Loon Getting RFID Gates - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the places that use RFID gates have a more difficult time sending the chairs up full. I frequently see people stuck at the gate or have had it happen to myself.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app


  2. #12
    Hope they can accommodate kids, lifting my daughter up to open the gate every run on superstar got old fast.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Hope they can accommodate kids, lifting my daughter up to open the gate every run on superstar got old fast.
    I think the ones the Boyne is looking at are long range RFID, so I am not sure if that will be an issue.

  4. #14
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    I think the ones the Boyne is looking at are long range RFID, so I am not sure if that will be an issue.
    True, they supposedly have a better catch range with these. It also sounds like from an article Big Sky published on the gates, they will only be deployed at select lifts that are resort gateways. My guess with Loon is that they will only be at Gondola, Seven Bros, Kanc and Lincoln. Upper lifts won't get them nor will kissing cousin or little sister as they do not access any of the higher terrain. Easy launch for Boyne in the East. I would guess Sugarloaf next as it is the next easiest (Whiffletree, Double Runner, Superquad and West Mountain). SR is the most difficult with the two lower White Caps, Locke Triple, the Racing T-Bar, Barker, South Ridge, Chondi, North Peak and the Jordan express and Double all being access lifts.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Hope they can accommodate kids, lifting my daughter up to open the gate every run on superstar got old fast.
    Awesome that you have a kid that small skiing Superstar. I’ve seen kids with their card taped to their helmet, have you tried that?

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Do you think that skiers benefit from RFID usage?
    I am 100% certain ski resorts say skiers benefit from RFID usage.

    In practice, I am extremely skeptical.

    It seems to me that ironically RFID works best when there's a line-jockey ushering people in place, which is no different than olden times. In terms of the "benefit" of buying your lift ticket online, I think that's a pretty meager "benefit", and I speculate that the folks who are ecstatic about this are the same people who buy the new Iphone each-and-every September.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the places that use RFID gates have a more difficult time sending the chairs up full. I frequently see people stuck at the gate or have had it happen to myself.
    It's definitely not just you, and it's not solely from gate problems. When there's no attendant at RFID people go guerrilla tactics and ensure that their 2 or 3 person group goes up on the quad. Repeat this hundreds of times per day, and it must have an impact.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I am 100% certain ski resorts say skiers benefit from RFID usage.

    In practice, I am extremely skeptical.

    It seems to me that ironically RFID works best when there's a line-jockey ushering people in place, which is no different than olden times. In terms of the "benefit" of buying your lift ticket online, I think that's a pretty meager "benefit", and I speculate that the folks who are ecstatic about this are the same people who buy the new Iphone each-and-every September.
    To each is own, but I don't want to go back to the days of waiting over an hour in a lift ticket line every morning?

  9. #19
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,664
    Most places I've been with RFID at the busier lifts, they still have an attendant grouping people together and line control. Whatnot does is free up those employees from looking at passes. There is usually a second employee with an iPad or similar checking scans and assisting with issues at the gates. Seems to me that is the same amount of employees for the old fashioned ticket checking duties/line control.

    It's a big advantage for the multi resort passes that have RFID tech embedded. Obviously a mountain on the pass needs to have compatible back office tech to mesh with the pass (IE Ikon) to give the multi pass direct to lift access. It is a royal pain at resorts that do not have that (Ex, Loon, SR, SL last season on Ikon). Ticket window lines to use your Ikon at SR were 45 minutes most weekends. Just nuts, when half or more of the customers could have been direct to lift with decent tech.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  10. #20
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    6,935
    It would be great if all areas had the same rfid card. Then you could just put a day ticket on it from any mountain. One card to rule them all!
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:33 PM.