• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Meeting

EPB

It would be very difficult to open something like Mount Ellen on short notice. That's 6 lifties (3 each for GMX and Summit), 4 patrollers absolute minimum (more like 6), lift mechanic, lift supervisor, lodge staffing, etc. Not even Killington has that many people sitting around waiting for the call or floating staff to reshuffle.

If they decided to shutter Ellen midweek (they never will, not sure why there is even discussion), it is a decision that will likely stick. There is plenty of terrain to be had on a pow day at Lincoln.

It's a drawn out hypothetical at this point. Practically, I bet SB is now more likely to operate all week at ME because they probably feel compelled to put their best foot forward to compete within the Vail/Ikon superpass landscape. The reason it's come up is because I mentioned it as part of a long list of places with 1k+ vertical in the Northeast that likely lose money on their midweek operations and could potentially be closed a few days midweek to boost profit for SB overall. Initially, it was a fun hypothetical on my end, but I'm now exhausted by it and am pulling away from this one.

raisingarizona

It bothers me that eastern skiing in general is almost assigned second class status with these arrangements and the main focus is to drive eastern skiers out west. I don't see how any of this benefits eastern skiing in any appreciable way. That's regardless of anything we are discussing here.

Well it’s not like we are flying out east to spend lots of money on a week long ski vacation.

JimG.

Staff member
Well it’s not like we are flying out east to spend lots of money on a week long ski vacation.

That would be strange.

I have no issue with anyone who prefers skiing out west; but I would prefer to live there and not have to go thru the travel.

Maybe I should just be happy lots of folks go out west.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Edd

Nice news as always....again.

Surprised to read about plans for the base lodge. That’s the best base lodge in Maine.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jimmywilson69

What weird way this thing has progressed since Day 1. I hope it actually goes through and these folks have a good product.

Killingtime

If they do open I'll stop in and support them too.

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=796

Saddleback Sale Agreement Announced
The defunct Maine ski resort could reopen next year.
Friday, November 8, 2019, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
Saddleback Base Lodge, March 20, 2018

According to a press release posted on Saddleback's web site, Arctaris has reached an agreement to acquire the defunct Maine resort. An estimated completion date of the transaction has not been announced.

Based out of Boston, Arctaris Impact Fund was formed in 2018 to "invest in Low and Moderate Income communities throughout the U.S., addressing underserved and underbanked businesses that are poised for growth." The fund is a subsidiary of Arctaris, which was founded in 2009. According to the company's web site, Arctaris's co-founder is Jonathan D. Tower, who worked for Fidelity and IBM. Former Maine Winter Sports Center (Big Rock, Black Mountain, and Quoggy Jo) CEO Andy Shepard will serve as CEO of Saddleback.

Arctaris had entered into an agreement to purchase Saddleback in June with an estimated completion date in November, however talks broke down in September. At the time, Arctaris was planning to reopen the defunct ski area this winter. According to the Portland Press Herald, Arctaris is now aiming for a 2020-21 reopening.

According to the Portland Press Herald, planned 2020 improvements include a high speed quad replacing the main Rangeley double chairlift, as well as a new T-Bar. Base facility improvements are also planned.

Sandy Chairlift, July 2019
Sandy Chairlift, July 2019

Background
The Saddleback saga dates back to July 2015, when the Berry family, owners of the ski area since 2003, announced the Rangeley double chairlift was "at end of its useful life" and that operations would cease if the lift could not be replaced. The lift was not replaced and the ski area sat idle for the following two winters.

On June 28, 2017, the Berry family announced Saddleback was being sold to the Majella Group. At that time, Majella announced the sale would be completed later in the summer and the area would reopen with a new fixed grip quad chairlift and T-Bar. The deal was never completed, the lifts never installed, and the area never reopened. Majella CEO Sebastian Monsour was arrested for alleged investor fraud June 2018. Majella's Portland, Maine development company, 32 Thomas Street LLC, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in February 2019. Majella branding has been removed from the Saddleback web presence.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If they decided to shutter Ellen midweek (they never will, not sure why there is even discussion), it is a decision that will likely stick. There is plenty of terrain to be had on a pow day at Lincoln.

Yes, everyone should go ski LP on a powder day. Nothing to see at ME. ;)

Signed,

Former Sugarbush North Homer ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
What weird way this thing has progressed since Day 1. I hope it actually goes through and these folks have a good product.

Agreed.

I am not going to believe it until the closing is done. Hate to say it, but the family has really lost all credibility.

WinS

It would be very difficult to open something like Mount Ellen on short notice. That's 6 lifties (3 each for GMX and Summit), 4 patrollers absolute minimum (more like 6), lift mechanic, lift supervisor, lodge staffing, etc. Not even Killington has that many people sitting around waiting for the call or floating staff to reshuffle.

You don't run a business successful with that type of thinking. Not only to we want the both areas open but we also want to run Slide Brook every day if we can. Pinching pennies is not a long-term strategy. Creating value and getting paid for it is.

Likelihood of this deal closing is very high. Opening top to bottom next year is high. Ever turning a profit after expenses and debt service, imo low.

Newpylong

You don't run a business successful with that type of thinking. Not only to we want the both areas open but we also want to run Slide Brook every day if we can. Pinching pennies is not a long-term strategy. Creating value and getting paid for it is.

Exactly why I said the decision to do that would never occur!

EPB

Exactly why I said the decision to do that would never occur!
It's funny your quote was singled out considering I was the one who had the audacity to wonder aloud whether Wednesday operations at a slew of eastern ski areas is profitable.

This is basically the response I would expect - Sugarbush is a premium resort in the east and positioning itself as such is a sensible way to communicate with customers as it competes with the mega passes. Best of luck to them. North and South are both phenomenal.

More topical, this is good news for Saddleback and the region. Hopefully the deal reaches a final closing soon. Seems unlikely they'd alert the press unless it was very close to done. With this saga, I'll wait to believe anything until the final contacts are signed.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

p_levert

I'm not sure why they need to spend money on an HSQ when a fixed grip quad would do the job and be more wind resistant. I assume that cash will be an issue for the first few years, if not forever. Follow the Magic model!

mister moose

Follow the Magic model!
And not the Ascutney model.

Ascutney's problem was low natural snowfall and small size, but right next to an interstate. SB is the exact opposite, great snowfall and terrain, but in the state of Mainada. They need to be realistic about skier visits, and consequently debt and operating costs.