Cold is coming...

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cold is coming...

Ok so I have been looking at this for a few days now there is a general consensus between the weather models that we could get a very nice shot of cold air next Thursday-Sunday (3rd-6th). Cold enough to blow for a few nights in the upper elevations of VT/NH/ME. Of course many things could change between now and next weekend but it is worth watching. Of course this would be crazzzzzzy early in the season but not unheard of.

A few mountains to look at...
    Killington- has opened on October 1st a few times, not since the 90s. I've always heard they get their snowmaking system ready to go in late September. However, the new North Ridge Quad is not ready to go (pics/discussion on K-zone). Super hypothetical here but if it is cold enough maybe they blow Superstar for us mortals before blowing World Cup snow once the new North Ridge lift is open and skiing can move up there. Opening on Superstar before October 15th would be BEASTLY indeed!

Mount Snow- Anyone's guess here. With the new West Lake they flexed their muscles last year and said they were ready to be an early season player. But this was pre-Vail. Has the early season ship sailed? Mount Snow has "pre-opened" early early in October on their beginner slope for a rail jam.

Sunday River- they've never opened before mid-October so their capability/willingness to do so is unknown. But if Killington's lift project runs long and Mount Snow isn't in the early season game SR could absolutely blow away their early season competition after (in my onion) floundering the past few seasons ever since Killington got rid of Nyberg.

All it takes is a few degrees. A few degrees warmer than the models depict now and I become the laughing stock of AZ. A few degrees colder and there'd be a serious snowmaking window there if anyone wants to take it.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

NOAA probability outlook for temperatures. This is probability of below average temperatures not magnitude.

Idk why it posted pretty small but this is the outlook for 4-10
    noaa19-20.jpg

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...ctions/814day/
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

You might see the mice go flying but nothing more.
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

I love this.... Let’s Go. I skied Mt Snow On October 27th last year. After 6 months off Snow it sure was Fun!!!!

Bretton Woods...

Killington is the only real player who would pull the trigger.

But they sure take their time with construction - so I don’t see them having a lift. And at the rate they are going some other areas will be open before them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    NOAA probability outlook for temperatures. This is probability of below average temperatures not magnitude.

Idk why it posted pretty small but this is the outlook for 4-10
    noaa19-20.jpg

My favorite part of this is it's a completely flip-flop from literally just a few days ago.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

8-14 looks below average cold too, with average precip.

Hoping for some mountaintop dustings of snow for some rare snowliage photography
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Killington is the only real player who would pull the trigger.

But they sure take their time with construction - so I don’t see them having a lift. And at the rate they are going some other areas will be open before them this year.
    Given that as of a week ago, per the Green Mountain Control Systems FB page and post, the haul rope had been pulled and was just awaiting splicing, the chairs were assembled, and they (GMCS was involved in very active final wiring work) and now today, from the Killington Peak webcam, in between the clouds, it appears that there are chairs hanging from the haul rope, it would seem like load testing and certification of the lift won't be that far off.

I'm guessing that Killington had Leitner/Poma had October 1st (or something right around there) as the agreed upon finish date, and from what can be discerned from multiple images, that seems like the lift is very close to being completed right now
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Thread Information