IKON Adds Zermatt - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    First, you're confusing Zermatt with Switzerland. I can tell you I DID ski 2 separate trips in Switzerland (one to Jungfrau, another to St Moritz) and BOTH cost less than $2000 including lift tickets and food. So on that figure, a family of 5 CAN ski Switzerland for under $10k.
    I am confusing nothing. Another poster made a claim that a family of five cannot ski Switzerland (not Zermatt) for less than $10,000. No one in this thread has provided any evidence that a family of five can ski Switzerland for meaningfully less than this. I don't recall seeing a report of your trip to Switzerland on the forum. If your trip happened more than a few years ago, the cost is completely irrelevant to whether a family of five can ski Switzerland for under $10,000 TODAY. So, to reiterate - this thread has not shown that skiing Switzerland is less expensive the people think. The fact that I thought an east coast family of five can ski out west for significantly less than $10,000 (which you are fixating on) is also completely irrelevant to this conversation. At most, it shows that skiing out West is significantly more expensive than I thought (which I am happy to concede). It has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue of whether skiing in Switzerland is less expensive than people think (i.e., significantly less than $10,000 for a family of five, which is the only amount that has been offered in this thread as evidence of what people think it costs to ski Switzerland).

In fact, I would have thought a family of five could also ski Switzerland for meaningfully less than $10,000. Thus, all this thread has done is show me that skiing Switzerland (and the western US, apparently) is more expensive than I would have thought.

I have never skied in the US west with my family of 5 where it has even cost me 6k let alone 10k. (Tahoe, Colorado, SLC)
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

You can definitely do a ski week (say 9 days bookend'ed) with a family of 5 out west (Utah, Colorado), with say 6 days of skiing, for less than $10k practicing basic S.O.T.C. techniques.

Though never mentioned (and it probably would be mocked if mentioned), shopping is a skill, and the average person doesn't excel at it. When you take shopping seriously, when you actually consider shopping a form of work, huge savings can be had.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Problem is that proving you can ski out west for much less than $10,000 for a family of 5 (which I would assume) has nothing to do with the costs for going to Switzerland.

I'm spoiled and traveled extensively all through Europe on my parent's dime through college. So perhaps for me it's just not worth it to spend that much going back. And I'm not wealthy enough to put 3 kids through college and travel to Europe (or out west for that matter).

But those are my priorities and as such irrelevant to this discussion.

You can fly from NY to Geneva for approximately $550 per person in February, you can rent a midsize suv for $500 for the week, figure $4,000 for lodging, right now the exchange rate is approximately one to one, yes you can compare the costs of Europe to out west but the experience is not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by heiusa View Post
    You can fly from NY to Geneva for approximately $550 per person in February, you can rent a midsize suv for $500 for the week, figure $4,000 for lodging, right now the exchange rate is approximately one to one, yes you can compare the costs of Europe to out west but the experience is not the same.
    Not sure what you mean by the experience but I was considering a trip over to Switzerland this season before the Ikon announcement. When I was pricing things out I noticed that the costs were similar to a ski trip out west but thought that the accommodations here at the US resorts are nicer.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    I was considering a trip over to Switzerland this season before the Ikon announcement. When I was pricing things out I noticed that the costs were similar to a ski trip out west but thought that the accommodations here at the US resorts are nicer.
    Accommodation is better in the US (bigger rooms, many have pool). Food is better in Europe.

That's really the root of the "perceived" more expensive for skiing in Europe. Most ski club trips to Europe typically try to get the same accommodation style (hotel with big rooms and pool) as in the US. Since those are uncommon over there, and is typically only available on high end properties, it really drive up the cost of most club trips.

I never failed to beat the club trip price, even without having to share room with others! Yes, the room are typically smaller. Instead of having a room meant for 2 (or 4!) people for myself, I have a room fit for... ONE! I even managed to have pool and hot tub at less cost as most ski club trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Not sure what you mean by the experience
    The skiing IS different.

One thing, you quite often get to ski from one valley to another, to another, have lunch, and come back via another route. Completely different scenery and perspective. That's rare in the US.

For another, you can't go willy-nilly off the groomer without taking a serious look at the avalanche potential. Even cutting between runs can have consequence.

So, for the powder hounds, better bone up on avalanche knowledge. Or, bring your American Express to hire guides. But for groomer zoomers, It's fantastic. You can crank in gazillion miles in a day, do it day after day for a week without repeating the same trail!

Thread Information