• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This (broken) website

p_levert

Nick is moving the same software to another web hosting service. I hope that fixes the problem.

But we may also have a problem with the software, which seems difficult to manage. It might make sense to switch to something else. There are a number of options out there.

BenedictGomez

That's wild though, you'd think before taking draconian action like shutting you down a host would do you the courtesy of reaching out to say the default credit card's expired, etc...

MEtoVTSkier

Lol! It wasn't set up for re-occuring payments in this day and age? Lol! Can't even make this stuff up. What's next, forget to renew the domain name?

cdskier

Lol! It wasn't set up for re-occuring payments in this day and age? Lol! Can't even make this stuff up. What's next, forget to renew the domain name?

Sounded like to me it WAS setup for recurring payments, but the CC changed and needed to be updated.

p_levert

If Nick was serious about keeping this website running properly, he would provide his cellphone number to a few key users. Then one of these people would text him when there was an issue. Really, it's a completely normal thing.

And if the web hosting service was a quality operator and the forum software was chosen properly, Nick would only get one or two texts a year.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
If Nick was serious about keeping this website running properly, he would provide his cellphone number to a few key users. Then one of these people would text him when there was an issue. Really, it's a completely normal thing.

And if the web hosting service was a quality operator and the forum software was chosen properly, Nick would only get one or two texts a year.
We can contact Nick and do when the site has issues. Sometimes it takes a day or two to fix it. That said not much attention is paid to AZ these days. The good news is that it's still up and running many message boards have closed up shop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

If it's not your credit card that's keeping the light on, then it's kind of hard to complain.

Zand

If it's not your credit card that's keeping the light on, then it's kind of hard to complain.

My thoughts exactly. Sure it may not be the most kept up place in the world, but Nick could just as easily say screw it and close it down, not worth worrying about. Despite the dwindling amount of active members, there is still a lot of good discussion and information here and it would suck if it was gone.

bdfreetuna

The site is funded by advertising, which I only notice when turning off my ad-blocker. But we are keeping the lights on, so to speak, by posting here and continuing to make ad impressions.

This is also likely the reason it's impossible to get banned from this forum. Every hit counts! Look how many impressions/views some of the threads on here get. Way too profitable to shut down, even if user engagement is off it's peak, lurkers count just as much (although do not drive conversation and engagement so overall not as valuable) and I would think profitable enough to proactively maintain.

MEtoVTSkier

That's why I complain, I care. If Nick is sick of the site, does he want someone to take it off his hands?

If it wasn't making enough money to at least break even, I'm sure Nick would have cut it loose by now, so that tells me it is bringing him in SOME supplemental income.

There are currently 613 users online. 53 members and 560 guests

MEtoVTSkier

Forums seem to keep surviving. Sugarloaftoday, while no overly active, keeps trudging along. When Sunday River closed theirs down, a User stepped up immediately and created a new one and continued on. Killingtonzone, SnowJournal, Liftblog, Northeast Mountain Sports, Pugski, Newschoolers, TGR.... e.c.t. e.c.t. There obviously is still a demand for such products.

abc

By the site being down rather frequently, the post count is WAY OFF from its heyday. Down also, goes the income.

On the other hand, time also has value. If the time it takes is excessive, the site ceases to be profitable.

The amount of time (or the lack of it) Nick spends on keeping it up, tells me he doesn’t get much income out of this site.
So the concern of p_levert is legitimate.