• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guns are set up on Rime!

machski

Yes, the shots I saw on NE Ski Industry showed the guns out, with the Haul Rope up and spliced but no chairs hung. I would guess K still needs 1-2 weeks more to hang them, test out the systems, load test and get the certification from the tram board. I would think that gives them a ready date right around mid October, allowing for a typical mid to late run if Ma Nature cooperates. I wonder more what type of a cluster F the base of the K1 is going to be and lodge for day 1.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

Per photos on Kzone Chairs are being hung, and lift is being powered by electric for that operation. Also someone said Jeff Temple said the lift will be ready by 10/9.

drjeff

Per photos on Kzone Chairs are being hung, and lift is being powered by electric for that operation. Also someone said Jeff Temple said the lift will be ready by 10/9.

Just as an FYI, the only time that lift, or basically any lift, runs on anything but electric is when the auxillary diesel is in use.

If you're smelling diesel as you near the terminal with the drive motor and there's not a snowcat or 2 in the immediate area, chances are that the lift is running on auxillary, and you won't be riding it too much longer than day

Newpylong

Not entirely true. Modern chairs can be ordered with 2 APU drives. The Secondary diesel is usually sized appropriately to power the lift at near design speed. While the second (the real emergency APU) is much smallet an just long enough to evacuate the lift. This is why there are some chairs that (the Sugarloaf Superquad comes to mind) that have operated on diesel for days on end when they have lost power or there is an electric curtailment. Keep in mind you cannot continue to load the lift with only a single drive available. This is whennthe multiple APUs come in.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Sometimes ski areas use diesel to lower peak electric demand. Often pricing per kilowatt hour for the entire month is based on peak demand.

MEtoVTSkier

Not entirely true. Modern chairs can be ordered with 2 APU drives. The Secondary diesel is usually sized appropriately to power the lift at near design speed. While the second (the real emergency APU) is much smallet an just long enough to evacuate the lift. This is why there are some chairs that (the Sugarloaf Superquad comes to mind) that have operated on diesel for days on end when they have lost power or there is an electric curtailment. Keep in mind you cannot continue to load the lift with only a single drive available. This is whennthe multiple APUs come in.

Can't you also order hydraulic drive backups that can be hooked up to a groomers hydraulics that can also be used for emergency evacs? Or do you have to decide on one OR the other option...

Glenn

Stratton ran Ursa off diesel at the end of 17/18 IIRC. There was some issue with the electric drive that was an extensive fit. They wanted to wait until the off season to address it. This was according to a an employee I spoke with at the base of the lift one weekend.

mister moose

Can't you also order hydraulic drive backups that can be hooked up to a groomers hydraulics that can also be used for emergency evacs? Or do you have to decide on one OR the other option...

This would be horribly slow for all but the smallest lifts. Flow rate, lower groomer hp, hose losses, all add up.

chuckstah

This would be horribly slow for all but the smallest lifts. Flow rate, lower groomer hp, hose losses, all add up.
I was evac'd from a lift by cat power at Bretton Woods once. Slow for sure, but it got the job done. Lift was running on diesel before, so last option, I guess.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

cold enough tomorrow night (28) to blow if they want to. but prob no sense to it since the overnight lows are 35ish the following few days.

machski

cold enough tomorrow night (28) to blow if they want to. but prob no sense to it since the overnight lows are 35ish the following few days.
With New Northridge quad close but not all set to go, doubt they blow up on Rime. But they might start blowing a pile on upper SS if they think they will have a long enough window to start the WC stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

Its the mooooooossssssssttttttt wonderful tiiiimmmmeeeeeee oooooooofffffffff the YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR