Saddleback Meeting - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    After Saddleback was closed for a few years, they managed to sell the place to a clown from Australia. Anybody with an internet connection could see Majella had no money and no clue about ski areas - anybody except the Berrys and their advisors. Was anybody surprised when that deal failed?
    It is entirely possible that the Berrys knew this, but it was worth the long shot. If they weren't getting any other offers, I can hardly blame them.

Now we see another deal fall apart with competing claims of not holding to the deal. Are we really to believe that the Berrys are once again just innocents who are getting the shaft again?

The Berrys are lucky anybody is interested in taking on the Saddleback. It is a money pit now, and, thanks to the Berrys, needs millions of $$$ to reopen.
    Your last paragraph is some of the best evidence that the Berrys really are dealing with problem purchasers. I'm not saying that the Berrys have made all of the right decisions - but it is definitely possible that that the problem with the last two deals really was the buyers - and that the Berrys have to live with a crappy pool of potential buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Be careful, you are about to stir up a hornet's nest. It's not for lack of proposals.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Right. There was a private toll road proposal in NNE recently IIRC. That got shot down.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I don't believe the proposals I've seen would benefit Rangeley much. The most recent one I'm thinking of went from Calais to Coburn Gore.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

The only way the Berrys get rid of Saddleback is if they give it away with a $5 million sweetner and $5 million might not be enough. Despite the awesome terrrain, no ski area operator will buy the place. All you need to know is Alterra, Epic (Peak), and CNL/Boyne (Sunday River/Sugarloaf owner/operator) have passed. When well funded ski resort companies, who have access to capital and room for error pass on SB, we have proof that Saddleback is not capable of operating in the black.

The Berrys intent was noble, but their tactical and strategic deployment of their funds was poor. Now that SB has sat unused since 2015, there are a host of other issues with the operating lifts, snowmaking, and lodge. It is unfortunate for all involved and skiing public.
    At a town hall meeting, back when I worked there, Boyne did look at buying it. Their first concern was monopoly laws, they already own the two largest in Maine. I'm not saying there were other issues or not, just that was the first concern they related to us.
    lovin life,

Bob

I discussed SB with Boynes Director of marketing at an AZ summit a few years back and he had said their main concern was profitability. Same thing with all the other major players. SB probably needs several hundred more housing units to be able to make it like Sugarloaf as a resort type model in a remote area. You need that critical mass of season pass holders there every weekend.

Now operating bare bones with a limited schedule like Magic? That might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I don't believe the proposals I've seen would benefit Rangeley much. The most recent one I'm thinking of went from Calais to Coburn Gore.

Yeah, I saw a lot of lawn signs opposing it several years ago up in Abbott. I seem to recall it was primarily thought of to link Quebec to Northern Maine as a lot of trade occurs between the two. Seemed like most Northern Mainers liked their quiet, hard to get to/from lifestyle just as it was without an expressway through the woods.

Yes that's what I recall. Trying to better leverage Eastport, which is the deepest on the East Coast, but underutilized as there's no rail or good road infrastructure for trade.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Yeah, I saw a lot of lawn signs opposing it several years ago up in Abbott. I seem to recall it was primarily thought of to link Quebec to Northern Maine as a lot of trade occurs between the two. Seemed like most Northern Mainers liked their quiet, hard to get to/from lifestyle just as it was without an expressway through the woods.

Yeah, that would have been too far north out of the way to do much good for Western Maine skiing. I just get tired of running Rt 2 from Newport ME to Gorham NH...

Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    Yeah, that would have been too far north out of the way to do much good for Western Maine skiing. I just get tired of running Rt 2 from Newport ME to Gorham NH...
    I agree. Heck, I'd love to ski Sugarloaf more from our condo at SR, but it just takes too damn long (like1:45 each way in good weather). I love Bracket but it is just too hard to justify that drive after driving 3 hours to get to the condo. But with all the road mileage Maine already has to upkeep, I just don't see that corridor ever getting better unless the state population explodes.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    At a town hall meeting, back when I worked there, Boyne did look at buying it. Their first concern was monopoly laws, they already own the two largest in Maine. I'm not saying there were other issues or not, just that was the first concern they related to us.
    The 'monopoly' argument gives them a reasonable out without looking like all they care about is money - which is all they care about. A monopoly would be much more preferable than the current situation and I doubt there would be much opposition to a monopoly.

There is nothing wrong with making money and that explains why these other offers are not from the big ski groups or any ski groups who actually understand what it takes to operate a ski area with the hope of making some money.

If SB was a turnkey operation today and the Berrys sold SB for small money like $1 million, you might be able to make it work. The amount of money that is currently needed to get SB operating should make a buyer extremely wary and the rest of us extremely sad.

Thread Information