• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Creek observations and questions

drjeff

I can highly recommend Magic Devo program for 5-8 year olds. Good group of people. Kids and families down to earth. Daughter loved it. we are signed up again this year. I don't know about further up racing or freestyle programs yet. I 'think' the race coaches get poached by OMS/KMS/SMS as I would imagine its better $ and more resources for them.

Over the last 6 or 7 years that my racer kids have been a part of the Southern Vermont Council, of which Magic and it's junior racers are a part of as well, when they've had a coach leave, more often than not it seems like it's because that coaches's own child has had a ton of talent, and the coach realizes that often the sheer size of some of the other programs will likely provide their own child added advantages and potential opportunities to advance their racing careers (and potential scholarship opportunities ) even further.

Given the advances in Magic's snowmaking abilities, one of the reasons (season length) that did play a role in some of the coaches leaving, likely isn't as much of a factor at is was just a few years ago.

At least for the last 6 or 7 years that I have been actively involved with the junior racing scene in Southern VT, Magic has consistently developed and produced a number of quality young racers, and not just racers from the same couple of families (although there are 2 family names that immediately jump to mind with Magic ties and a number of quality racers over the last few years as well)

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Cabriolet is my least fav non surface lift anywhere - take off skis after every small run, stand in a crowd the whole ride up, still getting cold unlike a real gondola. I think I might even prefer a T bar.
South Mtn was cool then became a giant terrain park
Pipeline was a decent run on Granite peak, then they shut it down
So probs with all 3 peaks, overcrowded, no terrain that is even interesting

A decade ago I lived only 45 min away and at that time I went a handful of times when my schedule was too tight to go anywhere further, but after a few times I switched my "just time for a few hour outing" to Hidden Valley about 1/4 mile away - which was smaller but at least a chilling vibe and uncrowded. Hidden Valley has now become a Snow SPorts educational facility and is no longer open to the public.

I would not just say I prefer Catskills resorts to MC, I also prefer Elk, Montage, Camelback, Jack Frost, Shawnee and Blue.

On the other hand, it is the best ski area currently open to the public in NJ, and will probably stay that way even after American Dreams opens (which may make a dent in Mountain Creek crowds by providing an alternative for beginners looking for the closest skiing to NYC.

John9

I have great memories of it when it was Vernon Valley, Friday night high school ski club. Bombing an icy Zero G, trail 13, was the proving ground.

The stand up, skis off lift, ended my interest in Mountain Creek. Camelback is only 45 minutes away, and I enjoy it for day trips.

raisingarizona

I have great memories of it when it was Vernon Valley, Friday night high school ski club. Bombing an icy Zero G, trail 13, was the proving ground.

The stand up, skis off lift, ended my interest in Mountain Creek. Camelback is only 45 minutes away, and I enjoy it for day trips.

I had fun there as a kid in the late 80’s but I didn’t know any better. I remember cigarette and alcohol adds on every lift tower and plenty of trash below. They don’t call it “dirty jersey” for nuthin.

The place seems planned a lot like the old water park, extremely poorly and a total shit show, it feels like a mess.

nycskier

I skied Mountain Creek a lot the last few years with my young kids. It's close enough to NYC for an easy day trip. Kids under 7 ski free and you can get a 3 pack of lift tickets for about $80. The Bear Peak is a lot of fun. It skies really well. Vernon is a bit of a pain with having to take your skis off for the Cabriolet. Usually we start at Vernon, make our way over the Bear and then ski there for most of the day. The kids have a blast doing the ski trek over there.

The crowds there on weekends can suck but if you get to do it on a weekday it is amazing. My son's school had a random midweek teacher's conference off day last year and we went and had the place relatively to ourself.

One of the downsides to MC is the elevation which is significantly lower than the nearby Poconos. It effects snow quality and the length of the season at MC. A lot of times MC will be bare while nearby Poconos has lots of snow.

My 7 year old (who has been skiing MC since he was 4 years old) and I had a ton of fun bombing groomers and doing baby jumps there. It's definitely a cheap and fun place to go with kids if you DONT have to rent skis there.

ScottySkis

Bump sad news

Crazy fire

ne_skier

Just saw that on nj.com, Action Park back at it again.
Cabriolet is my least fav non surface lift anywhere - take off skis after every small run, stand in a crowd the whole ride up, still getting cold unlike a real gondola. I think I might even prefer a T bar.
The Cabriolet sucks, but it's a dream lift for money reasons. They're able to bring up an insane number of people with that thing. If they were going for skier comfort they would've likely installed a six-pack, but instead they chose a lift usually installed in villages and parking lots. Its Achilles heel is the wind, the cabins are very light compared to gondola cabins and catch the wind much more than chairs. It looks to me like they're cutting holes in the cabins (As already seen on some) to minimize this issue.

Granite Peak had massive plans, but they never came to fruition and it's been in decline since Intrawest bought VV/GG in 1998. At one point, Granite had 3 trails which are now abandoned, the Pipeline, Granite View, and Devil’s Way runs. Pipeline was abandoned in 2017, Granite View in 2007, and Devil’s Way in 1999. There was also a second out of base lift, the Rim Run Double which went to about the intersection of Pipeline and Granite View, servicing the lower part of Granite View. It was removed in 1982, perhaps due to a lack of use, and relocated to the summit as the Great Gorge Connection lift. The biggest thing I found was the master plan which they had in store. They had cut a lower part of Pipeline down to the Season’s Development (Now the Minerals Resort) and the plan was to install a Leitner gondola from there to Granite, they apparently got so far as to put a cabin on display. The plan was later scrapped.
1623948577449.png
1623948495818.png

ERJ-145CA

I ski Mountain Creek a lot. I can't complain about having a 1000', 46 trail ski area 10 minutes from my house. The season pass is dirt cheap if you buy it in February for the next season and on weekdays it is great. My biggest complaint about the weekdays is that South and Bear peaks, where the high speed quads are don't open until noon weekdays and since I usually ski a half day starting when they open on weekdays I only get to ski South and Bear early on weekend mornings. At least with my job I have a lot of weekdays off. If you're a local like me the mountain opens an hour early for passholders on weekends so I'll start skiing at 8 and I'll be done around 11 when it gets busy. They do also try to get as long a season as they can, obviously it all depends on the snowmaking temps. Two seasons ago they got the beginner trail open mid-November due to a November cold snap and the previous season they stayed open through the second weekend in April since March and early April were unusually cool.