Saddleback Meeting - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I disagree with MRG, Mt Ellen and Smuggs. All have a pretty good local following Midweek from the Burlington area as well as people in the MRV or Jeffersonville that work weekends supporting the resorts. Not saying they make a ton of money those days, but reducing their schedules would very much upset me if I were a local or second home owner in the area.
    I'd also think Smuggs would be hurt trying to attract the "family vacation for a week" crowd if they were closed mid-week. Personally if I was planning a trip to Smuggs, midweek is exactly when I'd want to be there.

Agree on MRG and Mt Ellen getting a lot of pushback too if they closed mid-week. Mt Ellen has to open at least partly anyway for GMVS (the fact that they were opening a lift early for GMVS midweek is why they ended up making Mt Ellen open early mid-week to the public at 8am too if locals want to grab a few runs before going to work).

I disagree with MRG, Mt Ellen and Smuggs. All have a pretty good local following Midweek from the Burlington area as well as people in the MRV or Jeffersonville that work weekends supporting the resorts. Not saying they make a ton of money those days, but reducing their schedules would very much upset me if I were a local or second home owner in the area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I'd say Smuggs was the biggest stretch of the lot because they are touted as being a great place for families to stay. That means they probably keep their bed base at reasonably high occupancy.

If the MRG cooperative said they needed to cut Wednesdays, I can't imagine masses complaining. They have as much cred as anyone I can think of (of size) in that region given their ownership situation.

Mt. Ellen is the easiest - deem that your ME pass works on midweek closure days at Lincoln.

I'm general, being closed on a midweek powder day could pull demand the following day from other resorts. If you're MRG and you close Wednesdays, a Tuesday night/Wednesday storm means you are THE place to hit that Thursday.

Re: second homeowners. Unless your job situation is different from mine, you're probably not skiing many Wednesdays anyway. If your job is like mine (normal hours), you'd just work around it (take Thursday though Sunday off or buy a Wednesday ticket in advance elsewhere). I've never been a local, so I can't comment as readily. That said, I'd be hard pressed to believe enough local Burlington/MRV skiers would switch allegiances to move the needle.
    Ski season is always too short

Smuggs would need to partner with another area to offer Wednesday skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    No way. The Cat only closes for weather.
    Hope that continues. Skiing there midweek is blissful.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    We'll see. There are probably a good dozen of places with 1k vert that works be better off not running 7 days a week (non-holiday). I can't imagine places like either of the Black mountains, Burke, Ragged, Bromley, MRG, Smuggs, Mt. Ellen, any Maine resort that doesn't have night skiing, and a few Québécoise places would hurt themselves by taking 1-3 midweek days off.
    You are totally contradicting yourself. You say 1K vert would be the cutoff but then throw in Black NH (is greater than 1K vert), and obviously Ragged/Burke/Ellen/MRG/Smuggs are ll greater than 1K vert. There would be a lot of pissed off passholders at all these areas if they cut out 1-3 days a week.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I'd say Smuggs was the biggest stretch of the lot because they are touted as being a great place for families to stay. That means they probably keep their bed base at reasonably high occupancy.

If the MRG cooperative said they needed to cut Wednesdays, I can't imagine masses complaining. They have as much cred as anyone I can think of (of size) in that region given their ownership situation.

Mt. Ellen is the easiest - deem that your ME pass works on midweek closure days at Lincoln.

I'm general, being closed on a midweek powder day could pull demand the following day from other resorts. If you're MRG and you close Wednesdays, a Tuesday night/Wednesday storm means you are THE place to hit that Thursday.

Re: second homeowners. Unless your job situation is different from mine, you're probably not skiing many Wednesdays anyway. If your job is like mine (normal hours), you'd just work around it (take Thursday though Sunday off or buy a Wednesday ticket in advance elsewhere). I've never been a local, so I can't comment as readily. That said, I'd be hard pressed to believe enough local Burlington/MRV skiers would switch allegiances to move the needle.
    I was a local UVM student who has Bush pass one year and a Stowe resident for six years. I also used to get the Smuggs bash badge for cheap midweek tickets. I can tell you tons of local college students try and set up their winter class schedule to be either Tues/TH or M,W,F to open up midweek skiing opportunities. As a resort worker living in Stowe, I only skied midweek. When I skied all those areas midweek back then, they had reasonably sustainable midweek traffic.

I just think it's penny wise and pound foolish to close any of those three some midweek days outside of very early season or mid-March on. With Epic being so cheap, all three run the risk of people switching to Stowe.

Plus Sugarbush and Smuggs aren't just locals hills, they are major resorts that do a ton of business. Their reputations would both take a huge hit. MRG might make a little more sense, but they have some of the lowest operating costs in the East. If they're not spending hardly any money on snowmaking or grooming, I don't think running three lifts and offering minimal F&B is gonna kill them. No way I see the coop going for that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bolton Valley is a candidate for mid-week closure.

Burke should close mid-week (e.g. Tuesday and Wednesday) but the hotel has painted them into a corner.

I just think it's penny wise and pound foolish to close any of those three some midweek days outside of very early season or mid-March on. With Epic being so cheap, all three run the risk of people switching to Stowe.

Plus Sugarbush and Smuggs aren't just locals hills, they are major resorts that do a ton of business. Their reputations would both take a huge hit. MRG might make a little more sense, but they have some of the lowest operating costs in the East. If they're not spending hardly any money on snowmaking or grooming, I don't think running three lifts and offering minimal F&B is gonna kill them. No way I see the coop going for that.
    The college angle is interesting. Stowe's college pass is very expensive relatively speaking, so I don't see that as a viable substitution unless the pass money is no bother to one and their college friends anyway.

Taking Wednesdays away from college kids could move the needle and make the math work out more in favor of opening 7 days at MRG and Smuggs - fair point (however, emphasis on the conditional tense).

ME is a different ballgame. SB could easily send that traffic to Lincoln on any of the midweek days I've been there. Not opening the lodge and running just enough to keep the racers on the hill would definitely save $$$. If your downside is that you MUST ski Lincoln on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, color me unsympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Bolton Valley is a candidate for mid-week closure.

Burke should close mid-week (e.g. Tuesday and Wednesday) but the hotel has painted them into a corner.
    Except Burke can open the whole mountain with only 2 major lifts. Limit the F&B and how bad can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    Except Burke can open the whole mountain with only 2 major lifts. Limit the F&B and how bad can it be?
    They are still losing money on those days.

Thread Information