Saddleback Meeting - Page 28

AlpineZone

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    The number of HSQs I believe is what's being questioned. The summit quad is fixed grip

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Pretty sure only one HSQ. 2 quads, though.
    Sorry, you're right. Kennebago is a FG. It wasn't really my point anyway & I wasn't really thinking about Kennebago quad. Kennebago was never an issue for Saddleback. Removing the chokepoint of the Rangeley double will really change that mountain and allow you get a lot of skiing in. My point is still valid even if I mistakenly lumped the Kennebago quad in as a "HSQ". It's a newer and relatively fast chair.

Skiing Saddleback on weekends, even with the low # of skier visits, the Rangeley double was a bitch. With a liftline it wasn't unusual for you to get just 1 run/hr off of that lift.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    This maybe an unpopular opinion, but I also feel they should push hard to get on the Icon Pass.
    It's not a bad idea for them

However I *will* be purchasing an Indy Pass next year and Saddleback would the the cherry on top, and I'd be willing to pay more. I will likely *never* buy an Ikon pass or any pass that demotivates me to ski independent and low-crowd ski areas.

May my virtual vote be recorded by the new management... I want Saddleback to be a place I visit each year but for me that means getting on one or more of the popular combo & discount cards and/or Indy Pass which needs to get our support as well.

or deals like I had in 2014 with $79/night luxury slope side condos and tickets included at that rate
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Well, this is an interesting article. Tries to make the Berry's sound like the good guys. They may have held off of selling to buyers who may have pieced out the resort, but try telling that to the business owners in Rangley who have held on by threads the last several years.

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/sad...ity-came-first

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Well, this is an interesting article. Tries to make the Berry's sound like the good guys. They may have held off of selling to buyers who may have pieced out the resort, but try telling that to the business owners in Rangley who have held on by threads the last several years.

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/sad...ity-came-first

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I agree, it would be hard to tell business owners there about the desires to keep the ski resort as a ski resort. But at any given time, anyone could have attempted to buy the ski area and run it themselves and show how good all their business acumen was.

I'll give the Berry's the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    lovin life,

Bob

^
    Good on them getting a chance to defend themselves and put forward a positive case on their behalf, including the historical perspective.

20/20 hindsight they made the right call with Arctaris and the mountain now has an apparently secure future. IMO if the locals want to blame someone for a few years of hurt income they should point fingers at Magella Group for essentially making a fraudulent offer and wasting a lot of time.

We all thought this would "happen quicker" but NELSAP was also a possibility.
    2019/2020 season

Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

In the article the Berry family says they felt they needed another 10-15k skier visits annually to break even or at least be sustainable. With the excitement of new owners and the new detachable quad I think they have a real good shot at getting those additional visits in year two of being reopened.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

idk maybe, depends how they market it. Keep in mind that closing for several years will see a loss in visits due to people changing their habits as necessary. How many of their "regulars" found a new home mountain in that time span? We'll see.

As someone who works in marketing/online advertising, they need to kick ass right out the gate with a strong campaign and a website that makes it look super appealing to various types of skiers. It would not be difficult to set Saddleback apart and convince people to go there with next-level web presence and cross-marketing. Unfortunately there are a lot of hacks in this business and even many of the major resorts get suckered by marketing hackery.

They will need it. If I wasn't booked out for the next year+ I'd have already made a call to Arctaris. Or maybe not, high maintenance accounts don't really help my bottom line.

This alone may not even be enough and IKON pass might be good business sense
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Feb 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM.
    2019/2020 season

Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Based on the reaction of all my Maine friends, I think that Saddleback will see a huge uptick in visits. There are a ton of people that really miss Saddleback and are basically sick of Boynes legacy at the loaf and sunday river. If they play it right and don't cost themselves out, they could find themselves as the place the Mainers go. I would market that.

i lived in a piece of shit random craigslist roommate apartment on metropolitan avenue at berry street in brooklyn. when i went to view the apartment for the first time, i noticed tons of grateful dead, disco biscuits, and saddleback stickers on one of the bedroom doors. i asked 'whose bedroom is this, whose stickers are these?' and the roommates all shrugged and said the stickers were there before any of them lived there. i took it as a sign and took the shithole apt. it also helped that i got to pay $850 a month in williamsburg for a year.

Thread Information