• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This (broken) website

bdfreetuna

Google AdSense on this website with the traffic it gets is highly profitable. I'd love to be in the position to have a site, or a few like this to sit back and collect Google checks on.

Not saying I have any expectations or complaints on the sites performance, although as we all know the down time is pretty bad. But I'm a web developer and at this point the site is a consistent cash cow (maybe not a big cash cow but don't underestimate it either) with very little effort and investment needed to maintain status quo.

I haven't done ad sponsored sites in 15+ years but I was making $1,000 a month on sites with 1/5th of the traffic at the time. Not saying that equates with today's AdSense (I'm not familiar with the going rate today) but I'm sure it's well worth it financially to keep the site online.

A couple days of downtime (times 10 times a year) does hit Nick in the wallet... compound that with users frustrated or new users who think the site doesn't exist -- it does add up and hurt the long term sustainable income. I'm sure this is why the site is fixed ASAP (although frequently) and not just let to die.

Last edited:

cdskier

Google AdSense on this website with the traffic it gets is highly profitable. I'd love to be in the position to have a site, or a few like this to sit back and collect Google checks on.

Not saying I have any expectations or complaints on the sites performance, although as we all know the down time is pretty bad. But I'm a web developer and at this point the site is a consistent cash cow (maybe not a big cash cow but don't underestimate it either) with very little effort and investment needed to maintain status quo.

I haven't done ad sponsored sites in 15+ years but I was making $1,000 a month on sites with 1/5th of the traffic at the time. Not saying that equates with today's AdSense (I'm not familiar with the going rate today) but I'm sure it's well worth it financially to keep the site online.

A couple days of downtime (times 10 times a year) does hit Nick in the wallet... compound that with users frustrated or new users who think the site doesn't exist -- it does add up and hurt the long term sustainable income. I'm sure this is why the site is fixed ASAP (although frequently) and not just let to die.

It really amazes me that companies are still paying for impressions instead of only for clicks on ads. I guess the logic must be that people will remember the advertiser later on (like a billboard on a highway). I never even look at the ones on AZ though. I scroll so quickly down that I never even see them.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

Sure it's disappointing when the site is down...then again, none of us have any skin in the game. I think it would be a slightly different story if the site required paid access.

To echo what others have said: I'm glad this forum is still around. Facebook groups just don't do it for me. And the fact that I'm on FB once a week if that probably speaks to why. :lol:

Dickc

Deadheadskier is also a member of the K-Zone. If I see something wrong here, I will PM him at KZone and that triggers an email to him to see what he message is. If you join KZone, it takes a good half dozen posts before you can PM. It's how they weed out the bots.