Winter 2019/2020 - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    From Jessica Facebook forecaster
    Who been very reliable since I started following her few years ago

I hope all y'all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving

Today will be dry, but cold and a bit breezy. Friday will start out Okay, but a storm will be in the Midwest. This storm is currently on a track similar to many of the other storms of late, but the setup is a little different. We’re going to have blocking high pressure in Eastern Canada back into the Great Lakes. This is going to force our storm’s energy to turn south and east. The transfer of energy will allow a secondary storm to form off the Mid Atlantic Coast. This transfer looks to start later Sunday morning.

The track and extent of the cold air will be a major factor in who sees what. But based on a blend of the American and European models…. this is looking very possible.

The General Idea:

Rain will move into southwest Pennsylvania late Saturday afternoon/evening into Saturday night. During the overnight (1-2 AM) Sunday morning, rain will change over to freezing rain (ZR) for western into central Pennsylvania (southwest Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh should see mainly rain). As we move into Sunday morning ZR will be falling over Northern Pennsylvania into western New York State. The ZR looks to fall for several hours. This could lead to quite a bit of ice accretion (0.10 to 0.25 inches with localized amounts of 0.50 inches). During the afternoon snow will be falling over interior New York State, Vermont, into New Hampshire. and most of southern New England. By Sunday night the coastal low will be wrapping up. And banding will be setting up, right now that looks to be across the eastern Mohawk Valley, the New York Capital District, and across Massachusetts, and most likely back into Northwest Pennsylvania and Southwest New York State (South and east of Syracuse and Utica) (Poconos and the Catskills 6+). The storm will last through Monday into Tuesday morning. Parts of Eastern New York State (around Albany could be the jackpot), back into Northwest Pennsylvania (Scranton), Southern Vermont Southern New Hampshire, Southern Maine, Massachusetts (Boston 6+) and parts of northern Connecticut look to see fairly significant and plowable snow (6 to 12+ inches). Snow amounts west and north of these areas will see lower amounts, but areas like State College and the Finger Lakes will still most likely end up with some snow. Northern New York State, northern Vermont, northern New Hampshire, and northern Maine will see lesser amounts than those to the south.

This is all subject to change as things evolve.
    This is based on my analysis, for official information go to your local NWS website.

I will have more later this evening and tomorrow.

From Jessica Facebook forecaster
    https://www.facebook.com/25498278121...2908346423185/
    I hope all y'all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving
    https://m.facebook.com/rebeccanorthe...&source=result
    Today will be dry, but cold and a bit breezy. Friday will start out Okay, but a storm will be in the Midwest. This storm is currently on a track similar to many of the other storms of late, but the setup is a little different. We’re going to have blocking high pressure in Eastern Canada back into the Great Lakes. This is going to force our storm’s energy to turn south and east. The transfer of energy will allow a secondary storm to form off the Mid Atlantic Coast. This transfer looks to start later Sunday morning.

The track and extent of the cold air will be a major factor in who sees what. But based on a blend of the American and European models…. this is looking very possible.

The General Idea:

Rain will move into southwest Pennsylvania late Saturday afternoon/evening into Saturday night. During the overnight (1-2 AM) Sunday morning, rain will change over to freezing rain (ZR) for western into central Pennsylvania (southwest Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh should see mainly rain). As we move into Sunday morning ZR will be falling over Northern Pennsylvania into western New York State. The ZR looks to fall for several hours. This could lead to quite a bit of ice accretion (0.10 to 0.25 inches with localized amounts of 0.50 inches). During the afternoon snow will be falling over interior New York State, Vermont, into New Hampshire. and most of southern New England. By Sunday night the coastal low will be wrapping up. And banding will be setting up, right now that looks to be across the eastern Mohawk Valley, the New York Capital District, and across Massachusetts, and most likely back into Northwest Pennsylvania and Southwest New York State (South and east of Syracuse and Utica) (Poconos and the Catskills 6+). The storm will last through Monday into Tuesday morning. Parts of Eastern New York State (around Albany could be the jackpot), back into Northwest Pennsylvania (Scranton), Southern Vermont Southern New Hampshire, Southern Maine, Massachusetts (Boston 6+) and parts of northern Connecticut look to see fairly significant and plowable snow (6 to 12+ inches). Snow amounts west and north of these areas will see lower amounts, but areas like State College and the Finger Lakes will still most likely end up with some snow. Northern New York State, northern Vermont, northern New Hampshire, and northern Maine will see lesser amounts than those to the south.

This is all subject to change as things evolve.
    This is based on my analysis, for official information go to your local NWS website.

I will have more later this evening and tomorrow.

Its going to snow in the Cats..because..i will be there...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

[QUOTE=ScottySkis;1029538]From Jessica Facebook forecaster
    https://www.facebook.com/25498278121...2908346423185/
    I
    https://m.facebook.com/rebeccanorthe...&source=result
    The Northeast is seeing its first significant widespread snowstorm of the season. I've seen around 8 inches of snow.

Snow is falling this morning across interior areas of the Northeast, from Pennsylvania, New York State, and New England. Boston, New York City and Philadelphia are seeing their first real accumulation of the season Rain showers are affecting areas closer to the coast, the I 95, across southern and southwest Pennsylvania. but most of these areas should see snow develop later today.

