• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Zermatt this Winter

skiberg1

I suspect at some point they will start to dump underperforming assets or simply go belly up like almost all major ski companies (ASC etc.). Vail is quite powerful, but investing in an industry that has not grown in 50 years is dangerous.

crank

So, other than the unique cultural experiences, is there any "ski reason" to ski in Europe as opposed to the US or Canadian Rockies?

As someone said earlier - the size of some of the areas is incredible . The vertical drop can be double the biggest mountains in North America! That plus the cultural aspects, including the food make it a great experience. The snow - not so much.

slatham

I’ve only been to Alps during the summer, but you get the feel for sure. MASSIVE. Otherworldly. I need to go during winter!

BenedictGomez

I suspect at some point they will start to dump underperforming assets or simply go belly up like almost all major ski companies (ASC etc.). Vail is quite powerful, but investing in an industry that has not grown in 50 years is dangerous.

100% correct. But before that, the price increases will come.

2Planker

100% correct. But before that, the price increases will come.

Went to Chamonix 20 years ago. AMAZING !! Skied 3 countries. All types of terrain including the Aguille du Midi.
Food & Culture were probably the best part (even if you don't speak French).

If anywhere in The Alps is now "on your pass" you're crazy not to go.
Go For It !!!

abc

The other situation that is "bound to settle down" is that these Mega-Passes arent going to be this cheap for long. So given you enjoy it, enjoy it while it lasts.
I keep thinking that (aren't going to be so cheap for long"). But it's been cheap for quite a few years now. Starting with MAX, which was crazy good. Especially since few people knew about it, it didn't over-crowd the mountains like Ikon did.

It's getting to the point I'm almost done "sampling" the North American mountains. Time to start venturing overseas again. 3 Valleys om the radar (since I have Epic this year).

BenedictGomez

I keep thinking that (aren't going to be so cheap for long"). But it's been cheap for quite a few years now.

EPIC is maturing (which as I've mentioned before is one of the reasons they're acquisitive), but IKON is still aggressively ramping.

Once IKON matures, both passes with take price increases when penetration either slows or stalls.

RISkier

I'm pretty late to the party here. We've not been to Zermatt but have looked at it. Every time I look at Switzerland it just seems really expensive. We've been to Austria 3 times. A couple of things to think about. Now Im in my 60s so this is probably more acutely on my mind, but insurance. You're often way above the villages and may be between villages in some valley. If you get hurt, you'll probably be taken out by helicopter. And you are responsible for the costs of the rescue. Some place offer rescue insurance at a nominal price. France, for example, offers both an annual rescue pass and a short term mountain rescue pass. I don't recall the names. No idea if Switzerland has something comparable. And some regions will offer their own rescue insurance. And I always buy insurance for other potential health issues. Even if you have good health insurance it may, or may not, reimburse you for medical expenses in Europe. I always buy insurance when traveling to Europe. Last few times we've bought Travelex because they claim to offer primary insurance that will work directly with the medical facility. I buy 1$ worth of travel protection and $100k of medical. Not all insurance will cover things like ski injuries. Travelex does offer a rider that does. Don't know if it's any good. I've never had to use it. But it gives me peace of mind. Wherever you go, do som research on the mountain huts. They are often pretty small, quaint, and often offer food that is a huge cut above anything you get at most places in the US (Deer Valley, Sun Valley, Snowbasin are possible exceptions). Some offer pretty basic food, but try to find a few of the better ones to stop at for lunch. We've been to the Arlberg twice and Saalbach-Hinterglem once. If you're still looking I'd at least take a look at the Arlberg. These days it's large, there are a range of villages in which to stay, it (especially the Warth-Schrocken and Lech-Zuers) areas have a good reputation for snow, and it's convenient for travel. Get a direct Friday night flight to Zurich, pick up your luggage, walk outside and get on the Arlberg Express, sit back and relax. Depending on the specific village it'll somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 hours. The return trip is basically the same, direct to the airport. FWIW, the Arlberg is one place that offers it's own rescue insurance; I think it was 15 euro a week for each of us. We enjoyed Saalbach-Hinterglem but the travel on both ends ended up to be a real trial. Boston to Paris to Munich. Then heavy traffic in Munich so it ended up being close to 5 hours getting from the Munich airport to Saalbach. Return trip as at least as bad. Other places I've looked at quite a lot: Dolomites. Probably either Cortina (more for the experience than the skiing) or someplace on the Sella Ronda (Corvara and Selva have kind of caught my eye). Scenery in the Dolomites is reputed to be absolutely stunning and the mountain huts plentiful. Zermatt. I know the lift system isn't the most convenient. But it's on the Matterhorn and you can ski off the other side into Cervinia. Jungfrau region in Switzerland; again largely because the scenery is consistently reputed to be absolutely stunning. Wherever you end up going, have fun and post lots of pics.

2Planker

One word - CHAMONIX

Nothing compares to Chamonix !
Go, you will not regret it

RISkier

I also meant to mention a book named "Where to Ski and Snowboard Anywhere." They've updated it annually. You should find it on Amazon.