Loon Getting RFID Gates

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Loon Getting RFID Gates

Boyne is launching the next gen of RFID gates and Loon and Big Sky are the first to get them for this season. No more taking you Ikon pass to the ticket window first at Loon.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/boyne...eb16524114.htm

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I hate how these companies always try to say this is being done "for us".

I don't care what they do to increase efficiency or create new outlets for ancillary revenue, just dont assume your customers are stupid.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I hate how these companies always try to say this is being done "for us".

I don't care what they do to increase efficiency or create new outlets for ancillary revenue, just dont assume your customers are stupid.
    What? what new outlet for ancillary revenue does this generate? And do you really believe that paper tickets is just as efficient at RFID?

I know one thing is, it will cut down on big ticket lines with Ikon passholders being able to go straight to the lift now. Wish Sunday River was getting them, the lines our friends with Ikons had to endure last year were nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    What? what new outlet for ancillary revenue does this generate? And do you really believe that paper tickets is just as efficient at RFID?
    Well most places charge $5 to get the RFID card. Paper tickets may have cost something but they never came out charged you .05. And if you ski multiple places a year and not multiple times you end up with all these useless pieces of plastic.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Well most places charge $5 to get the RFID card. Paper tickets may have cost something but they never came out charged you .05. And if you ski multiple places a year and not multiple times you end up with all these useless pieces of plastic.
    Useless I guess, unless you ski the same place again in the future. It's not like you have to replace them every year. My point I was trying to make is I don't feel in anyway that ski resorts are installing RFID systems to generate revenue off the 5 dollar charge for the card (I should have made that clearer in my original post). I do think that they provide some pretty good benefits for skiers - the fact that you no longer need to stand in line to get a lift ticket, can track all your runs, not have to worry about having cash or a credit card with you, look up wait times for lifts, etc. There is of course many benefits that ski areas get by using RFID, including a shit load of marketing data (missed this before in my original post, so yes they make revenue off of RFID systems), lift utilization information, skier visits data, skier traffic information, etc. And even some of those benefits could result in benefits for us. I would think that after a season of having a RFID system installed, operators would have enough data on lift utilization to make a determination for potential lift upgrades or additions.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    What? what new outlet for ancillary revenue does this generate?
    I was going to respond, but it looks like you later answered your own question or learned about what ski areas do with RFID since then.

In any event, point is, RFID is not a benevolent & generous act to spread more sunshine & rainbows upon your day, it's a tool to help the resort make money. Either just be honest about it, or simply say nothing, but some resorts instead choose to pee-on-your-leg-and-tell-you-it's-raining, as if we're all idiots. It's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Well most places charge $5 to get the RFID card.
    Oh, that's insufferable.

Thankfully not all of them do this, but yeah; I have to PAY $5 for you to make more money off me.

I was going to respond, but it looks like you later answered your own question or learned about what ski areas do with RFID since then.

In any event, point is, RFID is not a benevolent & generous act to spread more sunshine & rainbows upon your day, it's a tool to help the resort make money. Either just be honest about it, or simply say nothing, but some resorts instead choose to pee-on-your-leg-and-tell-you-it's-raining, as if we're all idiots. It's annoying.
    Do you think that skiers benefit from RFID usage?

Not entirely accurate. RFID benefits both consumer and the hill.

It benefits the mountain be reducing labor costs long term, preventing theft, and by collecting metrics to later be used to make business decisions.

That said, RFID is extremely expensive to deploy. When I looked into it for our small hill it was around $30K for a couple hand helds and the back end plus badges. That's excluding infrastructure costs (power and comm). You can do the math how much it would then cost a large hill to do. They aren't likely going to see a ROI for a number of years.

For the consumer, it certainly cuts down on wait time and I personally appreciate everyone needing to pay for the same services that I did vs just sneak up.

Thread Information