• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

T4T ..........Toast

skiur

not really, that forum has been beyond dead the last few years......they were lucky if they got 2 posts a month.

abc

Internet forums have been dying a slow death for the past 10 years.

A victim of Facebook, I'm told. Though I can't say I quite understand.

How long will THIS forum last? There hadn't been a whole lot of traffic during the off-season (summer). But even during ski season, its traffic is sporadic. Long period of little to no activity even in winter.

In the mean time, the cost of running the forum isn't exactly cheap, especially in terms of admin labor. It's not a very profitable proposition for the owner.

Edd

Internet forums have been dying a slow death for the past 10 years.

A victim of Facebook, I'm told. Though I can't say I quite understand.

How long will THIS forum last? There hadn't been a whole lot of traffic during the off-season (summer). But even during ski season, its traffic is sporadic. Long period of little to no activity even in winter.

I’m not privy to the traffic numbers here, but Vail buying Peaks was a shot of summer adrenaline by my observation. We don’t get that every summer.

Agree winters are slower than, say, three years ago. I’d sure miss it if it went away but we’re not at the T4T stage yet.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was up at Wildcat / Pinkham Notch this past weekend. I haven't skied Tucks since I think 2002 but I remember getting on that forum way back then.

Cornhead

Yep, not much going on there recently. I hit their "slackfest" at the snowfields in 2011. I hiked and skied Tucks the next day. What a great Memorial Day weekend. I'll never forget everyone discussing their weekend plans at work. I was asked what I was doing, when I said skiing, the reply was, water skiing?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

I’d sure miss it if it went away but we’re not at the T4T stage yet.
I would miss it IF it goes away. And I hope it won't.

I'm just saying many other forums had gone away! Telemarktips, epicski, and a bunch of non-skiing forums I used to frequent. One whitewater forum is on its last leg: for sale, but with only like 1 post in the past month (this is prime season for whitewater, mind you)!

Even forums I still belong to and participate in, traffic has been trending down for the last few years. Some forums I admit I abandoned due to lack of interesting post to read. As a consequence, no participation from me, which doesn't help to bring up traffic. It's a vicious cycle, one poster a time.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
They had a format change a couple years earlier that seemed to be a turning point for traffic . Sad part is the loss of info for first timers to Tucks . Being a flatlander and not knowing the areas I would never have known about all of the dangers ( Ice fall areas to avoid, undermined areas ect.) that can get you into trouble if you're not cautious or just not familiar with above treeline dangers.

JimG.

Staff member
I would miss it IF it goes away. And I hope it won't.

I just looked and am amazed to find I've been here for 15 years.

This forum has been shot at and beaten to death and it still survives.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
As the admin of another forum, I can tell you that if member can self police, behave like adults, don't specifically look for trouble, it makes a difference.

Don't make work for the mod and then if the forum is marginal (profitwise) the admin may leave it going longer.

I still think, for skiing, forums have something that facebook doesn't. But I am clearly in the minority on that.

Glenn

I like forums. I can see posts in the order they appear. I'm not subjected to some algorithm that thinks it's showing me what I want to see. I probably sound like an old dude. :lol:

abc

The whole point of internet is we get to choose what we read/hear/listen/watch, instead of some big media company deciding what their audience want to hear/read...

But with the consolidation, we're back to a few big "social" media company deciding what we want to hear/read...

I think for those of us who prefer forums because we want to do what we want rather than being force fed, we're unfortunately a minority. The rest of the population all went to Facebook & Twiter etc.