month, and most areas offer stupid cheap deals. Killington (in January) a few years ago was $29 the first day and 80 or 90 for the next 2 days. That's for lift, lessons and equipment. There's even a 4 day deal where you get free skis on the 4th day. Don't know the next season's prices, but it's way cheaper than pricing separately. If the Poconos don't do that, that might be reason enough right there. (non January rates are higher)

OK, checked the website, non-January learn to rates last season were $140 first day, $90 more for days 2 & 3.

cdskier

It should be mentioned that many resorts steeply discount learn to ski packages. I don't know what they do in the Poconos, but in VT January is learn to ski month, and most areas offer stupid cheap deals. Killington (in January) a few years ago was $29 the first day and 80 or 90 for the next 2 days. That's for lift, lessons and equipment. There's even a 4 day deal where you get free skis on the 4th day. Don't know the next season's prices, but it's way cheaper than pricing separately. If the Poconos don't do that, that might be reason enough right there. (non January rates are higher)

OK, checked the website, non-January learn to rates last season were $140 first day, $90 more for days 2 & 3.

Yea...they definitely do some impressive things. Sugarbush has a "First timer to life timer" program for people ages 13+ who have never skied. $299 gets you 3 days of tickets, lessons, and rentals plus a free season pass if you complete the program successfully. You can add on a 4th day for another $105 and get a free pair of skis just like Killington does too.