• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Getting RFID Gates

thebigo

It will be Seven Brothers Express Quad. They were setting up cam on Friday to stream install.

KustyTheKlown

had a really nice morning at loon yesterday. i really like their layout when its not crowded. the north peak chair serves up 1650 of fast vertical, and the gondola 1850. i put down 25k vert yesterday from 8:45-12. about an inch of snow on the top 700 vert. a few ungroomed routes that softened up real nice including some perfectly seeded moguls just above the gondola which were so fun to hit at the end of every run.

after the past few weeks of skiing a bunch of sunday river, loon, and sugarloaf, i am in a bit of a love affair with boyne. they are quality operators. their resorts are all in good shape. the lifts tend to be fast and in good repair. the staff are friendly. buy jay.

machski

had a really nice morning at loon yesterday. i really like their layout when its not crowded. the north peak chair serves up 1650 of fast vertical, and the gondola 1850. i put down 25k vert yesterday from 8:45-12. about an inch of snow on the top 700 vert. a few ungroomed routes that softened up real nice including some perfectly seeded moguls just above the gondola which were so fun to hit at the end of every run.

after the past few weeks of skiing a bunch of sunday river, loon, and sugarloaf, i am in a bit of a love affair with boyne. they are quality operators. their resorts are all in good shape. the lifts tend to be fast and in good repair. the staff are friendly. buy jay.
If Boyne bought Jay, it would put them in another league in the Northeast IMHO.

thebigo

Was there same time frame yesterday, would have grabbed a quick beer if I knew you were there. Skied loon around 15 days this year, north skied as good yesterday as it has all year. In 40 years of skiing, not sure I remember better conditions on a closing day.

Customer service, investment, maintenance, family experience - boyne is on a different level. Their bronze pass has 38 blackout days next year, my kid's race program has 40 days of training. Every single blackout falls on a training or race day, just a perfectly conceived and priced product.

Just wish they would figure out early and late season but I get that we are in the minority trying to book family ski vacations veterans day weekend and the last week of april every year.

Attachments

• 20220417_094601.jpg
    20220417_094601.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220417_100457.jpg
    20220417_100457.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220417_101534.jpg
    20220417_101534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220417_104420.jpg
    20220417_104420.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220417_104719.jpg
    20220417_104719.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220417_105309.jpg
    20220417_105309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

KustyTheKlown

yea, really wonderful conditions yesterday all things considered. the first few laps on the upper liftline of north peak were tasty. amazing how nice an inch or two can ski sometimes. i repeated it like 5 times+ in a row and managed a completely unskied path each time. you def found the bottom, a lot, but anyone with some sense of how to read a hill could get good turns up there early yesterday. i regret not checking out sunset earlier tho, i am sure the first runs down there were tasty as fuck. i didn't even think of it as a high elevation route with new snow on it until i just used it to get away from north

also the hotel situation in gorham and lincoln has lots of very affordable :):coughDIRTBAGcough::) options. i know its late season, but i stayed in gorham for $75 a night this weekend. i cannot find $75 rooms anywhere in vt anymore. even my rutland shitholes that were $75 during peak covid were all over $100 this year, and close to/over $200 if booked late in the game. super affordable to ski NH and Maine relative to vt, tho i have not found cheap lodging that's actually closer to SR than gorham. i don't mind the 30 min drive but could be stressful in a storm.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was there same time frame yesterday, would have grabbed a quick beer if I knew you were there. Skied loon around 15 days this year, north skied as good yesterday as it has all year. In 40 years of skiing, not sure I remember better conditions on a closing day.

Customer service, investment, maintenance, family experience - boyne is on a different level. Their bronze pass has 38 blackout days next year, my kid's race program has 40 days of training. Every single blackout falls on a training or race day, just a perfectly conceived and priced product.

Just wish they would figure out early and late season but I get that we are in the minority trying to book family ski vacations veterans day weekend and the last week of april every year.

I don't see a compelling business reason for Boyne to operate a longer seasons in the East than they do already. It's already second best to Killington and they just don't have locations that are in reasonable range of NYC.

Razor

yea, really wonderful conditions yesterday all things considered. the first few laps on the upper liftline of north peak were tasty. amazing how nice an inch or two can ski sometimes. i repeated it like 5 times+ in a row and managed a completely unskied path each time. you def found the bottom, a lot, but anyone with some sense of how to read a hill could get good turns up there early yesterday. i regret not checking out sunset earlier tho, i am sure the first runs down there were tasty as fuck. i didn't even think of it as a high elevation route with new snow on it until i just used it to get away from north

also the hotel situation in gorham and lincoln has lots of very affordable :):coughDIRTBAGcough::) options. i know its late season, but i stayed in gorham for $75 a night this weekend. i cannot find $75 rooms anywhere in vt anymore. even my rutland shitholes that were $75 during peak covid were all over $100 this year, and close to/over $200 if booked late in the game. super affordable to ski NH and Maine relative to vt, tho i have not found cheap lodging that's actually closer to SR than gorham. i don't mind the 30 min drive but could be stressful in a storm.

Loon has really grown on me over the years, especially as we are midweek skiers. I like that you can ski so many trails from the North Peak lift and still get back to it. We usually stay at the Quality Inn in Lincoln if we bring our dog. You should check out the Bethel Village Inn and Paws Inn (pet friendly B & B but you don't need a dog to rent a room) for clean, inexpensive lodging near SR.

Loon and Waterville Valley Lift Projects Taking Shape
998d.jpg

998k.jpg