• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Salt Lake City Lodging Info

bushpilot

I am staying in SLC for two weeks with a trip up to Big Ski over the weekend in the middle. I was planning on hitting up all the ikon mountains at least once and then going to the ones I like more so want maximum flexibility with where I stay. Is it better to stay close to the canyons in sandy or cottonwood heights or does the extra distance from downtown not really make much of a difference? Also should I spend a couple days in park city or can I see plenty of it just visiting and staying in the SLC?

Last edited:

Zand

Just going off personal experience, I've always stayed at the Super 8 in Midvale. It's way too nice to actually be a Super 8 and it's been $68 a night every time I've stayed, no matter the day of the week or time of the season. It's in the middle of every chain restaurant you could imagine so you can eat pretty cheap. Under 30 minutes to the Cottonwood ski areas (and very easy access to the bus which can be better than driving up, especially on powder days). About 40 minutes to Park City. Also about 15 minutes from downtown if there's anything there you want to do.

If you want more of a ski town experience, it's worth actually staying in Park City for a few days as pretty much everywhere else in the SLC metro is just that, suburbia.

I've heard it's one of those checklist items to stay at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird and get "stuck" up there during an interlodge, then have the mountain to yourself for a couple hours until the roads open. Of course, that's luck of the draw (except for last year when it happened seemingly once every 3 days).

SLC is an awesome trip to make. Sure the area is very bland and basic compared to some other mountain cities, but there's nowhere that's easier to get around while having so much so close, and so cheap. Also, not sure if you're driving up to Big Sky but if you do I'd recommend also stopping in Jackson (especially with an Ikon Pass). You won't regret it.

bushpilot

I am driving on this trip. Will probably use the bus a few times to see how it is for possible future trips by plane with the hopes of not having to rent a car. I already have a 8 days in Jackson booked for another trip where I will be flying. I’ll use my 5 days then and also try and ski GT or SK while I’m there. I heard the buses around Jackson are easy to use.

BenedictGomez

It's definitely worth staying a few days in Park City given you've never been.

As for your stay on the Wasatch Front, there are so many AirBNB & VRBO places in this area that you will find much better accommodations that way than by staying at a hotel or motel, and for the same price or cheaper. I wouldn't even think of staying in a hotel or motel in SLC given the variety of private offerings, many of which even cater to the ski market & include niceties like hot tubs.

abc

Any reason you want to stay downtown SLC? It’s not like Chicago or New York. There isn’t much downtown.

That said, I don’t think the extra distance make much a difference.

bushpilot

Any reason you want to stay downtown SLC? It’s not like Chicago or New York. There isn’t much downtown.

No but as I’m looking at available places I’m not sure I should rule out the downtown area. There are a lot of very reasonably priced places there.

BenedictGomez

I agree there's no reason to stay in downtown SLC, were I to stay on the Front I'd go with Sandy or Cottonwood Heights. But I think there's quite a bit to do in SLC from the science center to the artsy area outside the science center to the big mall & stores, a few museums, and lots of nice restaurants & bars. Especially for someone who's never been there before you could certainly fill-up some non-ski fun time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am staying in SLC for two weeks with a trip up to Big Ski over the weekend in the middle. I was planning on hitting up all the ikon mountains at least once and then going to the ones I like more so want maximum flexibility with where I stay. Is it better to stay close to the canyons in sandy or cottonwood heights or does the extra distance from downtown not really make much of a difference? Also should I spend a couple days in park city or can I see plenty of it just visiting and staying in the SLC?

Depends upon what kind of experience you want. If you are interested in saving some coin, don't care about nightlife or fancy restaurants, then sure, staying in Sandy or Cottonwood Heights is a good idea. If you are interested in (something like) nightlife, bars, etc., then stay downtown at like the Little America or Marriott.

As to Park City, depends again on if you want to spend significant time downtown. It can be done in a day or a few. PC is pretty pricy though and has only gotten worse.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am driving on this trip. Will probably use the bus a few times to see how it is for possible future trips by plane with the hopes of not having to rent a car. I already have a 8 days in Jackson booked for another trip where I will be flying. I’ll use my 5 days then and also try and ski GT or SK while I’m there. I heard the buses around Jackson are easy to use.

It is not a bad drive from SLC to Jackson. The only issue in winter can be the weather.

Grand Targhee is well worth the trip. Great snow and no crowds at all. Very laid back.

ScottySkis

When I went to Utah������ it snowed like 100 inches 1 week
I went several times in 20009-2011
I did the economical cheap and stayed at Motel 6 Suite with kitchen so I didn't have to go for to eat.
The motel was in Midvale and ski bus pick me up across the street
The motel 6 for 10 days was like 400
I need to back to SlC soon memories

ThinkSnow

I've stayed at Homewood Suites in Midvale in years past, since the skiers I travel with are snorers, we could have separate rooms. The rate also includes breakfast, and most weekdays have free evening snacks with free wine and beer (eg hot dogs & budweiser).

Last edited:

bushpilot

A lot of the places in Sandy seem to be converted basement apartments. The places downtown are stand alone apartments often in a large building complex.

BenedictGomez

Yes. Be wary of VRBOs.

Why? I've never had a negative experience with either AirBNB or VRBO and I usually save a ton of money. The last time I used VRBO I got a 1 BR apartment with porch in a highrise in Toronto overlooking the water in the most expensive part of the city (including indoor parking) for $165 a night. Similar hotel accommodations would have been over $300 easily. The last time I used AirBNB was in Moab, Utah last summer, again, I got an entire unit for far less money than a common hotel room. I'm a huge lover of home/apartment rentals.

ThinkSnow

Last time I skied Colorado, I rented a nice 2 bedroom VRBO condo in Silverthorne for a week. Cost broke down to about $60 per night each for 2 of us. Only 'issue' with the condo- it was at a pretty high altitude- unlike staying in Midvale or Sandy, where us Eastcoasters can reacclimate to a lower elevation every night.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why? I've never had a negative experience with either AirBNB or VRBO and I usually save a ton of money. The last time I used VRBO I got a 1 BR apartment with porch in a highrise in Toronto overlooking the water in the most expensive part of the city (including indoor parking) for $165 a night. Similar hotel accommodations would have been over $300 easily. The last time I used AirBNB was in Moab, Utah last summer, again, I got an entire unit for far less money than a common hotel room. I'm a huge lover of home/apartment rentals.

Just because as the poster said the selection in Sandy may not be as good as folks hope.

FWIW our experience has been more good than bad. Our last trip, to San Diego, however involved a crazy host who drove us nuts.