First time

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time

First time

Hello,

I'm from Belgium, with a lot of skiing experience in the Alps.

Now I'm planning on going across the ocean next winter, but what would be the best to visit?

I ski 70% on piste and 30% powder, depending on the conditions of course.

Belgian woman, wanting to go to US and Canada for the first time, to find out if the snow is better

Big Sky, Aspen, Alta, Jackson Hole, Whistler...

West of Mississippi.

Western US. Utah probably has the most reliable snow.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Looks like you can fly direct from Amsterdam to slc for shockingly short money. If looking for the best ski experience stay at the Peruvian in alta. If looking for variety stay in sandy and do one day each at brighton, solitude, alta, snowbird, park city, deer valley. If looking to booze and ski stay in park city. I have never skied powmow or snowbasin - many say they are worth the drive.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

I would consider Vail. It's one of the largest well known ski resorts in the US with lots of nice hotel and restaurant options within their village. Plus your within an hour of another 5 or 6 ski resorts if you want to try other places. I guess you could say the same with Park City as well so there is really no wrong choice between those two ski areas.

Are you planning on buying an Epic or Ikon pass for the trip? Day passes at a lot of the resorts out west are 150 to 200 dollars per day so buying one of those passes can more than pay for themselves if you skied at least 5 to 7 days. If you bought an Epic pass I would recommend Colorado as you can ski Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, and Breckenridge all on that pass. Those 4 resorts are within 45 minutes of each other, Beaver Creek is 15 minutes from Vail.

Alta/Snowbird in Utah are under the Ikon pass and have more challenging terrain than you'll see in Colorado but if you stayed in Park City, which is recommended if you want a village to enjoy, you would have to drive 45 minutes to an hour everyday to ski those mountains. Deer Valley is right near by though which is Utah's fanciest resort. Either way if your coming to the US for the first time to ski, the Vail or Park City areas are two of the best options to consider. I hope that advice is helpful and you enjoy your trip!

Tony
    Last edited by Tonyr; Sep 7, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    I have never skied powmow or snowbasin - many say they are worth the drive.
    I've skied both & they definitely are.

Everyone forgets Sundance though, and I'd suggest that's also worth a day, especially if you've never skied it before.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    If looking to booze and ski stay in park city.
    If booze is a remotely important consideration, avoid Utah for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    If booze is a remotely important consideration, avoid Utah for the rest of your life.
    That's really a misconception. While yes, Utah's alcohol laws are annoying & idiotic, you will still be able to drink on your vacation, pretty much everywhere.

And if this really impacts your "consideration" of ski destination, you've got a problem.

https://www.aa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    I would consider Vail. It's one of the largest well known ski resorts in the US with lots of nice hotel and restaurant options within their village. Plus your within an hour of another 5 or 6 ski resorts if you want to try other places. I guess you could say the same with Park City as well so there is really no wrong choice between those two ski areas.
    Vail is a good choice. But Park City is NOT.

For people coming from Europe, the size of Park City is a joke! There’s really nothing special about PC, even though the village is nice.

Vail is a much more appropriate change for a European skier. The back bowls has to be seen to believe!

For more challenging terrain, Snowbird/Alta, Jackson Hole, Big Sky are all good candidates. I’m partial to Big Sky for its extensive terrain variety. Relative low crowd doesn’t hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Vail is a good choice. But Park City is NOT.

For people coming from Europe, the size of Park City is a joke! There’s really nothing special about PC, even though the village is nice.

Vail is a much more appropriate change for a European skier.
    The back bowls has to be seen to believe!

If you add up all of Park City / Canyons, I have to imagine it's bigger than all of Vail / BSB.

But even if I'm wrong about that, I'm confident the statement that "the size of Park City is a joke" compared to Vail is incorrect. They're both huge.

Thread Information