Saddleback Meeting - Page 17

AlpineZone

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    I was comparing Ascutney to SB. That's 80 inches at Ascutney (and a lot more rain events) vs 175" at SB. If you want to get technical, Mt Baker comes in 1st at 655", little Tug Hill even gets more at 200", and there is no such state as Mainada.
    Mainada, this is the part of Maine referred to as occupied Canada, so yes, it does exist!

Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    You don't run a business successful with that type of thinking. Not only to we want the both areas open but we also want to run Slide Brook every day if we can. Pinching pennies is not a long-term strategy. Creating value and getting paid for it is.
    Best wishes in your new business model with Alterra and Sugarbush. Thanks for all you did over the years to make Sugarbush great again!

They have my total support!

Interesting about the "opportunity zones". Maybe rural areas should qualify as well as mismanaged urban areas?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    Mainada, this is the part of Maine referred to as occupied Canada, so yes, it does exist!
    Haven't heard that term in 20+ years...
    But, YES Mainada is indeed real. Our neighbor was born and raised 30 miles north of Rangely.
    Most speak French in them parts....
    World's Best Poutine is from the Bistro !!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    Haven't heard that term in 20+ years...
    But, YES Mainada is indeed real. Our neighbor was born and raised 30 miles north of Rangely.
    Most speak French in them parts....
    World's Best Poutine is from the Bistro !!
    I've been to Ft Kent, St Andrews, Eastport, to name a few blended towns. I've also been to Machias Seal Island, the last disputed territory between the US and Canada. That would be the real Mainada.

Very interesting history. A larger than life Mainer by the name of Barna Beale ran off the British in the war of 1812, and from then on it was the US. In the later 1800s Canada asked to put a light house there, (for shipping routes up to New Brunswick) and the US said sure. So the Canadians have had a lighthouse keeper in residence there since it was built. Still does. None of this mattered much until 12 mile territorial fishing rights were established. Canada said it's ours, we have had possession for over a hundred years. The US said no way, we just let you use it.

And so every day a descendant of Barna Beale goes out to the island with the biggest flag you ever saw on a 40 foot fishing boat. And in an age of solar cells and automated lights, Canada keeps the light manned.
    Last edited by mister moose; Nov 15, 2019 at 7:24 PM.

Thread Information