Zermatt this Winter - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    How was Flumserberg? I've gone past it many times and always wanted to give it a try. I also have wanted to try the area in Liechtenstein. You are so right, there are literally hundreds of small to med sized resorts that will probably be great for a day. That's how I found Pila and why I like skiing in Europe. Discovering the unknown place that no one has ever heard of that absolutely rip.

Go To Engleberg. Trust me its unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Here's my criteria:
    - We are going with 4 to maybe 6 people.
    - We are all expert skiers, want to ski steeper terrain and have some adventure.
    - Planning on hiring a quide for at least one or two days.
    - We may not bring skins and back country gear. Don't have room for two full setups. but will do moderate hikes.
    - We would rather not ski crowded areas or glitzy resorts, just as long as there are good options to have dinner and apre ski.
    - lodging can be a chalet or hotel. We are flexible as long as it is comfortable.
    I don't think you want Zermatt based on your criteria. To me Zermatt is for: 1) romantic gateway (I was there on part of our honeymoon), 2) foodies (truly spectacular places to eat including charming lost restaurants on the mountains that you can ski to and have a 3 star meal), 3) glitzy resort. I did it once for the right occasion and it was a blast, but if I really want to ski in Europe (I grew up there), it's not the place I would return. You might want to look at Les Portes du Soleil, Les Trois Vallées, or if you want a more unusual experience, look into Grandvalira-Vallnord in Andorra (Pyrénées).

Quote Originally Posted by kelly001 View Post
    I don't think you want Zermatt based on your criteria. To me Zermatt is for: 1) romantic gateway (I was there on part of our honeymoon), 2) foodies (truly spectacular places to eat including charming lost restaurants on the mountains that you can ski to and have a 3 star meal), 3) glitzy resort. I did it once for the right occasion and it was a blast, but if I really want to ski in Europe (I grew up there), it's not the place I would return. You might want to look at Les Portes du Soleil, Les Trois Vallées, or if you want a more unusual experience, look into Grandvalira-Vallnord in Andorra (Pyrénées).
    Great info. How would your recommendations change for a mid-December trip?
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Great info. How would your recommendations change for a mid-December trip?
    For sure scratch Andorra for mid-December. I would recommend Les 3 Vallées, which has Val Thorens, one of the highest base resorts (maybe the highest?) in Europe. You could also consider a base at Les Menuires, which is not as high as Val Thorens, but it's an easy lift ride to Val Thorens. Don't recommend Courchevel for early season. In the 3 Vallées, all 3 resorts are interconnected. You can ski freely between them.

Another option is Chamonix. "Smaller" than Les 3 Vallées or Les Portes du Soleil, but if early season snow is lacking, you always have glacier skiing. And you have access to some truly iconic spots such as l'Aiguille du Midi, which gives you access to the famous Vallée Blanche descente (20 kilometers!) and the Mont Blanc is right there. You can also get the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass, which gives you access to Verbier (Switzerland) and Courmayeur (Italy). The three resorts are not interconnected, but shuttles are available or you can get an off-piste guide to discuss options to cross that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly001 View Post
    For sure scratch Andorra for mid-December. I would recommend Les 3 Vallées, which has Val Thorens, one of the highest base resorts (maybe the highest?) in Europe. You could also consider a base at Les Menuires, which is not as high as Val Thorens, but it's an easy lift ride to Val Thorens. Don't recommend Courchevel for early season. In the 3 Vallées, all 3 resorts are interconnected. You can ski freely between them.

Another option is Chamonix. "Smaller" than Les 3 Vallées or Les Portes du Soleil, but if early season snow is lacking, you always have glacier skiing. And you have access to some truly iconic spots such as l'Aiguille du Midi, which gives you access to the famous Vallée Blanche descente (20 kilometers!) and the Mont Blanc is right there. You can also get the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass, which gives you access to Verbier (Switzerland) and Courmayeur (Italy). The three resorts are not interconnected, but shuttles are available or you can get an off-piste guide to discuss options to cross that way.
    Thanks. Val Thorens had been on the radar. Was also looking at Zermatt primarily as I have an Ikon pass, and it has glacier skiing in case of no snow.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Mid-December is a total crapshoot. I would only consider a few places. Not because other places may not have snow, but because these places most certainly will. I like the Tirol area because of a consistent snow history.
    1. The AT Glacier resorts (Stubai, Piztaller and especially Hintertux)
    2. Obergurgul, AT - Non glacial but excellent snow and right next to Solden which has two glaciers, but its more limited than others.
    3. Levi- Finland. Decent vert, very similar to an Eastern US resort, but snow certain.
    4. Ischgl- Maybe- non-glacial but good snow and excellent snowmaking.

Keep in mind that at that time of year off piste in Europe is very limited and often quite dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Here's my criteria:
    - We are going with 4 to maybe 6 people.
    - We are all expert skiers, want to ski steeper terrain and have some adventure.
    - Planning on hiring a quide for at least one or two days.
    - We may not bring skins and back country gear. Don't have room for two full setups. but will do moderate hikes.
    - We would rather not ski crowded areas or glitzy resorts, just as long as there are good options to have dinner and apre ski.
    - lodging can be a chalet or hotel. We are flexible as long as it is comfortable.

Go to Val d'Isere and stay at the Club Med. Ski in/out and guides are included for 5 days of the 6 day lift ticket included. OPen bar 3 meals a day......... amazing place...........

Booking Europe too early can be a real crap shoot. I've had more so so days than really good ones. I did score at Zermatt in February though..even almost got buried in an avalanche! very exciting.

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Booking Europe too early can be a real crap shoot. I've had more so so days than really good ones. I did score at Zermatt in February though..even almost got buried in an avalanche! very exciting.
    Timing is being driven by daughter taking a couple days at the end of her semester abroad to ski. If everything lines up I could join her. So more about family and Alps touring than a pure ski trip. That said, I do want to maximize our chances of getting decent skiing.

New information is my Daughter’s desire to see a World Cup Race in Europe (me too honestly). SO that means either St. Moritz (more likely given it’s the Woman) or Val d’Isere
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    my Daughter’s desire to see a World Cup Race in Europe (me too honestly). SO that means either St. Moritz (more likely given it’s the Woman) or Val d’Isere
    I like your daughter's thinking. I've always wanted to see the Hahnenkamm since I started watching racing when I was younger. Some day.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information