Saddleback Meeting - Page 13

AlpineZone

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    It would be very difficult to open something like Mount Ellen on short notice. That's 6 lifties (3 each for GMX and Summit), 4 patrollers absolute minimum (more like 6), lift mechanic, lift supervisor, lodge staffing, etc. Not even Killington has that many people sitting around waiting for the call or floating staff to reshuffle.

If they decided to shutter Ellen midweek (they never will, not sure why there is even discussion), it is a decision that will likely stick. There is plenty of terrain to be had on a pow day at Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    It would be very difficult to open something like Mount Ellen on short notice. That's 6 lifties (3 each for GMX and Summit), 4 patrollers absolute minimum (more like 6), lift mechanic, lift supervisor, lodge staffing, etc. Not even Killington has that many people sitting around waiting for the call or floating staff to reshuffle.

If they decided to shutter Ellen midweek (they never will, not sure why there is even discussion), it is a decision that will likely stick. There is plenty of terrain to be had on a pow day at Lincoln.
    It's a drawn out hypothetical at this point. Practically, I bet SB is now more likely to operate all week at ME because they probably feel compelled to put their best foot forward to compete within the Vail/Ikon superpass landscape. The reason it's come up is because I mentioned it as part of a long list of places with 1k+ vertical in the Northeast that likely lose money on their midweek operations and could potentially be closed a few days midweek to boost profit for SB overall. Initially, it was a fun hypothetical on my end, but I'm now exhausted by it and am pulling away from this one.
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    It bothers me that eastern skiing in general is almost assigned second class status with these arrangements and the main focus is to drive eastern skiers out west. I don't see how any of this benefits eastern skiing in any appreciable way. That's regardless of anything we are discussing here.

Well its not like we are flying out east to spend lots of money on a week long ski vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Well its not like we are flying out east to spend lots of money on a week long ski vacation.
    That would be strange.

I have no issue with anyone who prefers skiing out west; but I would prefer to live there and not have to go thru the travel.

Maybe I should just be happy lots of folks go out west.

Thread Information