Mountain Creek observations and questions - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've had fun at Mountain Creek after a storm when they let some of the trails bump up. Crowds are definitely an issue on mid-winter weekends, but no worse than the Poconos or Hunter. I think Blue and Camelback ski bigger. The most similar place I've been is Wachusetts. I go the extra distance to the Poconos because it's the closest place to NYC with consistent bump skiing. I'm not sure it would be worth the extra drive time if I were just interested in skiing groomers or hanging out in parks. If the chance to ski between trees mattered to me, I'd probably head to the Catskills.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    If you only have 1 day and it’s a Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and it's an average or a solid snow year, Plattekill is where you need to go.

I can only go on photo evidence, but I've seen many trip reports on here from Bellyare over the years showing great spring bumps on numerous runs. That would be reason for me to visit.

The reality is that it's unlikely I ever ski down there. My 2-3 visits to Mahwah a year are always between April and November. It would be cool to experience the Catskills, but they are 5 hours away; same distance as the Adirondacks. Id rather hit Gore and Whiteface

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I can only go on photo evidence, but I've seen many trip reports on here from Bellyare over the years showing great spring bumps on numerous runs. That would be reason for me to visit.

The reality is that it's unlikely I ever ski down there. My 2-3 visits to Mahwah a year are always between April and November. It would be cool to experience the Catskills, but they are 5 hours away; same distance as the Adirondacks. Id rather hit Gore and Whiteface

Catskills about 2 hours from that part of NJ

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Mountain Creek is 45 minutes from me. The Cats are 2 hours. So for me the choice is easy. I would much rather drive an extra hour or so and ski vastly superior terrain (and conditions) in the Catskills. The season at MC is also shorter than the Cats. They get less snow than the Cats. The terrain is less interesting than the Cats (Cats have a decent variety of groomed, moguls, natural trails, and even glades while MC is mostly just groomers).

To me any negativity towards MC is justified based on my personal experience. Now I can't compare it to the MA feeder hills you mentioned. So I can't say whether or not it is better than any of them. But to me the Cats are close enough to day trip to over MC any day.
    Where do you go in the Cats?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    Catskills about 2 hours from that part of NJ
    They are, but I as mentioned, I pretty much only travel down that way when it's not ski season

+1 Grew up in NJ and never skied Vernon Valley-Great Gorge (Mountain Creek) — I’ve always assumed it’s only the starter jacket and jeans crowd (which is only a percentage of the crowds at Hunter)

I know I'm an hour closer than you are to NY, but after one of those Catskill Special type storms where they get 3+ feet, the ADKs are too far north to get much, and Eastern NE is rain, take a ride to Plattekill. One of the most fun places I've ever skied in the east.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19

2019-20 days - 1
    Wachusett: 11/15

Maybe. Google maps says 4:47 door to door for me. That's under the best of driving conditions, which given the traffic hell hole Mass has become over the past ten years means basically never. It would likely be closer to six hours. If I'm spending that much time in the car, it would have to be for at least three days of skiing.

My tolerance for long drives to go skiing is low. I apend 800 miles a week on the road for work on average. Adding another 600 for a weekend skiing isn't appealing.

Adding another 600 for a weekend skiing isn't appealing.
    Dunno if it changes anything, but you'll get more vertical in one day than you would in several days at most resorts. There are powder Saturdays at Platty when I cant make it the full day and retire by 2:30pm. Ski-on always. That's saying something. Obviously you cant do this regularly, but if there's a Presidents Day Weekend or MLK you were going to skip with great conditions, you'd have a blast at Plattekill.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information