Saddleback Meeting - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    They are not going to do that.
    Do you mean close Wildcat midweek? Maybe I’m not understanding the previous post.

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I've heard they frequently come up with excuses to shut down Kirkwood midweek - a friend of mine based in SF is leery of going there midweek for that reason. I'm sure they advertise being open seven days a week though.

Granted, this is hearsay, but I could see them becoming even quicker to pull the trigger on Wildcat than even Peak was.
    While they may not run chair 4 on the backside as often as people like sometimes it has nothing to do with saving money if they decide to shut the mountain...its all weather. That's coming from someone that is extremely critical of vail as a company specifically in regards to Kirkwood.

I don't see them shutting any of their properties midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    While they may not run chair 4 on the backside as often as people like sometimes it has nothing to do with saving money if they decide to shut the mountain...its all weather. That's coming from someone that is extremely critical of vail as a company specifically in regards to Kirkwood.

I don't see them shutting any of their properties midweek.
    I trust you know better than me. My info is third hand.
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Correct.
    We'll see. There are probably a good dozen of places with 1k vert that works be better off not running 7 days a week (non-holiday). I can't imagine places like either of the Black mountains, Burke, Ragged, Bromley, MRG, Smuggs, Mt. Ellen, any Maine resort that doesn't have night skiing, and a few Québécoise places would hurt themselves by taking 1-3 midweek days off.

We'll see. There are probably a good dozen of places with 1k vert that works be better off not running 7 days a week (non-holiday). I can't imagine places like either of the Black mountains, Burke, Ragged, Bromley, MRG, Smuggs, Mt. Ellen, any Maine resort that doesn't have night skiing, and a few Québécoise places would hurt themselves by taking 1-3 midweek days off.
    No way. The Cat only closes for weather.
    Either 50+ crosswinds, torrential rain or the dreaded 2-3 day ice storm like last year.

Many of the smaller places have contracted weekly groups or schools on weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    No way. The Cat only closes for weather.
    Either 50+ crosswinds, torrential rain or the dreaded 2-3 day ice storm like last year.

Many of the smaller places have contracted weekly groups or schools on weekdays.
    I'm failing to see how this addresses what I said. Cut off is 1k vert. Which places probably should close at least a day midweek? Small hills are generally the last ones that would make sense for that very reason. Peak had a quicker trigger with Wildcat than the old owners by all accounts I've heard. I think this was smart. I'm going a step further by suggesting they'd probably come out ahead by saying they're no longer operating on Wednesdays period. As a suburbanite, this would have zero bearing on my decision to purchase a pass.

Black Mountain of Maine is closed M-Th except school holidays and Mount Abram in Maine is closed M-W.

Bigrock is closed Monday-Tuesdays unless holiday/vacation (US or Canada)

I disagree with MRG, Mt Ellen and Smuggs. All have a pretty good local following Midweek from the Burlington area as well as people in the MRV or Jeffersonville that work weekends supporting the resorts. Not saying they make a ton of money those days, but reducing their schedules would very much upset me if I were a local or second home owner in the area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information