• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Meeting

Edd

I can't wait to check out Saddleback next year!

Yes, Saddleback is a must-hit next season. That’s ski money well spent.

I like Sugarloaf, but I’m done with lodging there. It’ll be nice to stay somewhere off-property and have Loaf and Saddleback to bounce between.

Smellytele

Already planning our guys weekend for next year. Friend of one of the guys has a place at the loaf he usually rents for 550 a night on line. Really nice sleeps 10. Getting it for <200 a night.
Will do 2 days there and 1 at saddleback.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zand

Never got to try it in its old incarnation so I'm excited to get another chance. Always heard great things. Will be great to pair with a Sugarloaf trip. Went snowmobiling in Rangeley 15 years ago, lovely town.

Cornhead

Never got to try it in its old incarnation so I'm excited to get another chance. Always heard great things. Will be great to pair with a Sugarloaf trip. Went snowmobiling in Rangeley 15 years ago, lovely town.
I was there twice, closed once, wind, lower mountain only the other. Stoked to ski it some day.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

skicub

What a saddleback like? Compared to sugarloaf? it seems to have a kind of similar layout/trail scheme? Or comparison to a different NE mountain? Can’t wait to get there next season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What a saddleback like? Compared to sugarloaf? it seems to have a kind of similar layout/trail scheme? Or comparison to a different NE mountain? Can’t wait to get there next season.

It's pretty unique. I'd say Burke is a decent comparison, only Saddleback is steeper and slightly larger. Also better snow as it's higher in elevation and further North, so you get fewer rain/thaw events.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

It's pretty unique. I'd say Burke is a decent comparison, only Saddleback is steeper and slightly larger. Also better snow as it's higher in elevation and further North, so you get fewer rain/thaw events.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
It's funny, I was actually thinking of starting a thread about which places are most alike others. Not sure if it would be of interest, but could be fun given how unique each area is.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

Uphillklimber did a good job of describing.

I will only add that if you love tree skiing, Saddleback is it for the east. I'd place it above Sugarloaf and on par with Jay. I skied there about 4-5 times over 3 yrs before they closed. Casablanca gets a lot of attention and is great but I also found that the non-casablanca glades are really great. Intimidator, Nightmare, Thrombosis, Dark wizard are all great tree skiing runs. The mountain has a nice consistent fall line and the spacing of the trees is good. I skied there on some trips where the conditions weren't that great but somehow we always found great stuff in the trees.

I think the combination of the laid back vibe that a lot have referenced with the large percentage of good tree skiing creates an experience that is unique in the east.

Once you've skied it, you'll understand. And as I've said before - getting rid of that awful slow double for a HSQ = that's going to take the mountain up another notch or two from where it was.

Edd

On this board, the expert terrain pod gets most of the attention but I love the way the primary trail pod skis. Decently long runs with variety. A HSQ on that pod is going to be sick.

Saddleback has the presence of a big eastern ski area. The overall width and look of it reminds me of Lincoln Peak at SB for some reason. Not the trails but the mountain itself.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Edd

Man, that’s the best ski area news I’ve heard in weeks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Man, that’s the best ski area news I’ve heard in weeks.

Sounds like they got a firm order in place and are far enough along that it will work. I give them credit for moving forward and showing folks that they are indeed serious. Their timing may work out well because, with everyone else cancelling, the manufacturers will have the resources and motivation to get this project done quickly and done right. SB may even save some coin.

EPB

Sounds like they got a firm order in place and are far enough along that it will work. I give them credit for moving forward and showing folks that they are indeed serious. Their timing may work out well because, with everyone else cancelling, the manufacturers will have the resources and motivation to get this project done quickly and done right. SB may even save some coin.
Agreed. This is a great example about how tough a business ski lift manufacturing is. I don't recall seeing announced lifts get cancelled like this before, but waiting to build a new lift is a no brainier if you need to save money fast.

Very glad to see they're going full steam ahead and hopefully everything is up and running for next winter.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

They have nothing to lose by removing it - it wouldn't operate even if the new lift doesn't make it in for next season.

machski

They have nothing to lose by removing it - it wouldn't operate even if the new lift doesn't make it in for next season.
^^^^^This

Also note that some lifts are not canceled, only delayed a year on install. Boyne's two lifts fall in this category. In Swift Current 6's situation, the lift is fully fabricated already in Austria and will ship to the US as planned. Boyne already owns that lift, they are delaying install due to uncertainty on construction schedules now for this year and a risk of having no lift in those alignments. This is unlike Vail that has outright canceled the lift orders.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app