Winter storm warnings and winter weather advisories have been issued by the National Weather Service across a broad area from Maine into Pennsylvania. Heavy snow bands setup last evening/night, dumped a lot of snow across parts of the region. Winds with gust around 40 mph are impacting the Coast, while winds with gust of 20-30 mph are over the interior.

I'm seeing the expected post on a busted forecast for certain areas. But this isn't over yet...or even started yet for parts of eastern Pennsylvania Into New England. These areas will most likely see snow from part two...........

Part one is basically over, today into Tuesday we will be dealing with part two. The coastal low is stalled east of New Jersey and south of Long Island. Several inches of additional snow are likely from northeast Pennsylvania, northern New Jersey Southeast New York/Hudson Valley (north of New York City) and much of New England. Central/southern Connecticut, Rhode Island and southeast Massachusetts, look to see 2-4 inches. Even the Jersey Shore should see 1-2 inches. Northeast Pennsylvania Allentown, Scranton, down into Philadelphia, Southeast New York State including Albany and across much of western and northern Connecticut will likely see 3 to 6 inches of additional snow today. Massachusetts, Southern Vermont, Southern New Hampshire and Eastern New England will see 6-18 inches of additional snow. The Tuesday commute across these areas will be rough. Maryland and Delaware north of DC could see a dusting to an inch or so of snow.

Today snow amounts will depend on where banding sets up. So, differences in snow amounts will likely occur over relatively short distances. Some areas will see more than I’m showing others will see less than I’m showing……. We’re use to snowstorms and banding so this is nothing new. But generally this is how it should work out.

Snow will be winding down Tuesday afternoon and it should mostly be over with by Tuesday night.

A fast-moving clipper system moving through the region this morning will track over New York State and New England, this afternoon and evening. Here is a look at radar from Weather Tap. The snow will make it into eastern Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine this afternoon. This is/will bring New York State and New England. Much of New York State (north of the southern tier) into central and southern Vermont, southern New Hampshire, northern Massachusetts, into Maine will see generally 1-4 inches of snow, with higher elevations seeing a bit more perhaps 6- maybe 8 inches. The NYS southern tier into northern Pennsylvania and across the rest of Massachusetts back into Southeast New York State south of the NYS Capital District, and central Pennsylvania a Dusting to an inch or so of a mix/snow is likely (The Catskills into the Poconos 1-3 inches is possible) . The rest of the region will see mostly rain. Most of the precipitation will be exiting the coast later this evening.

Behind the clipper high pressure will setup, ushering in colder temperatures for tonight into Saturday. As we approach Sunday southerly winds ahead of another system, will bring warm temperatures, with rain showers for Monday and Tuesday. Both Monday and Tuesday will be quite warm. A strong cold front will approach late Tuesday, as the cold front moves through rain will change over to a mix / snow. Winds will become very blustery and temperatures will plummet. Wednesday will see lingering snow showers, especially in higher elevations across New York State and New England. Winds will stay gusty with cold temperatures. Thursday will see the cold continue. Lake Effect Snow, is looking likely for Wednesday and at least Thursday. Wind direction will determine who sees what, but the typical areas east and southeast of the Great Lakes will end up with snow…..were the most persistent bands set up significant snow is quite possible.
    From my very very reliable forecasters from Facebook Rebecca north east

More awesome news from oh Rebecca I think I love your forecasts and accuracy

"I do what to touch on the mid to long range……….

As I said in the earlier post, we will have a strong cold front dropping in Tuesday night into Wednesday. The front will be slow moving, the upper air profile is such that a wave of low pressure could form along the frontal boundary. Looking at the current satellite and radar map, we can see the current clipper moving through the Northeast; we can also see a disturbance moving into northern California and Oregon; this is going to drop south and east as it develops, as we approach mid-week this piece of energy will be near or over the Gulf of Mexico. With the cold front extending deep into the south, low pressure could develop, and then move north and east. How this tracks will depend on the speed of the trough as it pushes east.

We’re still a week out, so exact details are difficult. But, Tuesday into Wednesday two pieces of energy, one on the northern stream, the other on the Southern stream will have to be watched. Depending on timing, these two pieces could interact as the Northern wave slows down, allowing the Southern wave to catch up and merge. As the trough takes a negative tilt, we could have a storm riding along the coast or just inland of the coast. With the cold air coming in, an interior snow storm is possible for Midweek into the 2nd half of next week. For the I-95 corridor and Northern Mid Atlantic, rain could change over to some snow, as colder air overtakes the region. But given the setup there is also a chance the leading trough won't slow down enough for a phase to occur, If this is the case, this becomes a Cutter and moving over the Great Lakes to our west. We have lots of time for this to change one way or the other, right now it’s a watch and see.

It’s way too soon, to talk impacts; but, I did want to let you know about it.

The longer range

By Wednesday, we will be in the beginning stages of a major pattern change. This is tied into the Sudden Stratospheric Warming event; I’ve been talking about. We’re going to see steep ridging develop over Western North America, as the deep trough overtakes much of the Eastern CONUS. This setup is going to lead to a stormy pattern over the Northern Plains into the Great Lakes and Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Heading into Mid-Month, I expect to see a very deep trough over the Eastern CONUS, this should extend well into Florida. Starting around the 10th, It looks to be a robust active pattern, with several systems rotating through. As expected the Southeast ridge will be extending at times, but I think predominately it will be overall cold as we head toward Christmas…..but the exact timing of the warm and cold shots is unclear at this time.

Model images from Tropical Tidbits."

Thread Information