Saddleback Meeting - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 166
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    "Sugarbush has 111 trails and 2600' of vertical including the highest chairlift in Vermont*" (*Except Tuesdays and Wednesdays when we close over 1/3 of our terrain, have 200' less vertical, and don't operate the highest chairlift in Vermont). Sounds like a great marketing strategy!

    Also forgot that Vermont Adaptive calls Mt Ellen home and is their northern Vermont base of operations. That's another factor limiting your ability to close ME midweek.
    You should have led with the last point - it's a legitimate operational concern. "Come stay on site and walk to the only slopes you're likely to ski anyway!" Would do the trick just fine.
    Ski season is always too short

  2. #102
    if secular growth - the number of new skiers/riders that exceed the number of people who don't ski anymore - is the problem (isn't the industry numbers flat for the last 10-15 years?) , growing the nunbers starts at feeder hills.

    unlike the 50's, 60's, 70's pre NELSAP, we have liability - greatest existential threat, evironmental (human nature suggests we always go too far with the pendulum swing), and competition from other sports that were not available in large quanities back then, feeder hills have got to be ramped up.
    Only way that seems feasible are larger hills partnering with the local hills.

    I'm not a government grant advocate but maybe a local or regional relief for those places that offer after school programs and access to experiencing the great sport. Fun in the cold. Its social, its exercise, it's a reason to get off the couch , off video, and to a couple generations in the NE it would be novel. Most here know it doesn't have to be expensive. Tickets can be the most expensive part of the sport - and they've come down under pressure.

    Just typing out loud - its a short season - but its a sport that has so much potential. hiked the northeast since I was a 9 year old - all those trailheads are far busier than at anytime in the past - sure its cheaper - but its outdoors - should be growth in newbies each year.

    Organized team sports are having same competition issues with video, soccer, lacrosse, but individual sports ( ike this one) are growing, so why not?

    Just to throw a wrench in the above discussion - there are far fewer M-F 8-5 jobs than there were 20 years ago - flex schedules mean working from the lifts, lodges, and ski houses, with some turns 9-1 or 1-4. Everyone has WIFI.

    And once they can develop solar to power generators to make snow. . . . . . . . .

    3-6" predicted for Mt Washington Friday. . . . developing. . . . .

  3. #103
    Good grief what's wrong with you people?

    Yeah let's promote/advocate/discuss all the best low key NE mountains closing midweek, when all the retirees, powder chasers, irregular work-shedule folk and crowd-haters enjoy their sport. Thank God for you retirees keeping the pressure on.

    I thought we were talking about trying to OPEN a mountain here!

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Good grief what's wrong with you people?

    Yeah let's promote/advocate/discuss all the best low key NE mountains closing midweek, when all the retirees, powder chasers, irregular work-shedule folk and crowd-haters enjoy their sport. Thank God for you retirees keeping the pressure on.

    I thought we were talking about trying to OPEN a mountain here!
    You people! You act as though I'm a snowboarder worth discriminating against in the MRV!

    The crux of the matter is understanding if any money is lost on certain days of the week (and where).

    I cheer on prudent financial decision-making at every turn and think it wouldn't hurt to get more creative being midweek costs down industry-wide. I like my favorite businesses to be in as strong of financial shape as possible. You, on the other hand, cheer "keeping the pressure on" so you have the option to go ski somewhere on a day the business will probably lose money. If that makes me the one with something wrong, so be it.
    Ski season is always too short

  5. #105
    Back to the topic, I hope SB finds an owner. It's a real gem. Limited snowmaking and schedule would be prudent.
    Ski season is always too short

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    You people! You act as though I'm a snowboarder worth discriminating against in the MRV!

    The crux of the matter is understanding if any money is lost on certain days of the week (and where).

    I cheer on prudent financial decision-making at every turn and think it wouldn't hurt to get more creative being midweek costs down industry-wide. I like my favorite businesses to be in as strong of financial shape as possible. You, on the other hand, cheer "keeping the pressure on" so you have the option to go ski somewhere on a day the business will probably lose money. If that makes me the one with something wrong, so be it.
    OK so it's just you cheering on ski area closings then, in some sort of ironic misplaced sense of responsibility for the financial wellbeing of smaller players in the ski industry? Nevermind.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    OK so it's just you cheering on ski area closings then, in some sort of ironic misplaced sense of responsibility for the financial wellbeing of smaller players in the ski industry? Nevermind.
    No - you've utterly missed the point. I don't know how you picked any of that up from anything that I said here. If it makes you feel better to twist yourself into a metal pretzel over my alleged irony and feeling of responsibility (to think I fno responsibility for any ski area is hilarious, but I'm not stupid enough to think I can interact with a business that losses money on serving me empty terrain on Wednesdays), be my guest.
    Ski season is always too short

  8. #108
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,289
    Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    No - you've utterly missed the point. I don't know how you picked any of that up from anything that I said here. If it makes you feel better to twist yourself into a metal pretzel over my alleged irony and feeling of responsibility (to think I fno responsibility for any ski area is hilarious, but I'm not stupid enough to think I can interact with a business that losses money on serving me empty terrain on Wednesdays), be my guest.
    Perspective is the issue here.

    esb is clearly a mostly weekend skier; midweek closings have no impact (or little impact) on him.

    tuna often keeps a weekday ski schedule and would sorely miss weekday access.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Perspective is the issue here.



    esb is clearly a mostly weekend skier; midweek closings have no impact (or little impact) on him.

    tuna often keeps a weekday ski schedule and would sorely miss weekday access.
    I get the emotional reaction, I really do. I'm just saying IF we assume 1-4 midweek days are losers (depending upon the area, of course), it should set off alarm bells on our head that 7 day operations isnt a good long term strategy. This should not be controversial and one shouldn't need to ascribe any ulterior motives to my thinking on it.
    Ski season is always too short

  10. #110
    It's just backwards logic to say the way to keep ski resorts sustainable in the long term is to start closing them down half the days even when snow is good and the seasonal workers are already lodging there.

    Suggesting Bolton Valley should close weekdays, for example, seems like a total surrender move. We're talking about the snow globe of the Northeast right there -- Top 5 highest snow amounts on most years. Small staff, a few slow lifts, minimal snowmaking...

    EPB -- the fact you begrudgingly mentioned Mad River Glen and your inability to ski it makes me wonder if you can really claim no ulterior motives. Seems to me the places you don't like to ski should just be closed when you don't want to ski them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:12 PM.